Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • After a new all round bike
  • astura
    Free Member

Time has come to change my bike again, i want a bike i can do everything (i could do XC on, i can do freeride stuff on, i can take to revolution),but need it to be lightweight. Im after new so i can use the 0% finance option and i do like a high bottom bracket so iv always favoured Oranges in the past. Max spend 2800 really. Any ideas iv been looking at a few but iv only really looked at Oranges so far?

dropoff

YT Capra, not sure about the finance though.
    Or Airdrop Edit V2 maybe ?

joebristol

What do you class as light?

How much travel / what riding do you do most of?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    astura
    Free Member

Just light really, i like my bike to feel nimble. Not bothered too much on travel as i ride better on my 130mm travel parkwood than i do on my 160mm travel bike but i wouldnt take my 130mm to bpw or revolution so after suggestions

joemmo
    Free Member

You may struggle finding something with a high bottom bracket, trail bike geometry is generally tending towards lower BBs. I suspect even the new Oranges are lower than they used to be.

joebristol

For the budget I don’t think you’ll get a light enduro style bike really.

Capra sounds a bit much maybe for what you want – maybe you could get s carbon jeffsy 27.5?

Maybe see what Canyon / Raydon have got too – they’re both makes where perhaps you’d get carbon for the money.

A lot of the other suspects for enduro bikes are either pretty heavy at that price or out your price range for the lighter versions.

There is a recent thread about bike weights and almost none of the enduro style bikes were sub 40 lbs

deviant
    Free Member

Giant Trance, the forks on the new ones have gone from 140mm to 150mm I gather but they still pedal well and can take bike park abuse too.

The metal ones are always available at less than 2k somewhere and places like Tredz and Pedalon always have finance options available.

I put mine together as a frame only project, chose X-fusion suspension for budget reasons but both front and back have been as good as anything I’ve ever had from Fox or Rockshox, went 1×10 but I think 1×11 is now standard on them, even the included Giant Contact dropper post has been faultless…wheels are Superstar but a full build has Giant’s own and by all accounts they’re very good.

astura
    Free Member

Iv narrowed it down to 2, i think.

Santa cruz 5010 (in pole position at the mo)
    Or
    On One Coedine

deviant
    Free Member

Had a spin on a 650b Codeine at BPW the other day, very good and did get me thinking about a bike change….

chunkychew
    Free Member

Geometry is going to be more important than weight if you intend to use the bike for a range of different riding. Don’t buy without trying first.

pktri
    Free Member
    eddiebaby
    Free Member

Santa Cruz 5010 massively impressed me when I rode one. If I’d tried it before the Jekyll I would have bought it in a heartbeat.

wl
    Free Member

Few of my friends have Alpine 6s and they love them – they ride mainly rough, steep and techie natural stuff in Yorkshire and Lakes, and Alps/BC . BB isn’t high, but they ride all the better for that. See the Dirt review in this year’s Dirt 100. I’d have one, but I chose a Five for the slight weight benefit for all-day rides, and a bit more zippy/fun. Five is a mint bike and I’d happily thrash it in the Alps. I wouldn’t do massive drops or jumps on it, but that’s not my thing. Best bike I’ve ridden (and yes, I tried and liked the Stage 5 too, just preferred the Five with 36s). Usual excellent Orange reliability so far.

ogden
    Free Member

Canyon strive or a Bird Aeris ?

scuttler

Stash of 2017 Orange Five Pros on Sunset’s website at 2999 plus a 10% discount too and 0% finance. Also call your local Orange dealer as they might price match or be offering similar discounts.

https://www.sunsetmtb.co.uk/shop/index.php?product_id=4668&category_id=292 (plus code SAVE10).

joebristol

I love my Aeris 145, but I wouldn’t say ‘light’ is one of its features. On the luggage scales at home it comes out just over 32lbs. Although it isn’t a particularly light build with Yaris / GX 1x 11 / Guides / ft Swiss e1900 sonmaybe with fancier kit you might get it down to 30lbs.

It doesn’t feel draggy except on the road / on fire roads though.

v666ern
    Free Member

Santa cruz 5010 (in pole position at the mo)
    Or
    On One Coedine

So bottom end SC £2500 or V top end OO @ £1500, thats quite a big difference.
    time to recomend what you ride – banshee spitfire – 160f / 140r and you can change the geo with chips for xc etc

Stevelol
    Free Member

This thread is a month old guys 😛

scuttler

Good job the OP’s request is a hardy perennial then 😉

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘After a new all round bike’ is closed to new replies.