Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 322 total)
  • AIBU – neighbour issues take 37.
  • Cougar

Gonzy > thank you.

perchypanther
    Free Member

It’s getting to the point where any term to describe a group of non-Caucasian people is verboten without knowing their in-depth geographical life history for the past three generations.

IC4?

also, can’t resist……

Eee – by – gum -bay

Eee-by-Bom-Bay?

theotherjonv

Yes, thankyou Gonzy for being a voice of wisdom and moderation in our community 😉

yunki
    Free Member

I’ve reported Gonzy to the mods for being Asian

mogrim

CBA to head over to Mumsnet to check out if the OP’s STW use of AIBU is correct or not, but I’m guessing it means “Asian Is Being Unreasonable”, right?

clodhopper
    Free Member

I understand the point CharlieMungus is trying to make. What I don’t understand, is why he’d persist in trying to explain it to people who can’t understand why he’s trying to make such a point.

What I also don’t understand is, why Cougar didn’t just go round and have a chat with his neighbours, see what’s going on. It’s what I would do. Talking to actual people in real life, is often far more productive than attempting to discuss things online with ‘virtual’ people.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

If I had Pakistani neighbours I would be more interested in gleaning curry making tips from them than being bothered about some pop up elevated dogging shed they have built.

Curry, curry, curry…………yeah, yeah, yeah 😆

edlong
    Free Member

Last year I overheard someone chastised for using the term “coloured people”; when asked what term she preferred, the offended lady in question offered “people of colour.”

Wasn’t it Benedict Cumberbatch who got himself into that pickle, quite famously?

deepreddave
    Free Member

How would you describe someone from Singapore?

Is the answer Asian or non-caucasian Pigeon Fancier? It’s in Asia and Asia contains pigeon fanciers. Every day’s an STW school day.

DrJ

nterestingly, or not……my parent’s neighbours, we’ll call them the Akhtars because that is their name are Pakistani & have recently also built a good awful lean-to construction outside

Must be an Asian thing. Let me have a quick look on asianshedworld.

Cougar

What I also don’t understand is, why Cougar didn’t just go round and have a chat with his neighbours, see what’s going on. It’s what I would do.

I don’t see them very often, so I’d have to go knocking on the door which makes it a specific enquiry rather than a casual chat in passing. In which case, the response could well be “WTF has it got to do with you?”

MoreCashThanDash

Can I just say, in the interest of balance, that I know a lot of Anglo-Saxon Caucasians who have built a shitty lean to as well.

Cougar

interest of balance

a shitty lean to

Well, it amused me.

doris5000

Last year I overheard someone chastised for using the term “coloured people”; when asked what term she preferred, the offended lady in question offered “people of colour.”

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/jan/27/cumberbatch-coloured-gaffe-white-film-industry-black-actors

MoreCashThanDash

😀

If it makes you smile after all the garbage spouted at you on this thread.

Cougar

Interesting read, that Guardian article. Thanks for that.

At one point the author writes, “My current favoured term…” and I think that’s kind of the problem. Language evolves, previously negative terms are embraced, previously acceptable terms become problematic.

Some people simply don’t care of course, but even if you desperately want to avoid offending someone it can be difficult to keep with terminology du jour unless it’s something you deal with regularly. Someone in a multicultural society is, hopefully, going to have a better idea than someone who only ever interacts with people of a similar demographic.

My attitude is that context and intent is far more important than a jumble of letters that people can creatively infer their own meanings from. But then, as a white heterosexual male, check your privilege and all that.

(I realise this is totally not the point of the article of course.)

gonzy
    Free Member

wait…i’m Asian???

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Question: Why has he got pigeons?
    what would an Asian family want with a pigeon coop?

Reply: Pigeon racing is popular in Pakistan.

Conclusion: It’s likely, though not certain of course, that they’re racing pigeons. They could be for food or ritual slaughter or to wind up the cat or because he’s an eminent ornithologist, but they’re probably racing pigeons. But might not be.

So there you go then. The answer to my (badly worded) original question is “actually, pigeon racing is very popular in Pakistan

[Even though he might not be Pakistani]

I don’t know whether he’s Pakistani or Bangladeshi or any one of a multitude of other possibilities, or British for that matter, all I know is he’s of Asian descent which is why I said Asian in the first place

[but that is why the Asian family has a pigeon coop?]

DrJ

wait…i’m Asian???

I’ve reported Gonzy to the mods for not being Asian.

hooli

Really not sure how people get themselves so wound up.

I have a blue bike, if it was lined up with a load of other bikes and you were trying to identify it, you would call it the blue bike.

If you called it the pig ugly blue thing, I might get offended. I wouldn’t expect anybody else to get offended on my behalf.

As far as I am concerned calling something what it is is absolutely fine as long as you don’t use derogatory names for it.

To answer the question, you are not being unreasonable. That thing is an absolute disgrace.

Cougar

gonzy – Member

it is a very popular past time in pakistan/india/bangladesh…

It would appear that Pakistan does not operate a pigeon-racing monopoly within the Middle Eastern countries.

gonzy
    Free Member

It would appear that Pakistan does not operate a pigeon-racing monopoly within the Middle Eastern countries.

no…but then again pakistan/india/bangladesh aren’t in the middle east either 😉

giantalkali
    Free Member

Interestingly, though not very, cougar used the word ‘verboten’, showing a knowledge of German. However, in Germany, ‘Asian’ means originating from farther east, and ‘Oriental’ (again a word which ought to be used with consideration) means coming from the Middle East and the Indian subcontinent.

orangespyderman

Interestingly, though not very, cougar used the word ‘verboten’, showing a knowledge of German. However, in Germany, ‘Asian’ means originating from farther east, and ‘Oriental’ (again a word which ought to be used with consideration) means coming from the Middle East and the Indian subcontinent.

Conclusion? Cougar’s been kidnapped and replaced by a vilain wearing a mask. Scooby?

onewheelgood

In the UK, Asian tends to mean from India, Pakistan or Bangladesh. But in the USA, Asian usually means from South-East Asia – Vietnam, Cambodia, China. Context is important. However, in the context of a declining cotton town in the North (which, in the South, means anywhere past Birmingham) of England the edifice in question is an eyesore, and probably a danger to society, regardless of the origins or ethnicity of its constructors – who may well have been Polish, from the East.

johnx2
    Free Member

AIBU is correct or not, but I’m guessing it means “Asian Is Being Unreasonable”, right?

wrong. It’s the Urdu* word for bodger.

*Official language of Liverpool hair salons. This is neither racist nor scousist, I’ve checked.

Cougar

no…but then again pakistan/india/bangladesh aren’t in the middle east either

Curses. Outed. I’m embarrassingly bad at Geography.

Solo
    Free Member

Oh dear. STW SJWs (STJWs ?) have mauled this.

Cougar isn’t racist, we all know this, so stop your stirring!

It can be difficult to find words to accurately convey our thoughts. We’ve all got it a little wrong at sometime or another.
    Just leave it.

As for the sky shack. It appears to be a poorly constructed structure. Doesn’t look to be capable of withstanding the winter weather we have in the UK.
    Were it a ground based structure then not so much of an issue. But an elevated construction needs to be reasonably capable of not collapsing on a passer by.

I’d wonder if the roof of the garage has been sufficiently modified to support a number of people or whatever, being up there.

Nope. Dangerous to those who built it and anyone nearby.
    The Architect needs saving from themselves.

However, be careful how you go about complaining.
    The builder may decide to look into regs and planning and might construct, sky shack II ?

Finally, it never ceases to amaze me how selfish neighbours can be. Those who built sky shack may be happy to make the place look worse. But it also shows a huge lack of regard for the people they live along side.

Ferris-Beuller
    Free Member

Effin hell this forum just gets worse. I had no idea there were this many fannys into mountain biking!

Cougar, you’re absolutely right in complaining about that. It’s an eye sore and needs to come down. With a bit of luck you’ll have some high winds this weekend and that will be the end of it!!

You darent be descriptive anymore by the sound of it lad.

Cougar

Those who built sky shack may be happy to make the place look worse.

To be fair, that would be tricky. (-:

jbproductions
    Free Member

Is it a pigeon coop though? It seems to be lacking a roof.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Cougar isn’t racist, we all know this, so stop your stirring!

It can be difficult to find words to accurately convey our thoughts. We’ve all got it a little wrong at sometime or another.
    Just leave it.

erm… that’s all pretty much what i said. I didn’t think he was racist and on this occasion he got it wrong.

So far only theocb and you seem to have recognised that

Junkyard
    Free Member

this occasion he got it wrong.

he never said he got it wrong he said people can get it wrong and he seems to be speaking in general terms rather than the specifics of this case.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

It really would be a strange thing to say in any other context

Junkyard
    Free Member

???

Cougar

Is it a pigeon coop though? It seems to be lacking a roof.

It’s covered with chicken wire.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I have a blue bike, if it was lined up with a load of other bikes and you were trying to identify it, you would call it the blue bike.

If you called it the pig ugly blue thing, I might get offended. I wouldn’t expect anybody else to get offended on my behalf.

Yup, can see how that would work if you were trying to differentiate it from other bikes. Again, I am not offended, it seems the only people taking offence are those who object to the discussion.

Perhaps more people than i imagined are wondering what an Asian family would want wih a pigeon coop

jbproductions
    Free Member

Pigeons like roofs though don’t they? You’d make sure your prize racing pigeons had a roof wouldn’t you? I suppose it could be a traditional “Asian” design though as it doesn’t get as nippy at nights there*.

Solo
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator
    To be fair, that would be tricky. (-:

Well, that’s still no excuse to erect such a monstrosity.
    And while “they” say when you’ve reached the bottom, the only way is up. I’d suggest sky shack isn’t what “they” meant 😉

aracer
    Free Member

Can I just check; when you say “he got it wrong” are you criticising him?

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 322 total)

The topic ‘AIBU – neighbour issues take 37.’ is closed to new replies.