Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • AI is getting seriously good
  • brooess
    Free Member
    Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Don’t want to be a downer but really….it’s just voice recognition meets google translate. Surprised no ones done it before really.

Torminalis
    Free Member

just voice recognition

🙄

GrahamS

As translation goes I’m more impressed with “Word Lens” (which was recently assimilated by Google).

You point it at, for example, a sign with foreign text on it and on screen you see the same sign with English text (in the same position, font and colours):

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2OfQdYrHRs[/video]

slowoldman

I hope it’s better than the voice recognition used on BBC News to put up subtitles.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Torminalis

Don’t get me wrong, voice recognition is amazing technology but isn’t this just an evolutionary combination of current technologies as opposed to something ground breaking?

brooess
    Free Member

It may be an evolutionary combination of current tech but I’m impressed that one of the biggest barriers to human beings functioning well together – the language barrier, has been overcome by AI.
    A lot goes wrong when two people misunderstand each other from poor use of language, as anyone spending time on STW will know! More than a few conflicts have arisen over the centuries because of poor communications…

Renders obsolete a role you’d have thought only a human can do – face to face translation…

maccruiskeen

I hope it’s better than the voice recognition used on BBC News to put up subtitles.

I hope its better than the voice recognition used by Youtube on any video featuring Guy Martin (click the subtitles button to the left of the little cog)

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpW77reDX7c[/video]

“along great all on it then go out on a vertical arresting by alcoholiday”

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

It may be an evolutionary combination of current tech but I’m impressed that one of the biggest barriers to human beings functioning well together – the language barrier, has been overcome by AI.
    A lot goes wrong when two people misunderstand each other from poor use of language, as anyone spending time on STW will know! More than a few conflicts have arisen over the centuries because of poor communications…

Next up, wars started because of flaw in translation device!

I don’t think it’s great, people should be encouraged to learn other languages as it makes you engage with their culture. This will become the communication equivalent to derealization disorder, you will feel as though you are interacting with people through a glass window and attitudes towards those people will follow suit.

Humanity is well and truly ****.

scotroutes

I thought this was about cynic-al

* is disappoint *

leffeboy

Me too. Was expecting something frankentastic. I though google had already been doing this is the us for a while

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘AI is getting seriously good’ is closed to new replies.