Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Aftermarket automotive sound deadening – any experiences?
  • nickewen
    Free Member

Has anyone done this to their car or otherwise had any experience of it?

I’ve got a little 135i that is a cracking little motor and one I had originally wanted to purchase at the end of my contract. However, the one thing that pisses me off about the car is the cabin noise at motorway speeds.. Having a conversation at 70mph requires more volume than it should and on 300mile+ trips it gets frustrating. The noise seems to be more road noise than wind noise if that makes a difference..

Not sure whether to just go back to a saloon when the time comes.. Seems a shame given how brilliant the car is otherwise, and I was looking forward to a near 400bhp remap if I buy it and don’t have daft warranties etc. to worry about.. 😈

Genuine 1st world non-problem I know..

Davesport

My lad’s got the same car with the re-map. I can’t say I’ve noticed that it’s outwardly noisy as you describe. Could the problem be the tyres you’re using ?

renton
    Free Member

Are the tyres run flats as they can be quite noisy.

nickewen
    Free Member

It’s on the Michelin pilot super sports or something it comes with as standard on the 18’s. Mind you I am a bit of a fanny on account of having sensitive lugs and tinnitus.. I think the best car I’ve had for being quiet in the cabin was an old Passat saloon!

nickewen
    Free Member

Nah they’re not run flats. I had those on a 3 series though which was actually quieter inside.. potentially due to more insulation / not being a hatch though

argoose
    Free Member

linky Used these guys to sound deaden a citroen berlingo van. very good to deal with and very good results.

twicewithchips
    Free Member

I pondered this on a previous car, but decided that while I could stick that mass loaded foam stuff (kinda heavy karrimat) in the doors and the like, I’d end up breaking clips so the thing would rattle after I’d got it all back together.
    That would displease me.

argoose
    Free Member

linky Helps not breaking clips

Vader
    Free Member

just swapped tyres on the polo, utterly transformed it. Virtually no road noise whatsoever now. Previously it was appalling, you couldn’t listen to the radio on the motorway as it had to be so loud.

twonks

Have a word with the guys below.

Very knowledgable and a good selection of good quality material to solve particular problems.

http://www.deadening.co.uk/

nickewen
    Free Member

Thanks for the information and links everyone! Some really useful stuff there. The tyres are nearly ready for replacing anyway so that may be something to look into. I can’t imagine it is cheap getting someone to take your whole car interior to bits and put that stuff everywhere (especially with the number of airbags in cars nowadays!) so think I’ll research the tyres first.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Aftermarket automotive sound deadening – any experiences?’ is closed to new replies.