Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Ahhhh paint help please
  • stoddys
    Free Member

Ok so I stripped down my full suspension frame for a re spray.
    I did the rear triangle 400 wet and dry paper 3 coats of rattle can later I was well pleased, so pleased the next day I did the same for the main frame.
    I’ve ordered the decals and thought it would be good to put one coat of clear lacquer before I put them on then several coats after.

So I started in the main frame and then one part of the triangle. Ahhhh crackling!!! ( not the nice crispy eatable kind)
    Not everywhere but enough.
    What did I do wrong. It was all via rattle cans.

I’ve started to rub back the triangle and all the coloured paint was soft also so I’m going to leave it a few days to just flat back the crackling.

What should I have done different? Other than a professional re spray.

thomthumb
    Free Member

too thick on laquer? it needs to be a much thinner coat than the paint.

Other than a professional re spray.

I’ve done it in the past but to be honest professional seems cheaper given cans of paint are £6 each.

stoddys
    Free Member

Thanks
    So do I just rub down the crackle area re spray the colour and then clear lacquer the whole thing again.

12fifty
    Free Member

I think it’s the top coat drying quicker than the bottom coat or the other way around, one or the other!

unovolo
    Free Member

Or could be paint contamination as well.

pimpingimp
    Free Member

Weather won’t be helping, much too cold to paint at the moment.
    Hopefully it’s just the clear that’s crazed, rub it back and do it again. Very light layers, rattle can clear is piss thin and it’ll take time for the solvents to disappear in this weather.

Even when I paint with rattle cans now I use my spray gun and 2k clear for the lacquer, it’s nice to be able to lay a light coat down, put 2 more on in about 20 mins and be done. [smug face 🙂 ]

pimpingimp
    Free Member

Just reread and saw that the paint was also soft, almost certainly down to temperature.

andyl
    Free Member

aluminium frame? I’d use an etch primer first on the bare metal. Then build up gradually with thin coats allowing the solvent to flash off. Make sure where you do it is warm as condensation in a cold room (aerosol cools the air causing moisture to drop out) will mean you get water in the drying paint which is not good.

stoddys
    Free Member

Thanks folks.
    16 degrees in cyprus so temperature was ok.
    The only bare metal was on the chain stay, I’m going to flat back the affected area and locally re spray then give it al a coat to tie it all in.

Thanks for the advice.

kayak23

I’ve painted a few frames, motorcycles too.
    Lots of labour, expensive rattle cans, less than ideal home spraying conditions, fragile finish..
    All these things mean I’ll get anything done professionally from now on.
    A powder coater wanted just 45 quid to do a frame any colour recently when I asked.
    For that, I’m willing to forego the satisfaction of doing it myself. 🙂

Are you totally sure your two layers are chemically compatible? That was my first thought when you mentioned crazing. I guess if they’re from the same rattle can family….
    Drying and hardening hadn’t happened then most probably.

stoddys
    Free Member

Not the same family of rattle cans.
    I think you might be on the right track there.
    Time to do some test pieces first.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Ahhhh paint help please’ is closed to new replies.