Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • After posting I was happy with my bike last week
  • AntLockyer
    Free Member

I made the mistake of weighing it yesterday.

29.8lbs

On One 456
    Pike Coil SL
    Haven bars
    the vice stem
    Hayes nine brakes
    Stans Arch on hope hubs
    Nevegal rear
    Blue Groove front
    tubeless (stans fluid)
    Thompson post cut down
    Bel air sadde
    ESI grips
    X9 shifters and rear mech
    SLX Triple chainset
    Shimano DX pedals

So the obvious candidates are the fork, frame and crankset.

What say you?

epicsteve
    Free Member

Do you find that weight a problem when riding it? If not then ignore.

If you were trying to build a light bike then I wouldn’t have thought you’d start with coil Pikes and a steel On-One frame. You might if you wanted a fun bike though…

cynic-al
    Free Member

I say a bike is for riding not weighing.

You’d save **** all changing the cranks. You may save a chunk on the forks. If you change the frame the ride you like so much will change a lot.

Think about it.

Bregante

What they said. If you were happy with it before weighing it, why change it?

coolhandluke
    Free Member

The Pike fork I’ll be the bulk of it.

Doesn’t the SL have a steel crown and steerer? My Pike 409’s did and hey weighed loads. My coil 454’s are loads lighter, alloy crown, alloy steerer.

PaulD
    Free Member

Pedals, tyres and then all the finishing kit items could do with scrutiny….the devil is in the detail.
    Just weigh up the options each time something needs replacing.
    Kendas are often real bloaters…DTC wire Nevs can be over 800g each.

PaulD

wallop

It doesn’t actually weigh any more than before you weighed it. Nothing has changed.

mactheknife

Why care? My 5 spot is sitting around the 29/30 lbs mark but i could not care less. It does everything i want with bells on. 😀 Just ride and enjoy.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Steel crown WTF?

AntLockyer
    Free Member

Actually they might not be the SL as they have the bar mounted poploc. None of the pikes had a steel crown, one version had an alu steerer and hollow crown, the other steel and solid.

The only issue I find is it’s hard to get the front up for drops, popping over logs and manuals.

Nothing that’s going to kill me or detract from my fun so thanks for the reality check. It was the trail bike article in the mag this month that got me thinking, and I was suprised to be at the 30lb mark.

atlaz
    Free Member

The only issue I find is it’s hard to get the front up for drops, popping over logs and manuals

Not really a weight thing then. More a “you” thing 😉

Having seen people manualling DH/freeride bikes a good distance yesterday (and some smartarse backflipping a DH bike and landing it), I’ve come to the conclusion that my inability to manual a bike for any distance is all me, nothing to do with my bikes.

cooie

My Inbred 853 with pikes was in that weight region,was never a
    problem(apart from lifting over gates etc :D)

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Revelations took 1lb off against my Pike 454’s and have much better damping, dual flow rebound really improves performance over repeated big hits, so more for you.

However, I just put Lyriks on – same weight as the Pikes, much more fun than the Revs (or Pikes!).

I could save 2.5 lbs off my bike, but would cost nearly a grand. I decided to just ride more.

AntLockyer
    Free Member

Not really a weight thing then. More a “you” thing

Having seen people manualling DH/freeride bikes a good distance yesterday (and some smartarse backflipping a DH bike and landing it), I’ve come to the conclusion that my inability to manual a bike for any distance is all me, nothing to do with my bikes.

True but I was great at manuals on my BMX, I’m going to blame the bike ti can’t be me 😀

NormalMan

I think it depends on why you weighed the bike. If it was just because you wanted to know or if it ‘felt’ a tad heavy. If the former, then ignore it as the ride won’t change from what you were/are enjoying. If the latter, then you were ‘looking for something’ then the various suggestions for putting it on a diet apply.

Can I ask, how are you enjoying the 456 in terms of ride/handling? I am toying with pulling the trigger on the 456 evo to replace my kona blink.

Thanks.

Neil_Bolton
    Free Member

My Zesty is full XTR, Haven wheels, Haven bars, Thomson stem and Float forks.

And yet it’s still about 28 pounds. However, I’m getting a lot fitter and finding it much easier to ride.

I’d start there rather than chase down the pounds.

Remember, you don’t want to have people pointing at you for your B2C ratio…

skink2020

Never weigh your bike or yourslef.

jackthedog
    Free Member

I really do think the effects of weight are generally given a little too much consideration. As said above, bikes are for riding, not weighing. What gives good bragging rights in the car park doesn’t necessarily equate to the best bike.

Don’t worry about it, it’s only a number. You were happy with it before you weighed it, which says everything as far as I can see.

ampthill

Note to self, don’t weigh bike…

Northwind

Perfectly respectable weight for what it is. Leave the crankset but you might want to take some bits off it and go double- taking bits off is free

bigblackshed

I’m always in 2 minds with tyres / tubes & stans fluid. Big tough tyres that will take a beating but feel heavy and sluggish. Or light flimsy balloons that don’t protect your expensive rims????

Slime filled tubes were the death of my 456ss. (That weighed over 31lbs) Always felt dead. Sold it, then had a ride on a similar spec’d one with light weight tyres. Positively frisky in comparison.

If its weight reduction you’re after, the Pikes, then the DH bars / stem / Thompson. The DX pedals aren’t the lightest either. Wellgo mags. Same price, 1/2 the weight.

PiknMix
    Free Member

Ant,
    you havnt ever worked for a large japanese electrical computer company have you?

exact same name.

Go ride your bike then buy lighter stuff as it breaks.

Drac

Why care? My 5 spot is sitting around the 29/30 lbs mark but i could not care less. It does everything i want with bells on.

Take the bells off it might make a big difference to the weight.

AntLockyer
    Free Member

I weighed it because of the perceived front end weight and curiosity. It rides so much nicer with it’s current wheels compared to the DMR and heavy Mavic DH rims I had before.

A lot of the components came off this

Then moved onto an NS Bitch then the 456 as I’ve got more and more XC (in the traditional sense).

I think the stem might have to go just because matching the bars would be nice and the vice looks rubbish.

PnM not me I’m afraid.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘After posting I was happy with my bike last week’ is closed to new replies.