Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Age 40+ thinking of getting a BMX -any recommendations please?
  • nach
    Free Member

You can pick up lots of cheap secondhand bmx’s because they are either useless or stolen.
    Buy carefully

Yeah, my previous £25 ebay BMX quickly became a £200 one once I’d done it up:

It was too short because I didn’t know what I was doing at the time 😳

arcadian
    Free Member

I bought one on a whim earlier in the year – Eastern Ramrodder for about £30 on ebay (was a bit duffed). Sorted it out and had it down a few local skateparks and was surprised by how much work it is!
    Possibly down to it being a heavy bike but also as you’re always standing and never pedalling from the saddle – upside is that it helps the legs get a bit stronger for those long mtb descents!

Euro
    Free Member

I’m disappointed at the pics of bikes but no one riding them*.

I rode bmx for 20+ years but for me it’s a serious case of ‘been there done that’. If i got one now i’d likely injure myself very badly trying to recreate my youthful exploits. Nothing will build your bike handling skills like it, but it can be very sore.

I agree with the guy dissing 24+26″ versions, they are not the same thing at all (had a 26″ DMR jump bike for a while recently and it was fun but not in the same league). Don’t worry too much about the size, i’m 6’5″ and my bikes weren’t especially long.

* An old pic but at least there’s a body on board 😀

anono

I’ve been getting quite BMX-curious recently and wondered whether having ridden another small wheeled bike (albeit a brompton) might help on a BMX?

Any brompton riders out there who missed out on BMX in their youth and now giving it a try?

Dark-Side

Damn this thread, just made in impulse eBay purchase. Its a bit of a wreck but I suspect it will go the way of Nach’s Dyno 8)

Thats a lovely Redline up there ^.

Great pic Euro!

sharkattack

I rode BMX loads in the 90’s and went all over the place. I started out on an MTB thought so I never could find a bike I felt comfortable on because they didn’t exist.

Things have changed now though. Frames are longer, bars are wider, front ends are much higher and the whole things are half the weight. I think I could actually fit on a modern BMX.

I still have a thing for SandM and keep coming back to the Tallboy;

21.5 top tube with an extra tall headtube (by BMX standards) I can’t find anything else like it. Paired with some modern 9 or 10 inch handlebars I think we’d be on to something.

helpful1
    Free Member

That’s odd considering 9″ rise 28″ wide bars and 21.5″ TT frames were already easily available in the mid 80s.

sharkattack

Yeah but you didn’t wanna be seen riding ‘wingdings’. They went out with double toptubes and padsets. Street bars in the 90’s were tiny. People used to cut them right down and run their grips over the bend.

This is what a typical bike looked like for me.

helpful1
    Free Member

Yeah. I’m well aware of the entire history of BMX fashion.
    But Growing up as the only BMXer in a small minded town I didn’t care what people thought. still don’t.

Euro
    Free Member

the only BMXer in a small minded town

Sorry can’t resist 😀

Cheers Dark Side, very fond memories of my bmxing days, not many pics though…

I find it a bit funny when i read what helmet/pad/special shoes threads when i think back to what we did/didn’t wear back then. Here’s couple of pics i discovered recently from a 70’s themed fancy dress party. First house i rented as a working man had a decent sized back garden that was big enough for a few dirt jumps and a mini ramp.

Time for a what wig, flares and brogues for bmxing thread? 😆

sharkattack

Helpful1 in 1999. Freaking out squares in the provinces

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Age 40+ thinking of getting a BMX -any recommendations please?’ is closed to new replies.