Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Age for racing and training
  • philxx1975
    Free Member

At 42 are you too old to realistically think about going racing?

steve_b77
    Free Member

I wouldn’t say so

wwaswas

The only problem with racing at that age is you’re in vets with all the fast blokes 😉

jimdubleyou

Depends what you want to get out of it?

I had a go last year (age 40), it was fun but I haven’t got the time to devote to it to get above the bottom 3rd.

Kryton57

I started seriously at 42 and I’m in no means the minority that do it – quite often Vets is the largest field.

The only problem with racing at that age is you’re in vets with all the fast bloke

This. All those people who started racing as kids and amassed years of experience and ability, this is them.

epicyclo

philxx1975 – Member

Only if you want to win.

thetallman
    Free Member

Hope not. I’m 42 and have just entered the 6hr solo at Torq in your sleep as my first ‘race’.

MikeWW
    Free Member

At 42 you have got loads of years of racing ahead

teamslug
    Free Member

I started doing a few races at 47 y.o. I’m no good but i’m fitter than I have ever been. Love the motivation of having to get up and go train.

njee20
    Free Member

I had a go last year (age 40), it was fun but I haven’t got the time to devote to it to get above the bottom 3rd

That’s nothing to do with age though.

2tyred

Hope not, I’m 42!

Only if you want to win.

Really? I won a race last month!

TiRed

Don’t be silly. I didn’t start until I was 45 (50 next year). I’m unlikely to make it to 2nd Cat easily (not a big sprinter), but have gone from fourth Cat back of the bunch to finishing top third in 2/3 100 km road races. Vets racing is VERY competitive as well, I’m sometimes top ten in those races, but seldom troubling the podium.

Set some realistic goals, try and exceed them. Mine is domestique duties for our team, 300 km/week training/racing and 2nd Cat as a stretch goal.

As for off road – well the above gives me the fitness, but as for skills – bwahahaha – top third is my limit, and that’s based on beating people on the climbs and trying to mince my way to the bottom before I’m caught again!

Have a go, it really is a lot of fun!

Kryton57

Have a go, it really is a lot of fun!

^^ Best advice so far.

dovebiker

Still racing at 51 so OP is a youngster! In one race I’d have got onto the podium if I’d raced in the <40s but only finished 9th in the grand vets!

cloudnine
    Free Member

Do the fun racing events like Battle on the Beach, Dyfi Enduro etc

mrlebowski
    Free Member

I bloody hope not – I’m 45 & raced on Sunday, should I be dead by now??

MoreCashThanDash

A mate started CX and track older than that, to give him something to do while his lad was racing.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Age for racing and training’ is closed to new replies.