Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Ain't she pretty! My Bob Jackson has arrived
  • BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Build pics to follow 😀

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Niiiiiicccccceeee!

trail_rat
    Free Member

grease those cable adjusters often 😉 – cracked a set out of the mrs omega last year with eaziouts but it was touch and go 🙁

prevention is better than cure …

lovely frame 😀

labsey
    Free Member

That is nice mate.

winterfold
    Free Member

very nice – not tempted by the enamelled head badge?

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Keeping the weight down winterfold 8)

IamSam
    Free Member

nice bike Ben……………….

Would it have got you down Snowdon though 😆

winterfold
    Free Member

good answer – had it on the scales yet?

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Sam, it was the uplift day that was that scared me off

Shibboleth
    Free Member

What build are you planning?

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Winterfold, its a 23.5 inch frame (59cm in new money) the luggage scales say 2.3 kg which means its a kilo heavier than the carbon frame it replaces.

To begin with its being built with the kit of my old bike so I expect it to come in around 19 pounds which is about what I expected

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Shibboleth, bits as follows

Columbus Minimal fork
    DuraAce/ Ultegra mix
    Chris King/ambrosio excellence wheels
    Bontrager carbon chainset
    Thompson stem/post
    3T Ergosum bars
    Crank Bros Quattro pedals

Good functional stuff for big Yorkshire rides

fasthaggis

Likes 🙂

addy6402

If there was a *jealous* smiley I’d post it here…enjoy!

winterfold
    Free Member

19lb is pretty good IMO, the weight isnt what you get a frame like that for anyway, I was just curious

I would be torn between silver or black athena given free reign.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

the weight isnt what you get a frame like that for anyway

Exactly! Even if its heavier I don’t care. 15 years ago when I was ‘proper’ fit (no wife/kids etc) I had a steel Graeme Weigh frame with a 42/23 bottom gear and I never worried about the weight or how big hills were as it rode so nicely.

I’m hoping to get that feeling back……….basically its a midlife crisis bike

Shibboleth
    Free Member

That’s gonna be a good solid build… You’ll get years of use out of it! Enjoy 😀

winterfold
    Free Member

more the bike of a man who has arrived and is comfortable with his lot than a midlife crisis bike IMO

this is a midlife crisis bike

boblo
    Free Member

How do you mount your rack and guards? 🙂 Nice frame. May I be a bit crass and ask how may £££’s please?

b45her
    Free Member

i may be missing something here but what exactly makes this frame so special?
    it just looks like a generic steel road frame to me.

ahwiles
    Free Member

that’s sort of the point – i think?

a simple bike can be a beautiful thing, this is a simple bike (frame) made very well, from very good materials, with very good attention to detail.

and it’ll last nearly forever.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

That’s lovely.
    You’d score more points if you had a copy of Singletrack and/or Razzle on the coffee table though.

boblo
    Free Member

@b45her….tut tut, heathen 🙂

It’s steel, nay 853 and it’s a Jackson QED.

That’s all.

b45her
    Free Member

on another note. what makes this handmade in the north of england bike so cool, yet oranges that are handmade in the north of england so uncool?

brakes
    Free Member

I like the black lining of the lugs. what is that? is it just paint or is it some kind of sealing?
    is the paint brighter/ sparklier than the pictures show?

grum
    Free Member

i may be missing something here but what exactly makes this frame so special?
    it just looks like a generic steel road frame to me.

Same here but this is STW – people get upset if you don’t spaff over their unattractive niche bikes. 🙂

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Boblo, it was the bargain price of £660.

Custom geometry would have been £100 more but the stock geometry was within a couple of mm of my bike fit so I went with that.

Choice of tons of colours and lug lining but as ahwiles correctly points out I wanted a simple classic frame that will still look good in 10 years.

On a separate note, did you know Tom Boonen rode a steel Pegoretti sprayed in Specialized colours to his 2007 green jersey

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

b45her nothing makes its cool, reason for getting was I’m from Leeds, my dad rode a Bob Jackson, as did my neighbour as a kid , I wanted a steel bike and in Yorkshireman fashion wasn’t prepared to pay £2000 for a IndyFab/Speedwagen when I can get something local that’s just as good

Edit- what is cool about it is I saw them building it, saw the tube set, saw the paint shop, dropped by after work like kid hoping it would be ready early, if I stood on my chimney I could almost see where it was made. It’s MY bike, not some ‘generic’ frame as has been suggested.

winterfold
    Free Member

hipsters from that London want them because they are considered to be cool but Yorkshiremen love them because they are 1) tight bastards and 2) the bikes are made in Gods Own County 😆

Are Oranges uncool then? I like them in an ‘ugly as **** and dont give a shit’ way – like DMs.

jameso

reason for getting was I’m from Leeds, my dad rode a Bob Jackson, as did my neighbour as a kid , I wanted a steel bike and in Yorkshireman fashion wasn’t prepared to pay £2000 for a IndyFab/Speedwagen when I can get something local that’s just as good

That makes it cool, or something like that. Class if not ‘cool’. Really nice frame – simple, high quality, durable, timeless. All the things a good steel road bike can be.

Matching fork?

winterfold
    Free Member

When I worked in London running a studio half full of fixy bike polo hoxtony yoof a Bob Jackson was definitely the frame they all wanted.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Ain't she pretty! My Bob Jackson has arrived’ is closed to new replies.