Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Afline gear window removeable?
  • marka.
    Free Member

As title, really. Might want to move the brake lever more inboard and the shifter buttons more outboard.

It’s my wife’s bike that she’s just got so we’ll see how she gets on with things as they are, but it might be better for her to have things moved around a bit. I know XT and above have removable windows, but does the Alfine? It will leave you with minimal idea of what get it’s in, though, since you can’t just glance at the rear cogs.

ssboggy

It will also make it difficult to set the gears up as you line up the two yellow marks with the barrel adjuster when its in gear 4

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

the window does just come off tho two screws on the top of the casing. Leaves the shifter rather open tho. You can count clicks to 4th gear and it hardly ever needs to be done anyway

marka.
    Free Member

I’m less worried about that. You can you either guess which is gear 4 since that will give the closed lining up of the yellow markers, or else you could click up or down from bottom or top gears.

marka.
    Free Member

(Above reply was to ssboggy, by the way).

Thanks TJ. Useful to know if I need it. I could always use some Duck Tape to cover the hole.

Hicksy
    Free Member

I modified one by removing the to cover, removing the red indictor pointer thing then cutting off the shifter window bit before refitting it – if you fill the section you are cutting off with silcon sealer before you cut it, it seals it nicely and looks neat.

The shifter now sits outboard of the brake lever.

For setting the shifter up you simply put it in the lowest gear then shift up 3 times and hey presto – you’re in 4th!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Afline gear window removeable?’ is closed to new replies.