Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • afan/glyncorrwg w2 route help and advice please
  • jimithenomad
    Free Member

Myself and a few mates are doing a small welsh roadtrip this weekend and when we hit afan on sunday morning i was wondering about the w2 route i have heard a little about. We wanted to ride the old penhydd trail too as it has been a while since we rode that. Which centre should we start at to incorporate this, does the route come back to the start point or finish at the other centre? Does it include all the singletrack descents from the wall and whites level? Is the trail waymaked?
    Any help welcome, please!

petefromearth

if you're feeling fit you can park at glyncorrwg, then ride w2 and penhydd in one shot

when you reach the bottom of the Wall descent, ride to the visitors centre (about 5 mins) where penhydd starts and ends. after than you can ride back up The Wall, down the Whites Level descent and finish off back at glyncorrwg

personally i don't like The Wall (one half of W2) – nasty climb and the descent is not as good as the other trails. Whites Level and Penhydd are really good though

colin@rush
    Free Member

the best centre if you want to do penhydd too would be afan argoed not glyncorrwg though I'm actually not sure if W2 is signposted from there. I presume it is but being local I never look at the signs

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    petefromearth

sorry didn't really answer your questions!
    yep they are all waymarked

White's Level, July trail and Skyline all start from Glyncorrwg
    Penhydd and The Wall start from the Afan Forest centre thing

W2 combines White's Level and The Wall via a few km of undulating fireroad. it's one big loop that you can start/finish from either carpark

jimithenomad
    Free Member

petefromearth, would the ride then start on the usuall whites/skyline climb, or do you go to the wall first via the high level route from glyncorrwg?

jimithenomad
    Free Member

colin@rush, by starting at afan ,would that mean riding penhydd first then going to the wall via the drop down the valley and across the bridge over the river and up the other side of the valley from penhydd?

valleydaddy
    Free Member

get Penhydd in as it's closed as of Monday for tree felling!!

Have fun, you'll love it :mrgreen:

petefromearth

park at glyncorrwg, go up the white's level climb

at the top it branches off over to the next valley for The Wall (all signed)

then ride down wall
    do penhydd if you want
    back up wall (not fun)
    ride down whites back to glyncorrwg carpark
    jetwash to your heart's content
    scran down some lasagne in the excellent cafe

you'll have a good day 🙂

jimithenomad
    Free Member

that sounds like a plan, thanks. I only hope the legs and lungs hold out after the saturday will be spent at coed trallwm and brechfa!!!

krag
    Free Member

As above, Penhydd is closed from next week so make sure you ride it!!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘afan/glyncorrwg w2 route help and advice please’ is closed to new replies.