Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Aghh! brakes, help me decide
  • Lakes_Puma

I'm building a cove G-Spot for all mountain duties and buying all new components as budget allows, so far I've a mix of SRAM X9 and Shimano XT/SLX components but I'm stuck on brakes

The heart wants to get Saint M810 (around £310 with rotors) all round for bling factor but my head is saying get XT (could be got for around £180 with rotors).

I will be running big (203mm or 203mm/180mm) rotors.

what should I get?

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

slx brakes. mine have 100% sound in the year ive had them

coogan
    Free Member

SLX. Bosh.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

SLX were £100 for front and back (without rotors) at ribble.

Get those.

z1ppy

SLX if they need to be shimano, Hope otherwise..

br
    Free Member

If you are prepared to pay over £300, then I'd save a bit more and get Formula R1's. Far lighter and probably as powerful, especially with 203's.

Jamie
    Free Member

SLXs from Ribble for £94.

Adapters/Rotors for another £40-50. Bosh.

Lakes_Puma

thanks for responses so far, it was ribble I was looking at for the XT, is it not worth going for XT over SLX for an extra £20ish?

XT levers have free stroke adjustment?

Jamie
    Free Member

XT levers have free stroke adjustment?

Indeed they do, and in the 18 months I have had my XT brakes I have never used it 😉

…but for an extra £20 you might as well.

richmtb

SLX are great no doubt but Saints are the best brakes I've ever used, and not that much heavier either, are merlin not still doing them cheap I got mine for £250 including (180mm) rotors

Lakes_Puma

it was merlin I was quoting, £311.95 with 203mm rotors, if they were at £250 I wouldn't have even asked the question 😀

richmtb

Oh well looks like I got a bargain!

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Sorry for the blatent advert but If you mail me I have a set of 3 ride old M810 calipers with XT levers and XT floating rotors I am selling for £180 posted.

chakaping
    Free Member

SLX brakes are really powerful and well controlled with 203mm rotors.

I had them on a very heavy Big Hit (probably 45lbs) in the Alps last year and was amazed at how good they were – even with me dragging them all the time.

Not tried Saint, but can't imagine needing any more power or modulation.

nickc

New saints are retina detachtingly powerful brakes, I'm not ceratin there anywhere in the UK that actually needs them though*

I've personally never been that impressed with XT, and I'm an Shimano brake fan, every set I've tried seem squishy.

*unless of course you're a 'larger gent' and you like to go very 'effing fast, and then stop suddenly,

Country_Gent
    Free Member

I've got XTs on my all-mountain bike. Can't praise them highly enough!

MRanger156
    Free Member

I have the new saints and they are amazing, slightly heavy but I think most of the weight is in the 200mm rotors.

They have quite a long lever pull but once your used to that the power is insane but also controllable.

Can't comment on XT or SLX although if you dont want/need mega power I'd consider the SLX.

Lakes_Puma

I ended up going for the set that bigdugsbaws was selling, they arrived today and are exactly as described.

Don't know if you can provide feedback on here somehow but bigdugsbaws (Dougie)was great, fantastic communications, items sent recorded B4 1pm and a pleasure to deal with.

Thanks Dougie.

neil853
    Free Member

enjoy, because the new saints are amazing, serious power on tap and i don't believe you can ever be 'over braked'. its always nice to have that in reserve.

On the flip side though a few friends have the new XT's and they seem very good too. Have to say Shimano seem to be leading the way for me at the minute.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Aghh! brakes, help me decide’ is closed to new replies.