Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Ahmed Glaucoma Valve surgery – has anyone had it?
  • glasgowdan
    Free Member

I have just been told I need agv surgery in both eyes and wonder if anyone has had this before and if there are any comments that might settle my nerves? I’m 32 so it’s primary congenital glaucoma I have and for the past 12 years been on drops after 3x trabs, but the pressure is still high and this seems the only solution.

The only saving grace is that it’s under GA; those LA trabs were the stuff of nightmares 🙁

iainc

Dan – which surgeon you got ? Wife works in admin for eye dept at Victoria

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Rotchford. He seems a top guy and I’ve been getting checkups with him for a few years over at Gartnavel. He thinks Vicky is better as his regular anaethetic team is based there.

iainc

Wife says he is very good !

glasgowdan
    Free Member

🙂 I’m shitting it dreaded ever needing eye ops again after the 3 I had back in 01/02. The long term is what I’m worried about, maybe in 5 years there will be a cure for it all

Harry_the_Spider

Mother in law had it done in one eye earlier this year. It worked.

Other eye is now being done.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Thanks Harry, how long afterwards could she take the patch off and use the eye normally? Was it uncomfy/itchy/could she feel it or did she get used to it right away?

Harry_the_Spider

IIRC the patch wasn’t on for too long. The eye looked a bit bloodshot and was a bit irritating for a while.

She was on lots of drops until the tube opened and that took a couple of months.

All is fine now and the frequency of drops has reduced.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Ahmed Glaucoma Valve surgery – has anyone had it?’ is closed to new replies.