Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Age / Speed. At what age do you generally peak and start going slower?
  • alibongo001

Reading the strava stories got me thinking about age and speed.

I’ve been riding since my 20’s and now 47. I use strava and like to see how fast I am compared to others.

Now I am a biggish chap and would like to drop some weight – clearly weight and speed are closely linked – especially up!

But should I expect to get slower from now / 50 / 60 from an age perspective or is weight the biggest predictor?

thoughts?

Yak

My speed is affected by many things – health, available riding time, training (occasionally!) and injuries. Probably last on the list is age and I am in my 40s too.

Yes, weight is part of that too, but that goes down a little bit with lots of riding, so it’s only a factor of point 2 for me I reckon. I also wasn’t cycling much in my 20s. Just commuting as I was climbing all the time back then. So I guess my speed comparison only goes back to my 30’s.

whitestone
    Free Member

Weight is definitely a factor on hills, four years ago I lost 20Kg and hills became a lot easier.

Somewhere around the mid to late 20’s is maximum strength/speed, after that you are on the downward slope but for a good few years experience will help you mask it – look at the ages of recent TdF winners for example. I’m nowhere near as fast as I was in my 20’s (I’m 58 in a couple of weeks) but I wouldn’t expect to be. I am noticing a slight slow down over the last couple of years as well.

Have a look at Joe Friel’s blog and books about training/performance for the older cyclist.

alibongo001

Thanks for the tip about Joe Friel – will check it out later!

epicsteve
    Free Member

At 49 I’m at my fastest so far, although in my case that’s because I was horribly overweight and unfit for the previous 25 years.

I suspect I’d have been a lot faster than I am now when I was in my late teams and early 20’s but I wasn’t cycling then so have nothing to compare my current performance with.

deadkenny
    Free Member

If you’re comparing to others, peak is irrelevant, it’s just fitness. I know XC racer types in their 60s and they’re bloody fast!

My potential peak was probably in 20s or 30s, but I was very unfit back then so I never really hit it. I’m fitter now. Maybe there’s a age peak to be had still, but had I actually been active back then I’d probably have hit my true peak back then.

Not that I really care. So long as I can keep going until I drop. Only thing age is telling me is stuff is dangerous, and I take less risks. So I may be getting less quick downhill (never was quick though anyway), but I’m getting faster on the flat and uphill. Just purely through fitness by just riding a lot.

martymac

Im a big chap too, which does limit speed uphill, also i dont ride that often, but when i go out in a mixed group im not last.
    Probably 2 or 3 peeps behind me, in a group of a dozen or so.
    I do try to think of the impact a big off would have on my life though, im 48 and have noticed I don’t recover as easily as i used to.
    Im the oldest in the group I ride with.

dovebiker

I’m 52 and can still keep up with the faster guys – I was having an uphill sprint with a 17 year-old and he only edged me because I was on fixed and ran out of gears.

I probably don’t have the same ‘snap’ as my younger years, but endurance is better. Lots of research suggest that provided you don’t stop / reduce your training you can still maintain your strength and power.

allthegear
    Free Member

/me makes note not to race dovebiker…

whitestone
    Free Member

One thing I have noticed: it’s not so much the effort of riding but the recovery that’s changed.

On a climb if there was even the slightest easing in angle for a few metres then I used to be able to use it to recover, I can’t do that any more. Similarly if I do a big ride (I’m into ITTs so 100 miles or more) then I take a long time to recover.

Conversely I know my body better so can measure my efforts so that I don’t go into the red and can do steady efforts day after day.

weeksy

45, not yet.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

you are past it soz

rawka
    Free Member

30 next month, am I doomed?

ferrals
    Free Member

whitestone – Member

One thing I have noticed: it’s not so much the effort of riding but the recovery that’s changed.

On a climb if there was even the slightest easing in angle for a few metres then I used to be able to use it to recover, I can’t do that any more. Similarly if I do a big ride (I’m into ITTs so 100 miles or more) then I take a long time to recover.

THis has hit me in a big way recently, two years ago I used to be able to race Sunday, do a hard ride on Tuesday, not a chance now. I’m only in my mid thirties!

mooman
    Free Member

Very few will be able to compare themselves to the best they could have ever been.
    I started riding a bike again about 10 years a go. From just riding to build up a knee after surgery, to them carrying on to lose some weight … and enjoying it more, and now just trying to hang with the fast boys in the club.

I feel now at the age of 46 I am still improving. Physically my body may be showing wear and tear, and have its limitations … but experience of knowing what works best for my body has been able to compensate for this.

poah
    Free Member

42 and my speed is mainly limited by my muscles, lungs and my testicle size lol.

whitestone
    Free Member

@ferrals – there may be a case for recovery taking longer than thought in younger riders as well, it’s just that it gets shrugged off and you go for it.

One of the take home points from Joe Friel is to do high intensity training on a regular basis as this will help maintain muscle mass – it’s the gradual loss of this that is the cause of reduced performance. Going from memory (I’d have to read the JF book again): it’s not entirely clear what causes muscle mass to reduce with age but it’s relatively consistent between athletes and non-athletes, obviously the athletes have more MM but the rate of decline is similar.

Kryton57

THis has hit me in a big way recently, two years ago I used to be able to race Sunday, do a hard ride on Tuesday, not a chance now. I’m only in my mid thirties!

45 – Took me until Wednesday for my legs to recover from BoB – I genuinly thought I had a leg virus.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Kryton, if that’s Battle on the Beach then yeah. 45 here too, did both Battle races, had Monday off and Tuesday night did my first ever TT. So at least? I’ve set the bar low 😀

Cyclist magazine did an article about this recently – think they said mid 40s, and losing bone density is also an issue which isn’t addressed by cycling as it’s low impact.

ulysse
    Free Member

39 for me. but it might have been all the coke speed ephedrine and mdma i was doing back then 😉

id say im faster now although endurance seems to have gone off a cliff

sillysilly
    Free Member

In my 30’s, riding faster than my 20’s. Twice in the last year I have been overtaken at speed by riders in their 50s / 60s. On both occasions the rider was on high end carbon, pushing harder than me, in great shape and loving their day.

Looked like good diet, training and willing to push hard beyond what I would do were big contributors. Seems to be an American thing…

Makes me smile / feel a little embarrassed whenever it happens.

rocketman
    Free Member

Only slower in some places because my judgement/reactions/responses have slowed down

Find it hard to ride through narrow tree gaps without easing off and tend to over-corner on corners. Can handle short sections of ugliness but sustained sections have me backing right off.

On the other hand from a fitness pov I’ve really found out what make me tick and reading through my riding diaries from the late 90s I’m better than I used to be so it’s not all gloom and doom

lazybike
    Free Member

I vaguely remember reading that the Army reckon 26 is the peak age for combat troops.

alibongo001

The high intensity bit is interesting above to keep muscle mass

I’ve always been a steady rider – bought a garmin and HR monitor belt to see how hard I should be pushing when out with some (younger / lighter) fitter friends.

I can do zone 1,2,3 all day long but really struggle to get into zone 4.

Perhaps I need to have my HR measured properly rather than the 220 minus my age?

epicsteve
    Free Member

Perhaps I need to have my HR measured properly rather than the 220 minus my age?

It can be pretty far out. Using that formula my max HR should be 171 but in reality it’s more like 185.

fooman

Look out for;

Fast After 50: How to Race Strong for the Rest of Your Life
    Book by Joe Friel

Which I’ve seen recommended here. I’ve read his other book Faster which was a very good read. Didn’t make me any quicker though!

BadlyWiredDog

One of the take home points from Joe Friel is to do high intensity training on a regular basis as this will help maintain muscle mass – it’s the gradual loss of this that is the cause of reduced performance.

I think the HIIT stuff is more about maintaining VO2 Max than muscle mass. For that he suggests activity-relevant strength training, weights etc. In a nut-shell, what Friel says is that your VO2 Max inevitably falls off as you age, but a combination of intense sessions, strength training and optimum recovery makes a big difference. And recovery slows down as you age, so your ability to recover from those intense sessions falls off compared to when you were younger.

What’s interesting is that there’s a whole new generation of athletes who’ve trained and competed for their entire lives pretty much and are still going strong. What’s ‘normal’ is evolving. People like Ned Overend are re-writing what people think is possible.

Anyway, the Friel book – Fast After 50 – is interesting if you want to be old and quick 🙂

chum3
    Free Member

When I was getting into XC racing, I learnt the hard way – beware the old guy in lycra!

Bream
    Free Member

For the majority of riders I think age is less important and fitness is simply a result of time/effort put in. Unless you’re elite type level but guess most riders aren’t.

The fitest I’ve been was when I turned 16, racing track at national level. Then a serious motorbike accident stopped me riding properly for a year and never had the motivation to train that hard again so never been that fit again. My record at 15 was a 23.09 10TT, never been close to that since, not that I’ve tried either TBH.

I’m now 44 and been riding properly again for the last 10 years I’m starting to regain near the sort of form I was nearly 30 years ago! Main difference is that now with a family time on bike is limited and 30 years ago it was all I did, everyday!

Personally I have found the Chris Carmichael Time Crunched Cyclist approah to be very helpful and effective, focussing on power and not heart rate. For training 4 times a week and for at a minimum of 6 hours in total I can complete at a reasonable level. I’ll never win but given the hours input I’m very happy with the placements and results, and just my overall riding fitness having no problem banging out a 5 hours 100km XC race etc.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Theoretical peak is mid 20’s, but pretty common in biking to see riders turning out their best performances in early 30’s.

For me I didn’t even start biking (properly) until I was 29, today age 36 and still improving. I certainly don’t really view anything under 50 as much of a barrier in endurance sports these days.

craigf
    Free Member

i’m 47… when i was 44/45 i was fitter and faster (relative to nothing but myself) than when i was 24/25. a function of riding volume, intensity and finally getting a few years of decent rides into me that taught me how to ride and recover. 2/3 years later, a bit heavier, two boys aged 4 and 7 that demand and deserve a decent bit of my time, and a bit of atrial fibrillation thrown into the mix these last two years, and it’s very much damage limitation and now into some sort of re-build.

the flipside to this is a guy i know in his mid-50’s, who i was ‘beating’ in rides/sportives (all relative don’t forget) is now doing stuff i couldn’t even contemplate at my ‘fittest’. his is a function of available time (older kids), commitment, club mates and so on.

not sure I have answered a question? seeing ‘old’ people riding around here in Yorkshire is both inspiring and terrifying, but it never seems ‘too late’ to get better. I see groups of 50/60 even 70 years olds on and off road. i saw a couple on a tandem near Bolton Abbey last weekend who must have had a combined age north of 200…

onewheelgood

I’m 57 and I think I’ve hit a plateau. I kept getting faster until a couple of years ago, but the PRs are rare these days. I’m pretty sure that if I could get a bit more time on the bike I could be faster again, but my job makes that a bit difficult.
    On the Max HR question, 220 – 57 would give me 163, but it’s been 186 for at least the last 10 years.

elliott-20
    Free Member

I’m fitter (faster) now at 39 than I was at 29 – due to a number of factors.

But on the flip side probably more risk adverse than I was at 19 but a better, less injured rider.

bob_summers

43 next month and off-road I’ve definitely peaked – too scared of falling off.
    Fitnesswise, I train with a lot of younger lads racing junior or U23 so have a fairly consistent benchmark, and haven’t noticed any real decline (not training quite as much as previous years, currently about 15h/wk, but that’s coz I don’t really want to). However a couple of weeks off the bike costs me more than it used to.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’d be really interested to see if the relatively unfit 23-year-old me could beat the relatively fit 43-year-old me.

Future generations will be able to answer this question via Strava.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

I’ve been spanked at hill races by people who look old enough to be my grandparents.

I reckon (based on pure observation, no science) if you keep at it all your life you keep most of your stamina, if not strength.

If your average 70-odd year old who wasn’t already fit tried to take up running/cycling they’d probably just die though…

maxtorque

43, and and faster than i have ever been overall, but not as fit (think my peak fitness was prob aged 36/37). Faster because i am more skillfull now, and my bike is a lot better than ever before!

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

If your overweight that will slow you down more.

I’d say I’m fitter now as I have more time to ride than when I was younger in my 40’s. 60 next year, 296 FTP. No issues up or down but as above if your overweight that’s the issue not age related slowing down. You loose strength yes but retain your endurance. So you work on power gaining more/retaining strength.

You also should eat more protein and rest more as an older athlete

TiRed

49 and never been faster nor fitter. Always been fit always cycled. Only started competitively at 45. I’ve never trained harder, but recovery is important. Riding 14 hrs a week and 400 km. I take every fourth week as a rest week (half volume) and at least one day off the bike completely. I’d have probably got to this level faster had I been younger, but no signs of slowing yet.

There are some VERY fast vets about.

thecaptain
    Free Member

For running there are the WAVA tables, which suggest that performance drops off very little in 40s, more rapidly in 50s. For cycling, the vet standards for time trials serve the same function. I’m still getting faster as a runner (late 40s) and plan to test myself with a few TTs, expect to be only marginally slower than I was in my 20s.

Vets have always done pretty well at MTBO events (typically 5h).

Conclusion: there’s no reason to go significantly downhill until at least 50 or beyond, with training effort (and injury/illness) being much more important than age.

In the 50s and later there’s a very clear drop-off in running performance. I beat every 55+yo in the Manchester marathon last sunday – and last year too IIRC – but was well outside top 10 in my own (45-49) age group.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Age / Speed. At what age do you generally peak and start going slower?’ is closed to new replies.