• This topic has 20 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by DT78.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Afan. which are the best trails please?
  • walla24
    Free Member

as in which are the knarliest/most fun/most technical…yet not a million miles long?
    i have time to do one or 2 trails only while im down!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Time to do one or two?

Park at Glyncorrwg;
    Ride Whites Level
    You must then eat Welsh Rarebit at the Dropoff. It's THE LAW!
    Ride July (This is a shortcut of Skyline. At the end of Grenada, turn right down the hill. There is an even shorter loop if you're lazy)

saxabar
    Free Member

None are particularly gnarly but Whites Level and The Wall have the more full-on descents if taken at speed. Personally, particularly when conditions are dry, my favourite still has to be Penhydd.

blackchrome
    Free Member

what he said

retro83
    Free Member

saxabar is spot on 🙂

toby1

The only thing that's overly long is the full skyline, apart from that it's hard not to enjoy yourself on any of the trails.

Paceman
    Free Member

I agree… do Whytes & Penhydd 😀

daveh
    Free Member

Just leaving an easy to find mark to get back to this thread. 🙂

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

whytes is the staple, with a black loop, boardwalk stuff etc. it's all about how fast you go down it to be honest. almost anyone could ride most of the trails there, but it does get more fun the faster you ride….until you come flying off and hurting yourself. 🙁

Carpediem
    Free Member

Reply to: jimbobrighton – Member
    whytes is the staple, with a black loop, boardwalk stuff etc. it's all about how fast you go down it to be honest. almost anyone could ride most of the trails there, but it does get more fun the faster you ride…

Unless your back brake fails completely as mine did yesterday!!!

chakaping
    Free Member

There are now signs to do Whites and The Wall in one big loop, crossing over at the top.

Makes a really good ride, and you can still stop in at the visitor centre halfway round if you get peckish.

Paceman
    Free Member

Chakaping

Follow W2 signs for that loop. If you start at Afan you'll get the Drop-Off Cafe as your half way lunch stop 😀

walla24
    Free Member

thats super cheers guys

GaryLake
    Free Member

+1 for W2

Badgerpoo
    Free Member

W2 is ace, I rate the Wall final descent as the best downhill there tbh.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I preferred Penhydd, as I felt it was a bit more run in and had some character, probably helped that it was bone dry. I felt the rest of the trails were a slightly inferior copy of Innerliethen. But that was based on one ride of each of the trails. Is the July shortcut the bit that resembles a dry river bed, 'cause that bit was fun.

jim29
    Free Member

+1 for Penhydd

I find the fire road climb to the top of The Wall horrible!
    Does W2 cut that off?

AndyRT
    Free Member

nope, you do it near the end of the ride if you start at Whites end.

It's a laugh to add the Penhydd to this in the middle, so do start of whites, end of wall, all of Penhydd, start of Wall, end of Whites

and breathe….

mrben100
    Free Member

Personally I'm a 'The Wall' fan, the last 2 sections – Graveyard and Zigzags are enough to make me take the 5 hour drive from east anglia alone.

Then Whytes Level, so probably best W2 as said above.

For some reason I can't get on with Penhydd?

Of course each to their own. 🙂

carlphillips
    Free Member

when we go we do whytes level then july which imo gives best smiles for miles!!
    then go down and do the penhydd its ace at speed.

the wall sucks imo

DT78
    Free Member

I travel up to afan pretty regularly – vast majority of the time I will do Pen followed by whites. Not actually tried W2, I'd heard it was the worst of both trails from mates so hadn't bothered. On the list for 2010 then!

I've had my worst crashes on pen – don't know why as it's the least full on of the trails, I just get carried away with the nice sandy switchbacks. The one and only time I've 'high-sided' on a mountain bike!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Afan. which are the best trails please?’ is closed to new replies.