Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 94 total)
  • Afan/FoD STWers day out ?
  • weeksy

Whichever suits the most people really I guess.

I’m easy and can sort either.

Bedds
    Free Member

I’d like to make this too, agree with Alex, a run down some of the Staunton trails would be good, dead end down per chance? 🙂

I’ll keep an eye on this 🙂

qwerty
    Free Member

I think that’s me buggered, wifes just informed me she’s on a spa weekend then, so I’m on kiddie care. Pants.

wilko1999
    Free Member

Yeah I guess 4 hours was an estimate based on me doing it alone. Could maybe do 2/3rds of that loop I described before lunch, then anyone wanting to head back can go along cycle track back to PBA, anyone up for more can go via tramway, dr johns and maybe the alien trail?

Or if someone wants to lead a Staunton/Yat etc ride instead I’m good with that, awesome stuff that way too 🙂

v666ern
    Free Member

Apprehensive on heading out that way, happy to head that way if the designated locals ^^^ say its ok, just thought it wasnt ‘public’

mattsccm
    Free Member

Most of that isn’t approved by the FC but that’s not something people bother about round here.

rOcKeTdOg

Is it decided on Sat or Sun yet? Or are we staying out that long it starts Saturday & ends Sunday?

Oh & is there anywhere that does better cake than PBA on route?

weeksy

Lets have it as a list then

I’m Sat or Sun. I’d lean slightly towards Sun if pressed, but it’s not a deal breaker.

We’re only having 1 cake stop ? 🙁

wilko1999
    Free Member

At this point, either works for me, but I would prefer Sunday I guess

The cafe at Dean Forest Cycles has half-decent cake, fully-decent ice-cream and pretty good toasties. There’s also the Fountain Inn at Parkend for a pub lunch option for those that fancied it.

v666ern
    Free Member

Oh & is there anywhere that does better cake than PBA on route?

you should really check out RD’s instagram feed, this man KNOWS good cake! You might have to bring some with you chap.

So FOD locals , mboy et al i know 4/5 tracks at staunton, but havent ridden there from PABA. Which day suits you and can you sort a loop?

weeksy

What’s Instagram ? what’s RD ?

mboy
    Free Member

Or are we staying out that long it starts Saturday & ends Sunday?

Hell yeah! Now that would be fun… :wink :

In all seriousness, don’t let me be the one to put a handbrake on proceedings, but Saturdays are generally a no go for me. Sundays I can fill my boots!

@ psling, be good to ride with you again mate… To be fair I’ve only learnt the names (all unofficial of course) of these trails since using Strava. Other than Dowies, until I first logged on to Strava it was just “up that bit” and “turn right there” and a “hidden left there so don’t go too fast” etc…

weeksy

OK, lets go with Sunday then, that’s several preferences for Sunday up to now…

Sunday 19th Oct.

9.30am for a 10am start ?

mboy
    Free Member

So FOD locals , mboy et al i know 4/5 tracks at staunton, but havent ridden there from PABA. Which day suits you and can you sort a loop?

Not familiar with Staunton myself. Have probably ridden there a number of times over the years, but all pre-Garmin/Strava sadly…

Loop wise, I’m happy to delegate to someone else, but if it falls back to me, I’ve got a very good 20-25 mile loop (can be altered to include/exclude Shutcastle and an extra Dowies run based on time and/or people’s exhaustion) that is pretty robust.

But then again, I’m excited at the prospect of somebody who knows the FoD a lot better than I do showing me some new/old trails that I’m not familiar with! 🙂

wilko1999
    Free Member

Happy to guide a Parkend based loop, starting PBA, the one I described on the last page of the thread. Mapped it out quickly this morning and its approx 33 miles. We could do about 20 miles of it pre-lunch, then there’s the option of heading back to PBA, or anyone feeling like they want more to do the extra 13 or so, incorporating tramway, Dr Johns, alien trail, y2k etc.

v666ern
    Free Member

weeksy – looks like you may need another weekend so you can do Monmouth way and another for Dowies 😀

sideshow
    Free Member

I might be up for this, keen for a guided loop around parkend.

rOcKeTdOg

10am better for the NWAlps contingent

I want local cake though not BYO!

Oh & rigid forked HT or FS for this?

wilko1999
    Free Member

I’d say FS. I’m sure you could ride your rigid down the planned trails (I wouldn’t want to mind for the record, I’m an FS wuss all the way), but I reckon you’ll enjoy them a fair bit more on an FS.

weeksy

If this ride is Rigid friendly then someone needs to be having a word with the route planner.

OK, so I don’t want 10′ gap jumps… but I’d like a little bumpy stuff please 🙂

rOcKeTdOg

Right-o I’ll dust the FSer off

Although, saying that it needs FS kinda makes me inclined to use the rigid just because….anyone prepared to carry my broken body from the forest? Me & the FoD have a history when it comes to concussions

v666ern
    Free Member

OK, so I don’t want 10′ gap jumps… but I’d like a little bumpy stuff please

are you sure, we have some if you change your mind…for the record i havent and wouldnt…saw some lads last week who’d all cleared it but the last guy hit the stump on the run out…fine but shaken! 🙂 😯

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/z3otkhkjcjz5b19/AAAqhjMxdtMe7gewN31b9lcia?dl=0

wilko1999
    Free Member

My point was really that you can ride a rigid down anything with enough skill. If you want lumps, bumps, kickers, jumps, gaps, drops, steep bits, roots, chutes, berms, flat corners, off-camber, loam, loose, hardpack etc (EDIT and families of wild boar) this ride will be for you. Just bring whatever bike you’re most comfortable with for a days mountain biking 😀

rOcKeTdOg

My point was really that you can ride a rigid down anything with enough skill.

Now you’ve ruined it

wilko1999
    Free Member

^^^ 😀

Alex

Nic from the local bike shop rode that gap. I’ve ridden up to it 😉

Bedds
    Free Member

But Al, Nic has demonstrated a few times that he is mental 😉

What do you reckon fella, think we could get Matt in on this for a decent loop?

drjohn
    Free Member

BTW – if you can’t wait and want to race in FoD this weekend (while it is dry!) enter the Enduro (plug plug)
    http://www.fodmbe.org.uk/dean_enduro_mtb.php

v666ern
    Free Member

Alex, would you mind posting up your Thursday ride, its what i was thinking of with a bit of shutcastle added in…at least we’ve got a discussion point to work from

no probs if not, or if anyone else wants to offer up a map they’d be happy to guide

afrothunder88

Can I join in please? Heard good things about the FOD but only ever rode the trail centre stuff along with a few of the DH runs.

weeksy

Course you can mate. Open to all. 🙂

Alex

Mark – there’s a couple of bits on that route that aren’t entirely legit, but feel free to use it as a base. Drop me a mail to explain…. FoD was superb yesterday, perfect conditions. Obviously it’s been lamping it down every since 😉

weeksy

Well after all that messing and a long thread, I can’t even make my own day out !
    Apparently we’ve got a Christening to attend.

Please carry on without me lads.

v666ern
    Free Member

Well after all that messing and a long thread, I can’t even make my own day out !

oh dear 😆

Im still up for this, Mboy do you want to lead?

mboy
    Free Member

Apparently we’ve got a Christening to attend.
    Please carry on without me lads.

Brilliant!

Oh well…

Just to reiterate, people definitely want to ride this on Sunday 19th Oct? I’m more than happy to lead in the absence of anyone that knows the local area better than I do, but I’d be thrilled to bits if someone with vastly more knowledge of the trails than me would like to show us around… 🙂

v666ern
    Free Member

Sunday 19th Oct.

9.30am for a 10am start – Lets meet outside the cafe at Pedal a bike away. Ill be the chimp with stickers on my helmet and the all black cube stereo (without any stickers).

Can we have a roll call so we know whose coming and on what bike – i know what rocketdog looks like (beardy) but id rather not have to wear a carnation! 😳

Im happy to guide a ride over to dowies and back ~ 15-20 miles if anyone else wants to guide a longer route please state now as we’ve lost our leader! 🙄

v666ern
    Free Member

Can we have a roll call

well thats gone well…have a good ride everyone – catch you again

weeksy

sorry mate 🙁

v666ern
    Free Member

No problem with me matey, i’ve got the day booked so i shall be enjoying the rainy local trails!

Let me know when you get a free day and you can come down again 8)

johnny

Not intended as a thread hijack, as I can’t make the 19th, but I’d be up for being guided around the FOD sometime. Can anyone do weekdays? I’m free on the 23rd and 24th Oct?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘Afan/FoD STWers day out ?’ is closed to new replies.