• This topic has 17 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by paule.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Affordable, pretty, lively, fun Titanium road frames?
  • hooja
    Free Member

The time has come to change my composite Condor Squadra frame for some titanium, which i have been lusting after for a while.
    Im looking for any realistic recommendations or reviews, of any frames that should shoot to the top of my list.
    By affordable, i mean, not some crazy boutique £2k+ frameset and also nothing custom, I think that will sadly be out of my price range.
    Cheers

nerd
    Free Member

Fatbirds (can’t fly) have a large range:

http://www.fatbirds.co.uk/1023/titanium-road-frames.aspx

I don’t have a titanium bike, though!

qwerty
    Free Member

Lynskey from CRC @ 1k ? Snap one up!

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Sabbath September?

2013 review: http://road.cc/content/review/81781-sabbath-september

Think last time I looked about a grand at Spa Cycles

wiggles
    Free Member

Lynskey from CRC @ 1k ? Snap one up!

😉

hooja
    Free Member

Cheers all,
    I have intentionally not been looking at Lynskeys, as they are more than I want to pay but for £1k! I need to re consider!
    Anyone own or ridden the R265?
    I do like the sabbath too, although I think I would’ve leaning more towards the aspire. I’d be very interested in hearing opinions on either

scaredypants

I’ve no particular advice to offerm except general support for Ti frames, even quite cheap ones

In the past I’d have said “meh” but I have a van nicholas cx frame that is genuinely different to ride – a couple of my mates have had a go and talk about how smooth it is on the road (700cx25 tyres). (cx: what-evva – 34mm tyres can’t do that much on a rough track)

I’m not betting on it lasting forever (though I don’t ride it all that much) but it is nice to ride; really smooth feel even with a cheap and pretty stiff carbon cx fork.

(I have a 30yr-old handbuilt steel tourer frame that has a similar feel but it’s also ded “whippy” or some might say noodly which the Ti frame isn’t – no way would I load up the steel frame with heavy bags, even if it was newer)

BadlyWiredDog

Anyone own or ridden the R265?

No, but I have a Lynskey-made Planet X Ti Pro Road and it’s lovely. And for all the jibes about Lynskey, when my Ragley Ti frame cracked, they sorted it out under warranty and, eventually, went several extra miles to make sure I was happy. Plus road bikes generally get an easier time of it.

They’ve been building titanium frames for an awfully long time.

joshvegas
    Free Member

They’ve been building titanium frames for an awfully long time.

Abd yet they still crack…

Andy

Titanium frames do crack, so for me a decent, as in minimum 10 years, warranty is essential. I personally think its still worthwhile though for the ride quality.

Lynskey make an aweful lot of frames for themselves and other brands which might explain the jibes about them cracking. My lynskey On One cracked but was repaired as new. Excellent customer service from both Lynskey and Planet-x (surprisingly) as well. I’d happily get another.

Litespeed do seem to have a reputation for terrible customer service though.

Kinesis frames only come with a 3 year warranty, so i’d not buy another on that basis. I have a Tripster and its worrying that some are failing after 2-3 years (albeit for high mileage users).

Van Nicholas have an excellent lifetime warranty, but their designs are a bit limited at times (sorry Scotroutes 😉 ).

MoreCashThanDash

See if Spa Cycles have anything to tempt you – think they may be connected to Sabbath these days?

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

I have had a VN Euros for years (nice curly stays and all that, really really comfy on very long rides). My only issue later on was the limited tyre width choices (upto 25mm) which was understandable as it was an older geo frame. My brother rides it now, otherwise I would be riding it for the rest of my days. Good value and the best bike I have ever owned.

I love the look of the Seven Evergreens!

Whatever you buy, its a lovely smooth material for road, or beaten path.

BadlyWiredDog

Abd yet they still crack…

That’s titanium frames for you. My Setavento cracked too. What I’m saying is that ime they honour the warranty and their customer service is excellent.

hooja
    Free Member

Thanks again all
    I’m usually happy with second hand bikes as it pushes boutique into my price range but for a titanium road frame I have been thinking shop bought box fresh, for the warranty. Sounds like the sensible thing
    I was looking for frame only to swap all the parts onto but there are some ace deals around on full bikes, particularly the sabbath aspire. No idea how much my condor is worth though to offset it!

Andy

Warranty and tyre clearance two things to look for. The Camino Ti looks like a great, versatile option…

hooja
    Free Member

I nearly bought a sonder Camino for different reasons, they are very nice for the price!
    I have a Fargo for drop bar off road duties, so I’m after a racier bike as it will purely be for fast road.

paule
    Free Member

I’ve got an omega radius ti frame and it’s lovely. Noticably smoother to ride than pretty much any other road bike I’ve tried. Not sure what they’re called now, think they became enigma.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Affordable, pretty, lively, fun Titanium road frames?’ is closed to new replies.