Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Afan – which trail would you do…?
  • Bushwacked
    Free Member

OK, I’m off to Afan for the first time on Friday and taking my wife along who probably only has the fitness for either the Wall or Penhydd not both (as much as I hope).

Out of the two which would you do and why?

Which also is going to be more confidence insipring for her?

djglover
    Free Member

Start at Glyncorrwg and do most of Whytres then skirt over to do the wall descent and get the wife to pick up up at Afan Argoed 😈

Spud

NOT the bloody Skyline!!

mboy
    Free Member

White’s Level is VERY technical, so would advise against it for someone not so confident on a bike yet. It is an awesome trail though.

From what I remember of The Wall and Penhydd, both are easier, though still quite a bit of climbing. Would say Penydd was the “easiest”, I remember the Wall being more interesting though.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Confidence inspiring? Do the Penhydd.

Then buy her a nice lunch at the Drop Off at Glycorrwg (have the Welsh Rarebit!) and see how she likes July.

July is the shortcut of the Skyline. It takes in the whole climb (which is a really good one) then one of the best DH sections in Wales.

Then, to cap it off, you’re back at the Drop Off for tea and cakes before heading home for some top level boffage. 😉

nickc

If it’s a choice of Penhydd or Wall then Penhydd.

retro83
    Free Member

Penhydd is a nice trail, personally didn’t find White’s Level any more technical (aside from the black run which is good fun!). I found The Wall a bit boring, the fireroad at the start seemed to go on forever.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Cheers guys – she’s quite good on a bike and want her to get most out of the day so Penhydd it is.

Will take her for lunch and see if she fancies doing the Wall afterwards.

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

If I were you, I’d do Pennhydd then nip over to Glycorrwg (10min drive) for lunch – MUCH MUCH nicer food and atmosphere – and if she’d up for it do White’s Level. Personally I much prefer to the wall as it has much less fire road and the climb is more interesting. The descent is great fun too and not as loose as the wall, so if you’re wife’s like me she’ll prefer that. (Up to you, whether you do the Energy trail though!)

forge197
    Free Member

I’d say Penhydd, it works slow and fast so everyone gains and there is suitable payback for the climbs of which there are only two noteables (IMHO) The initial climb and the one after Frog Corner, the rest are short and not too bad.

If you are doing both I’d do the Wall then Penhydd so you end on a high, although the end of the Wall trail is great, the ride back to the trail centre is far from and not a great memory to take back if you are trying to get someone into the sport.

As already mentioned get down the Drop Off Cafe for Lunch it’s probably the best trail centre food stop in the country. Personally I like there pizza’s but it’s all good.

trailmonkey

I’m always quite confused by these threads. With the exception of 100m of the graveyard, I’d say the Wall is so much more beginner friendly than the Penhydd. I think it’s easy to take those Penhydd switchbacks for granted if you’ve got the ability to ride them. I did it as a technical newbie and found it pretty dificult. Factor in the side drop on some bits and I’d say that Penhydd is far more challenging than the Wall.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

She’s not a beginner – just doesn’t want full on DH descents

trailmonkey

None of the trails at Afan/Glyncwrrg have full on DH descents. She should be fine on any of them in that case 😀

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Afan – which trail would you do…?’ is closed to new replies.