Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Aftermarket Car Warranties – Worth it?
  • solamanda
    Free Member

I’m about to collect a new (used) car and am considering purchasing a warranty policy. Has anyone got experience with these, especially if you have claimed? Which company did you use?

Thanks

loddrik
    Free Member

I hope they are as we did the same, not had to use it and hope I never do. Can’t remember company name though.

dooosuk
    Free Member

How old is the car and what are you hoping it will cover?

There’s all kind of exemptions on them.

loddrik
    Free Member

As above, I think the key is to ascertain what it does cover and what is doesn’t. Mine was pretty comprehensive. They also have a limit per claim which can be restrictive.

br
    Free Member

Some are, some aren’t – and you’ll only know when you come to claim.

Like most non-mandatory insurance, you are just insuring money so only you can decide where your risk appetite is.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Don’t buy it now; wait until the dealer’s warranty expires.

loddrik
    Free Member

I’m guessing it already has…

peterfile
    Free Member

Depending on the level of cover you want, I took out an AA Parts and Labour policy, which is an add on to my regular recovery policy. It only cost about £40 for the year and they pay the first £500 of any repairs/labour arising from a breakdown.

I’ve used it and they were really really good. Broke down, AA guy attended, couldn’t fix it, towed me to my local garage, they fixed it after speaking with AA claim department, I paid the bill and the AA sent me a cheque for £470. No problems at all.

My garage (a german cars indy) says that their “warranty” department is generally great and they have no problems dealing with them.

Definitely worth the money if you decide not to go down the full aftermarket warranty route.

solamanda
    Free Member

The AA warranty sounds good. I was looking at Warranty Direct which states pretty comprehensive cover but is £500 a year for the car.

It is a BMW 335D that I am buying privately, hence looking into an aftermarket warranty as there will be no warranty.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

I’m guessing it already has…

POSTED 16 MINUTES AGO # REPORT
    Not manufacturer’s warranty.
    If bought from a dealer then the car is covered by a warranty, often 6 months, whether the dealer offers it or not.
    The dealer may try and flog a warranty to cover his obligations and more, gaining a small commission in the process.

Greybeard
    Free Member

As with any other insurance, it’s worth it in two situations

– when you can’t afford the insured event, such as house burning down, traffic accident with huge damages, etc.

– if you’re at higher risk than the insurer thinks you are

Insurance companies make their money (to pay for operating costs and profit) from somewhere, and it can only be customers

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Aftermarket Car Warranties – Worth it?’ is closed to new replies.