Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Ahem – What 29er tyres for Bike Park Wales in the mud?
  • davosaurusrex

Specific enough for you? I’ll probably ignore everyone and run Hans Dampfs front and rear but have also got a Geax Kato on the front and a Storm Control on the back at the moment. I assume the blues and reds are fairly all weather and the HDs will be fine, not even sure I’ll attempt any blacks, depends how I’m feeling and riding. Are the blacks pretty muddy at the moment? Going on Saturday, ‘citing!

mulv1976
    Free Member

Yes the blacks are muddy as hell. It was my first time yesterday and they were the muddiest trails I’ve ever ridden. Good fun though. My mate ran Hans dampfs on his stumpy 29er with no issues

chris36860
    Free Member

Going Sat and Sun and hoping the trails dry out a bit as no rain forecast between now and then. Never been before so taking all the tyres I have!!!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    singlespeedstu

Minion 2.5’s
    Tripple compound front dual compound rear.
    Piss all over HD’s.

chris36860
    Free Member

Singlespeedstu – exactly what I’m running at the moment and will keep then on now you’ve said that!! Thanks

davosaurusrex

Do they do those in 29″ now? Thought it was just the High roller 2? Not wanting to spend £100 on tyres this close to Christmas (especially as BPW will be first outing for my new Pikes….) but will have a look anyway.

You on the uplift Saturday chris36860?

mulv1976
    Free Member

I used tubeless hr supertacky 2.5 front and 2.35 rear. Had no issues really (even on a redundant 26er 😉 )

The mud was like slurry in places and the climb was tough four times but good fun on the dh. Any tires would have struggled except perhaps trail rakers in places

scaredypants

BPW is now closed to all 29er and 26er riders
    Having been designed around the new 650b format paradigm leap, the trails are too lively for either of the now discredited old sizes
    For your own good, bring a proper bike

chris36860
    Free Member

Yeap, booked on for both days. I’ll be on my shiny new black SC Nomad and riding like a woosie as I don’t want to scratch it!! Say hi !

davosaurusrex

Awwwwww, shucks!

mulv1976 – was the slurry mainly on the blacks or other trails too? Starting to think about leaving the Gato and the Storm on

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Do they do those in 29″ now? Thought it was just the High roller 2?

Yes, you can get a 2.5 Minion DHF in the various different compounds (Max Terra, Max Grip etc) most tubeless ready & EXO now.They are a little hard to get hold of. The 2.5″ is also masive compared to the 26″ 2.5″ – it’s more like the old 2.7″.

They are about to release a 2.3″ version of the same. I’m running a Minion DHR2 2.3 on the back & it;s a good size.

Decent dual ply options also now 🙂

davosaurusrex

Will do. There’s about 10 of us going, I’ll be the lanky streak of piss on the now sadly redundant Turner Sultan. My mate will be on his Nomad riding like a wuss too so you’ll be in good company!

chris36860
    Free Member

See you there!!

greeble
    Free Member

Funny the minion is a dry weather tyre

mulv1976
    Free Member

The slurry was mainly on the blacks. Deep puddles too. The blues seemed loads better and rode well, reds were a little muddy but nothing like the blacks. Sliding around all over the shop – but good fun. It might have dried out a bit by the weekend

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

gato

davosaurusrex

Right, Hans Dampfs for reds and blues in the morning, can sling the others on at lunchtime if the blacks are still filthy. Cheers all, good here innit!

davosaurusrex

Corrected that in a later post WHISN, thanks for the contribution though, always important to get these things right.

chris36860
    Free Member

Just seen you’re from Worthing! I’m in Chichester and the guys I’m going with are from Worthing too! Very small world!!

davosaurusrex

Isn’t it though. When I was at Nant Yr Arian last year we met some guys from Storrington in the car park. Wales is bleedin’ polluted with us middle class Southerners!
    Who are you going with, possibility I might know them? You going up Saturday morning?

chris36860
    Free Member

Going up with a guy called Kev Harris and his brother Roger. He rides a NS Soda and has just recovered from breaking his collar bone at Steyning. We’re leaving bright and early sat AM and staying near the park ready for Sunday. We met some local guys in Sameon France back in June! We’re taking over the world!!

therag
    Free Member

I ride there most weeks, blacks muddy slidey fun, just parts of the reds muddy, blues are real grippy.
    I usually got a hr front, crossmark rear, just fitted a minion after ripping the rear.
    Don’t worry about what tread, just spare tubes.

Candodavid
    Free Member
    davosaurusrex

Linky no worky

Candodavid
    Free Member
    davosaurusrex

Had a feeling it would be that. I’m waiting for him to release the “I mostly ride around the South Downs” edit, should be mint.

wookie
    Free Member

Blues are 90% hard pack with a few areas of mud where the trail has degraded with the weather. Any tyres are fine for these imho.

Reds are 20% hard pack, 50% rock, 30% mud. (Bonneyville is pure steep sloppy mess, great fun but really needs mud tyres).

Blacks are all natural and hence a lot more mud but still rideable with good mud tyres.

Obviously these are rough figures but gives you some idea of what to expect.

Ive been running Baron/Rubber Queen 26 and RQ/RQ on the 29er and find these work really well for BPW.

Hope this helps and have a good weekend. May well head up Saturday afternoon for a few laps myself.

davosaurusrex

You’ll no doubt be thrilled I went with the Hans Dampfs and they were fine.

Chris – looked out for your bike a few times but didn’t see you. Couldn’t believe how busy it was !

I know it’s been said before but HOW MUCH FUN is Willy Waver? Felt like you were floating down it. Another favourite was Enter The Dragon although my mate ate it pretty hard over the wall drop towards the end of the day.

In summary trails great (although room for a few more in time), cafe great, uplift great, congrats to Rowan and the team, be back in the spring!

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Ahem – What 29er tyres for Bike Park Wales in the mud?’ is closed to new replies.