Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • After noon STW anyone know if I can mix and match drive train parts?
  • kaesae
    Free Member

I’ve just bought some X9 mechs and X7 shifters, I also just got a new cassette and chain, can I run any crank rings with these or am I limited to certain makes?

Normally I just run full drive trains but I want to Run a 38 tooth with a 24 tooth if I can.

Any help that saves me doing extra work this weeks greatly appreciated 😀

wwaswas

anythign with an ‘X’ on the front from SRAM is compatable for mechs and shifters. All 9 speed cog/chainrings/chains are interchangeable.

24/38 might be too big a step, I think for reliable shifting? [edit] maybe not it’s only like 39/53 on a road bike.

jam-bo

22-36 shifts fine, 24-38 should be alright.

ltheisinger
    Free Member

jam bo – Member

22-36 shifts fine, 24-38 should be alright.

+1 – I run 22/36

meehaja
    Free Member

I think chain ring wise you can.. I ran raceface rings with shaman Deore/Lx/XT mechs for years without trouble. Never used SRAM stuff, except chains, but these ran fine as well?

soobalias
    Free Member

first things first, send back the X9 rear mech and buy one with a real spring.

RustyMac

Chain ring wise you can use any, i’ve used Race Face race rings, Blackspire chain rings, Deore, SLX and XT rings on a varity of cranks with Sram X7 X9 shifters and mechs.

no idea on suitable step form one ring to another.

kaesae
    Free Member

Thanks, don’t want to take my shimano drive train off and end up with some kind of compatiblity issue.

As always if anyone needs anything they think I can help out with, just email me.

Hope everyone has a good weekend, ridefree!

kaesae
    Free Member

A thought has just occured to me, what’s the best rings to run and any idea’s about places that sell them cheaply?

RustyMac

On the principle new rings usually means a new chain a sproket if what you have is all bedded in together i’d just keep it till it wears out then it is up to how much you want to spend at the time 😀

kaesae
    Free Member

Everything is new except for the mechs which are in good nick, not sure what I should run, I want the parts to last but also want reasonanbly good quality.

I know that if I try and mix and match used parts it will jump and have other issues.

I’ll just monitor ebay and run a few google searches, see what I can find.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘After noon STW anyone know if I can mix and match drive train parts?’ is closed to new replies.