Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Ahhhh I can’t decide, whats ISIS BB
  • Telemaster18
    Free Member

I don’t what to do. Had a mega exo Isis one with external bearings and gone after about 4 months. Sealing was awful. Don’t wanna spend over £50. FSA Platinum Pro was what I was looking at £36. The crank brothers cobalt one had awful reviews on chain reaction.

nukeproof
    Free Member

The crank brothers cobalt one had awful reviews on chain reaction.

Yes but it is guaranteed for 5 years and 2Pure are a top firm to deal with when it comes to replacements as many will testify, me included

Telemaster18
    Free Member

The chromoly one ok?

CountZero

I believe the cheapest SKF one is £35ish? I could be wrong, but going cheap is often a false economy, as you’ve found, especially with ISIS. My RaceFace Signature ISIS BB’s bearings went after eighteen months, it was swapped to a different frame where it’s still going strong. It cost me £65 – six years ago. I really thing I’m getting value for money, and when these bearings peg out I’ll just get new ones put in. The last ones cost eight quid, IIRC.
    Get a stainless SKF one, the extra spent now will repay you in longevity.

Telemaster18
    Free Member

It wasnt cheap the bottom bracket I bought, £45! Just ordered the cobalt BB £51 So lets hope for the best. If this fails I’m gonna cry

CountZero

LOL! The Cobalts got good write-ups, but I haven’t heard any long-term news on them, but a lot of people have used the SKF ones and rate them. A five year guarantee is confidence boosting, at least, in the event of it packing up. Fingers crossed. Loving the fit-and-forget nature of my RF one – hope it’ll get to a decade!

Rickos
    Free Member

I have a Cobalt and have used it for about 18 months without any problems. And anyway, as someone above says – 5 year gurantee and 2Pure are good with warranty stuff.

Telemaster18
    Free Member

Good, usually when I just buy something, the next 10 posts are about how the product I just bought went wrong.

andywhit
    Free Member

FSA Platinum Pro – lasted about 100 miles tops.

Telemaster18
    Free Member

Glad I didn’t buy that then!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Superstar. Cheap, big balls and mine has lasted better than some twice the price (FSA). But you wont cry when it finally packs up BECAUSE IT WAS CHEAP.

Telemaster18
    Free Member

£30 for the ISIS BB now! They were £20 at one point which is peanuts. If they’re decent £30 is a bargain but I’m just not sure. I have no problem with their brake pads.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Yeah but then everything else has gone up too so it’s relative. I fitted mine June 2008. I’ve been riding that bike about 1/3 of the time since then and it’s still fine. The FSA one I fitted before lasted 9×2 hour rides. I basically splashed thru a biggish puddle in early June 2008 and that pretty much finished it off. I was on the verge of changing crankset when I spotted the Superstar one with it’s big balls and thought I’d give it shot.

I don’t expect miracles from it, but it’s doing OK.

Telemaster18
    Free Member

Does anybody know if the cobalt BB comes with crank bolts?

turnip
    Free Member

The superstar one is the same (but with a lighter axle) as the trials ones echo sells. They are apparantly bomb proof for trails, and mine is 20 months old and still spinning.

Its because they use that integrated bearing thing rather than tiny cartrige bearing balls, which seize in 3 weeks like my raceface

Telemaster18
    Free Member

Well if my crank bros brakes down, after I’ve stopped crying I’ll give the superstar one a go.

TinMan
    Free Member

Cobalt here has outlasted multiple RF’s & FSA’s, and still going strong.

Telemaster18
    Free Member

great, no one wants to see a grown man cry haha

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Ahhhh I can’t decide, whats ISIS BB’ is closed to new replies.