Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Ageism – When Does it Start?
  • shooterman

I have been trying to get myself into a government or quango type job for over a year. I have 13 years experience in my field. I'm about to turn 39.

Speaking to colleagues of similar age who have been job hunting, we find that any jobs that come up have very newly qualified people appointed to them – often only saving the employer a couple of thousand pounds a year.

I have to say I'm beginning to get a bit worried that, at 39, my age is already a barrier. When do you think your age becomes an issue in employment?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Dunno – but it seems a lot more prevalent now than when I was younger

druidh
    Free Member

TJ made a LOL!!!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    deadlydarcy
    Free Member

😆 @ TJ

It nearly got me till I read druidh's post 🙂

nickc

often only saving the employer a couple of thousand pounds a year.

Often makes all the difference bewteen being over budget and within the budget..

zaskar
    Free Member

Depends on the field too.

tron
    Free Member

I think the Public sector can be something of a closed shop – they're usually required to advertise everything, when they often have someone they know they want to give to the job to.

emma82
    Free Member

Agree with tron , I was in local gov for 6 years deffo wudnt go back but they very rarely appoint out of house if they can help it, they tend to groom. U have to get in on the shittiest jobs and work your way up. Tbf, 6 yrs was enough for me. Wudnt recommend it to anyone. Although on the ageist thing I wud say not, gov jobs are very careful to include everyone. As long as you alreDy work there.

I think expecting better standards of spelling and grammar from a local government employee is a sign of my age.

shooterman, be a lorry driver. The age bias goes the other way.

gravitysucks
    Free Member

Ageism – When Does it Start?

Right now ya ol bar steward!!

FoxyChick
    Free Member

This has happened in my workplace.
    Four experienced staff(out of eight) moved on and they were replaced by 4 newly qualifieds, over a two year period.
    Mind you…I reckon our boss is regretting it, as they are as thick as pig shit and have absolutely no idea!
    And guess who has to try to make up for their lack of experience and brains??

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Ageism – When Does it Start?’ is closed to new replies.