Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • After being over taken, over take then slow down.
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Twice today! On longish climbs, I slowly, gradually reeled in a rider ahead, rode past with a cheery hello, only for them to immediately wind up the gears to overtake.

Then sit on their brakes on the way down the other side! Sadly, both times coincided with reasonably heavy traffic so I couldn’t get past again on the downhill bits.

Clearly some people ride like they drive*. Can’t have their status challenged!

*Like a dick.

martinhutch

Has somebody pinned an insulting message on the back of your jersey?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Were they wearing Team Sky kit?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Saw a couple of guys out with jerseys that said if you are reading this your probably last…

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Sounds like you were to big a mincer to get past?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

In the south lakes, there’s never many folk out on road bikes. I’ve never been overtaken whilst on a ride. If I see someone up ahead then I’ll always put in a hard effort to catch and overtake them, as it’s not very often you get a chance to race. I usually open up a bit of a gap, then pull over and pretend to adjust my saddle whilst swaying about trying not to pass out.

toppers3933
    Free Member

Used to get this all the time on my commute to work. I’d overtake then about 30secs later they’d come back past, chin on the stem giving it loads then sit up again. So I’d go back past and this would repeat until we went in different directions. Always used to cheer me up. Nut jobs.

gavstorie
    Free Member

road bike problem… #MTBforum

Junkyard
    Free Member

Admit it catching them up downhill just means you were fatter than them.

On the rare occasions i get overtaken [ because i see so few cyclists not due to awesomeness to be clear] you can tell straight away whether you can hang on to their wheel or not.

The only time I ever respond is when someone on a MTB decides to race me on the road bike. I like to just sit behind them watching them endure the pain of lactic threshold till they crack 😈

scaredypants

Jeez flashy, if you couldn’t get past on a road, I think you’d better sign up for one of gavstorie’s masterclasses

Superficial
    Free Member

The alternative way to read this is that you tried to overtake someone but you expended too much energy and couldn’t keep up the work rate, so they overtook you again.

You can only be truly superior if you can get ahead and stay ahead.

Anyway, surely it’s more entertaining to have a bit of too-and-fro than just to sit 100m behind / in front of other riders? Some people take riding bikes way too seriously.

nickc

A bloke I’ve seen a couple of times rides full on sky gear* got in behind me, after a couple of miles had a go at me as I was “pushing it a bit”.

I was a tad surprised to say the least

* whatever float yer boat, if your Sunday ride is made better by pretending to be part of a team then knock yourself out

chainslapp
    Free Member

Can’t have their status challenged!

Could you please expand regarding the above statement please? 😕

teasel
    Free Member

Perhaps they’re not as comfortable descending as they are climbing. This idiosyncratic behaviour immediately makes them dicks, of course…

rOcKeTdOg

sums up trail centres

disappointed you let the rider get back in front, surprised you’ve admitted it

MrNice
    Free Member

rode past with a cheery hello

may not have helped. The last thing I need if I’m struggling on a hill is some smug **** cruising past being jovial while I’m blowing through my arse

EDIT: I’m surprised that got picked up by the swear filter, I thought I’d picked something only slightly rude. maybe it’s feeling sensitive today

Stoner
    Free Member

Perhaps they’re not as comfortable descending as they are climbing. This idiosyncratic behaviour immediately makes them dicks, of course…

I thought it made you Andy Schleck 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

well played Stoner

deadkenny
    Free Member

The BMW driver on the trails 😉

jools182
    Free Member

If I see someone up ahead then I’ll always put in a hard effort to catch and overtake them

Why?

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Why not?

bikeneil
    Free Member

^^ this ^^

torihada
    Free Member

MrNice – Member
    rode past with a cheery hello

may not have helped. The last thing I need if I’m struggling on a hill is some smug **** cruising past being jovial while I’m blowing through my arse

🙂

Many years ago I was climbing Mount Ventoux on a touring bike weighted down with four panniers. I was completely zoned out, head down, just concentrating on the tarmac, embracing the pain. A French roadie silently overtook me and broke the silence with a cheery “Bonjour”. I was so surprised that I fell off my bike and then stood there cursing. I imagine the French roadie thought what an idiot.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

aptainFlashheart – Member

Twice today! On longish climbs, I slowly, gradually reeled in a rider ahead, rode past with a cheery hello, only for them to immediately wind up the gears to overtake.

Then sit on their brakes on the way down the other side! Sadly, both times coincided with reasonably heavy traffic so I couldn’t get past again on the downhill bits.

Clearly some people ride like they drive*. Can’t have their status challenged!

*Like a dick.

I’ve lost count how many times you’ve said this.

Perhaps those ‘big epic all day rides’ you done last year have made you light headed.

cloudnine
    Free Member

It’s probably more amusing quietly catching someone up and they turn round… They then decide they have to drop you. So you just let them go.. And depending on your / their fitness slowly gain back on them as they blow up. Or they are a racing whippet snake and dissappear off into the distance..

singlespeedstu

I struggle to give a **** what anyone else is doing on a bike.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

You get the same dicks off-road they pedal like mad pass you then stop at the top the climb for a rest.Very pointless.Which I have remarked on the odd occasion.Nowt as strange as FOLK.

jools182
    Free Member

Singlespeedstu +1

teasel
    Free Member

I thought it made you Andy Schleck

🙂

Can’t believe I missed that opportunity.

piemonster

Schleck comment LOL

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Bravo, Stoner! 😀

rOcKeTdOg – Member
    sums up trail centres

Is the Test Valley a trail centre now? Was just out for a couple of hours before lunch!

rOcKeTdOg

Is the Test Valley a trail centre now? Was just out for a couple of hours before lunch!

Dunno, seems well named though, I presume you didn’t get a certificate?

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Out on the road on NYE, three riders turned out of a junction ahead of me & carried on up the road I was heading up. I slowly caught up but, feeling grotty & still having this chesty cough I knew I didn’t have the strength to pass them then drop them. Instead I hung back far enough that I wasn’t wheel-sucking til they realised I was there, they then put on a spurt & slowly drew ahead whilst I coughed my way up the hill.
    No desire to speed past only to get in their way 500 yards later.
    If I was feeling healthy I may have gone about things differently though.. 😉

Xylene
    Free Member

Couple of years back, while returning home to Wylam having been out riding around the local area, I was on my Spec Enduro, heading into Wylam on the main road.

Ahead were a group of six roadies, fully clothed in a flock.

I was on the home straight, so dropped into the power gears and powered on past them at full tilt towards the train line.

As I approached the train line to pull off and go to the flat, I realised that tucked in behind me were all six roadies using my large wind defeating girth to save some energy – made me chuckle, as it did them.

oldgit
    Free Member

People who react to being overtaken are massive losers.

Went past a guy on a hill, i wasn’t trying, just doing my own thing. When it leveled I could hear him behind me furiously searching for gears, then he went past and sort of faded, fast but fading. It was embarrassing I had to hold back I don’t play silly sods on the road. But I did wind him up a bit, I purposely back pedaled so he could hear me freewheeling behind him. Glad when I went another way. What a berk, showing me everything he had.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

I have on occasion over taken someone who just passed me, usually about half way through my ride when I find I’ve gotten a bit distracted by a particular thought process or the view and forgotten to keep the cadence up. Not trying to be cock but it’s not always about you.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘After being over taken, over take then slow down.’ is closed to new replies.