Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Aikido
  • Junkyard
    Free Member

I agree entirely however when two folk attack you its not much use trying to grapple one on the floor to submission as the other will beat you senseless.

As i said all have their limits but for sure the Gracies have shown the way fwd.

chewkw
    Free Member

Hora just do it then enjoy.

It does not matter which type of marshal art you learn coz all of them are useful by comparison to someone who never been trained in any form of self defense.

Or simply make it a form of healthy exercise …

If you don’t like it then move on to the next one.

😛

russ295
    Free Member

Best form of self defence. Is not to be there in the first instance. Second is to get the **** away if some thing kicks off.
    Ive also walked out of a bar in defence of a friend, I got glassed, very lucky for me, it hit me in the shoulder and there was no damage, 6″ higher and it would have been my face, ended up scrapping in a pub doorway with 2 blokes whilst the friend I tried to help done runner!
    Do whatever martial art you enjoy, it’s a slim chance your going to get beaten up on the street and it’s better to know something than not, just don’t think your a Bruce lee style super hero just because you’ve got a coloured belt, be it red or black!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    chewkw
    Free Member

russ295 – Member
    Best form of self defence. Is not to be there in the first instance. Second is to get the **** away if some thing kicks off.

^^^ absolutely agree. 😛

Many years ago I got hammered/jumped by four people (gangsters) until I could see stars … nearly got KO by them because of the number of punches raining on me. I only managed to throw two punches coz the entire fight was one sided and was a surprised attack on me. Luckily it was not the machete type of attack or I would end up in pieces … The attackers were known to me but I let the whole matter go otherwise it would never end.

Have you lot been punched, kicked to the extend of nearly getting blackout or light headed? I got that and it was a funny feeling …

Harry_the_Spider

Good point.

The first rule of Karate sparring that we were taught was “Don’t get hit”.

jimjam
    Free Member

Junkyard

however when two folk attack you its not much use trying to grapple one on the floor to submission as the other will beat you senseless.

That’s not true at all actually. Granted, you absolutely don’t want to be in that situation but there’s a myriad of dominant positions you can get one person into leaving you to deal with another, or essentially shield yourself with your assailant.

When I was doing JKD (circa 1999) I had this debate with a friend who was an Olympic alternate in Judo. Myself and another friend “attacked him”. Long story short I ended up in a knee bar and attacker two ended up in a triangle choke.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I get your point but if you want to be able to take out multiple assailants quickly you dont choose a grappling art.

we do practice it [grappling hurts and I dont do that much these days ]but personally I would rather be on my feet using a striking art
    YMMV.

jimjam
    Free Member

Junkyard

I get your point but if you want to be able to take out multiple assailants quickly you dont choose a grappling art.

we do practice it [grappling hurts and I dont do that much these days ]but personally I would rather be on my feet using a striking art
    YMMV.

Meh. Speaking from regrettably horrible personal experience when shit kicks off against multiple attackers (or even just one) there’s absolutely no telling what will happen.

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Aikido’ is closed to new replies.