Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)
  • Ah, truckers, you galant knights of the road!
  • nickclift
    Free Member

Yes, I know you truckers are always in a rush to deliver that valuable load of bog roll or to get prime spot at your favourite overnight truck stop to top up on double full English, or to avoid sloppy seconds engaging in some cheeky in cab action with an Eastern European prostitute. I know the overhead gantry “Incident ahead – 50mph” limits don’t really apply to you, I also understand tailgating me to within 2 feet isn’t really dangerous. And of course that inconsiderate swine you are tailgating, slowing down to allow traffic filter in from the slip road and leaving enough space for a potential emergency stop, really does justify you flashing your lights and blasting your horn. So, if that was you today on the M1 South this afternoon, somewhere between Chesterfield and the Worksop junction around 4.30, really sorry about my diabolical driving…….just remember next time, I have a family to get home to too.

Cougar

Tailgating trucks are ace. Take your foot off the gas, scrub 10mph or so, then accelerate back up to speed. Rinse and repeat, happy in the knowledge that they might as well be throwing five pound notes out of the window. They soon get the message.

TheDTs
    Free Member

Report to the operator.
    If it is a larger operator they will be quite happy to know.
    Issue is, they are in short demand, they rarely get sacked as most fleet operators can’t get enough drivers.
    They do get bonuses for driving efficiently and safely, and with most having in cab cameras these days they should pull the driver up if driving badly.

I had a similar issue with a very bad driver on the M6, Buffaload central office were pleased to hear from me and did call back to follow up.

kayak23

3-10
    Liked the way you belittle their lifestyle with suggestions of stereotypical trucker behaviour and insinuate their bad driving by suggesting that you were driving badly when actually driving how you deemed to be safe, but you could have used extensive capitals and sections of bold type, not to mention expletives.

cranberry
    Free Member

If I were doing a lot of miles on the motorway I’d be getting a rear-facing dashcam exactly for cases like this – it is easy to forward the film to the company involved, or if he really was that close, plod.

nickclift
    Free Member

Report it to the operator you say? He was that close I could smell the Yorkies and fags on his breath, unless of course the operator was OV_lOV, AS THATS ALL I COULD F*****G SEE IN MY REAR VIEW MIRROR.

(That score any better Kayak?)

bearnecessities

I have to disagree with Kayak; it’s a strong 7/10 from me.

onlysteel
    Free Member

I’m with bear, I rate it. Maybe even an 8.

pondo

8?!? There’s not even any swearing! IWTSDHATD* I thought traffic joining a carriage had to filter in, not t’other way round.

*I Wasn’t There So Don’t Have All The Details – just made that up, I think it’ll catch on! 🙂

bails

That score any better Kayak?)

That’s a negatory good buddy.

zanelad
    Free Member

You think that the truck driver’s on STW…….. 🙄

teasel
    Free Member

…or rides a bicycle.

teasel
    Free Member

Clearly not driving like that as the STW Roadcraftsmen drive impecably, right.

Unless it was Stevextc closing the gap in case someone was thinking of pulling out of the slip and nicking his braking space.

CountZero

It’s the ones who set up a rolling roadblock on dual carriageways, where one truck gets a tow from a bigger one, thinks he’s got enough to overtake, pulls out and goes to overtake, then sits side-by-side, with the bigger truck, totally unable to make any more headway due to the limiter, for three or four miles.
    Smooth move, Ex-Lax, the line of vehicles behind you applaud your advanced driving skills. 👿

pondo

If you sat behind them for five miles you *might* be a minute behind schedule.

onlysteel
    Free Member

Sorry Pondo. I liked the sense of control conveyed by the op, underpinned by the threat of extreme violence beneath an apparently calm surface. Or is that just me?

sirromj

*I Wasn’t There So Don’t Have All The Details – just made that up, I think it’ll catch on!

So not “I want to shit down his ass-tasting dentures” then.

garage-dweller

I liked the sense of control conveyed by the op, underpinned by the threat of extreme violence beneath an apparently calm surface. Or is that just me?

Me too.

Besides the swear filter gets all the the good words so unless you go all Mr Mackey about it and just use the word “Mmm’kay” a really sweary rant doesn’t work.

pondo

I liked the sense of control portrayed by the op, underpinned by the threat of extreme violence beneath an apparantly calm surface.

Like this dude? 🙂

So not “I want to shit down his ass-tasting dentures” then

I hadn’t considered the potential for ambiguity. 🙁

funkmasterp

Did the truck look like the one below and is your real name Dennis Weaver? If you can answer yes to both I think I may know what happened.

bails

It’s the ones who set up a rolling roadblock on dual carriageways,

Lorry Driver Celebrates First Anniversary Of Overtaking Manoeuvre

LORRY driver Dennis Jackers was last night celebrating the first anniversary of starting to overtake fellow trucker Bob Mellows and the creation of a tailback described by the UN as a “crime against humanity”.

Lorry Driver Celebrates First Anniversary Of Overtaking Manoeuvre

alexpalacefan

People are selfish ****.
    Some of them drive trucks.
    APF

pondo

On the other hand, I do a few miles on the M5 every day, and by far the majority of shit lane choices are made by car drivers. By far.

garage-dweller

by far the majority of shit lane choices are made by car drivers. By far.

Would agree with that (M3 and M27) but crap lane choice is ultimately an inconvenience.

Driving 40tonnes of metal 2 feet from someone’s bumper at 50mph is dangerous, **** idiotic, deliberately aggressive and likely to put someone in the morgue the second anything goes wrong.

pondo

Again, on the other hand (in a dissenting mood, must be the shit result from the local elections 🙂 ), I’ve had similar from plenty of car drivers, in mitigation lorry drivers can see miles ahead so will know if they need yo brake long before you, and if you’re slowing down to let someone on to the motorway, the highway code says you is wrong to do so (I think).

frankconway

Newark to Grantham on A1; tailgated by DPD night trucker.

Used the tried and tested method espoused by Cougar – slow down, brake, speed up, slow down and repeat ad nauseam; Mr DPD got a little annoyed – repeated use of horn, flashing lights and generally threatening behaviour.

Window down to give him two fingers followed by speeding up and slowing down; pulled into layby and he followed, naturally, but I didn’t stop; drove slowly and then accelerated back onto the main road.

Made sure he could see me by driving relatively slowly and then…..repeating.

That was fun – always have 4 cell maglite to hand.

Some lorry/truck drivers are considerate and drive appropriately but many are nothing more than f***ing halfwits in a hurry.

RobHilton
    Free Member

slowing down to allow traffic filter in from the slip road

Worng. They’re supposed to fit in with you, not you fit in with them.

-3 points for dangerous driving +2 for hooker joke

muckytee
    Free Member

Ah truck drivers a fair few are dickheads, slowing down to 30 through a village causes them much vexation it seems, I like cougars idea.

I over took a tipper truck on the A59 that was doing well above 56mph, are all trucks legally obliged to be limited to that speed?

It’s great when they start playing wacky races on the A1 trying to overtake each other

pondo

Are we actually close to espousing a policy of aggravation towards the vexed? Because I’m not sure if that will lead to many positive outcomes.

maccruiskeen

“I want to shit down his ass-tasting dentures”

Wrong forum for that acronym- surprised you use the same login for both though.

RustySpanner

frankconway – Member

Sit behind him and save a few quid on fuel?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Any of you ever drive truck?
    Changing speed is a real pain. You have about 14 gears and every time you drop a few mph, you need to clump through the gears,down then back up again. Life is just much easier if you can pick a speed and hold it. Folks playing games in front of you? Probably just as funny as someone turning up at you work and standing in the way of your chair as you try to wheel across the office or adjust the height. But I guess you are all doing much more important things

slowoldman

I’m not keen on the idea of slowing down to allow drivers in off the slip road (or changing lanes for the same reason). It’s quite clear in the Highway Code that those joining should adjust their speed appropriately to merge in.

bearnecessities

Well I wasn’t aware of that.

However if people didn’t adjust their speed on the inside lane, nobody would ever be able to join the M62 until about 9:30am.

bamboo
    Free Member

Charlie – 14 gears or not, truck drivers have to adhere to the rules of the road, just as everybody else should. And tailgating somebody at a distance of 2m in a 44t vehicle is incredibly dangerous. In an ideal world, all car drivers would all be able to drive at 70mph on the motorway all of the time, and all truck drivers could do 56mph. Unfortunately traffic is a very real thing, so everybody has to adjust their speed accordingly and maintain a safe braking distance

nickclift
    Free Member

Allowing the traffic to filter in from the left, wether right or wrong, isn’t the point of my original post, tailgating truckers is the point. However, as a 60k pa driver, allowing cars to filter in is both courteous and avoids side swipes. As you approach in lane 1 and the traffic filtering in approaches lane 1, you end up in their blind spot, it totally avoids being side swiped…..I’ve seen it happen on more than one occasion.

Lifer
    Free Member

I love the dash cam vids where idiots brake test HGVs

CountZero

I’m not keen on the idea of slowing down to allow drivers in off the slip road (or changing lanes for the same reason). It’s quite clear in the Highway Code that those joining should adjust their speed appropriately to merge in.

Allowing the traffic to filter in from the left, wether right or wrong, isn’t the point of my original post, tailgating truckers is the point. However, as a 60k pa driver, allowing cars to filter in is both courteous and avoids side swipes. As you approach in lane 1 and the traffic filtering in approaches lane 1, you end up in their blind spot, it totally avoids being side swiped…..I’ve seen it happen on more than one occasion.

This…
    And then you’d have vehicles getting to the bottom of the on-ramp and stopping, because there are no gaps, and because they can’t see on-coming traffic clearly. All anyone approaching an on-ramp has to do is indicate right and move over a lane to allow joining traffic the space to merge with other traffic; this is both courteous and common sense, although I do allow that common-sense is being legislated against, and is frequently in short supply among shaved apes anyway.
    I’m doing enough motorway/dual-carriageway miles to see that this works, I do it automatically because it makes life easier for everyone.
    As for being tailgated by a truck, it’s not something I’ve really had an issue with, because I’m always going faster* than the maximum speed of large trucks, except for the rare occasion I get a limited LCV to drive, because I’m forced to stick to 68mph I drive accordingly.
    *Except for long stretches of 40-50mph roadworks, or ‘smart motorways’, like the M5 around Brum and Bristol.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Allowing the traffic to filter in from the left, wether right or wrong, isn’t the point of my original post, tailgating truckers is the point.

Exactly, it’s not about what you are doing wrong, it’s everyone else!

teasel
    Free Member

Used the tried and tested method espoused by Cougar – slow down, brake, speed up, slow down and repeat ad nauseam; Mr DPD got a little annoyed – repeated use of horn, flashing lights and generally threatening behaviour.

Window down to give him two fingers followed by speeding up and slowing down; pulled into layby and he followed, naturally, but I didn’t stop; drove slowly and then accelerated back onto the main road.

Made sure he could see me by driving relatively slowly and then…..repeating.

That was fun – always have 4 cell maglite to hand.

Some lorry/truck drivers are considerate and drive appropriately but many are nothing more than f***ing halfwits in a hurry.

The road isn’t the place for that kind of childish shit TBH. Behaving like that makes you no better than the driver you’re attempting to punish for bad driving. If a copper saw you doing it they’d probably do both of you and rightly so.

Some of you folk need to get a grip…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘Ah, truckers, you galant knights of the road!’ is closed to new replies.