Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • afan, what trail
  • jedi

if you only ride one?

stevede
    Free Member

Whites (with energy section). Too much dull fireroad on the climbs to make the wall my number one.

peteimpreza

Whites

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    lesinge
    Free Member

Whites defo

j_me
    Free Member

Whites

jedi

what about that w2 trail?

peteimpreza

Thats two joined together. Whites and the Wall.

jedi

ah 🙂

mrmo
    Free Member

skyline,

BlobOnAStick

I’ve only ridden it once but the Penhydd trail left a lasting impression on me – I think it’s down to the fact that it pre-dates the ‘cut and paste’ approach to trailbuilding that has become popular.

Rickos
    Free Member

Penhydd is closed at the moment. W2 is good but I split it with lunch at the Drop Off, so if you only have a couple of hours then Whites is best, but include a loop of the Black run too and then climb back up the fire road to carry on the rest of the loop. July (short Skyline) is good too, but Whites is ace for the flow.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Whytes (incl. “black” section), followed by July.

Go easy on lunch at Drop Off – big portions will make the sheep-track climb an unpleasant experience!

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

W2 would be my choice definitely.
    haven’t tried july although from what i’ve heard its good.

whites climb – great
    whites black section – alright
    whites energy section – pretty good
    whites final descent – bit boring i feel

wall climb – absolutely rubbish
    wall descent – way too much fun

I just don’t find whites final descent much fun. definitely not compared to the wall descent anyway, the speed and flow of it out does whites easily. if you could replace the whites final descent with the wall final descent that would be truly fantastic.

backhander
    Free Member

Whites final decent is a bit more tech than zig zags (scalextrix like). Both great though. Neither are perfect (what is?) boring climbs on the wall, crappy boardwalk on whites. Overall whites is better and more challenging than the wall IMO.
    W2 definately over any of skyline (inc july);fireroad downhills are unforgivable. Don’t miss out Cwmcarn if you’re going though.

Ambrose

I was there today, chewing the fat with the guys in the shop. Penhydd is still closed. Sections of Skyline also, and more to follow. I berlieve however, once reopened they will be different to before with the rebuilds funded by the Turbine company, who have caused the closure in the first place.

White’s is open and it’s usual uber-fun self, likewise the Wall.

Drop-Off Cafe is closed for a few weeks. Closest ‘food’ is to be had at the Afan Argoed Centre. Closest decent food is to be had somewhere else.

oxforddan
    Free Member

Carry on to brechfa – a lot more fun for a skilled rider!

float
    Free Member

+potato for brechfa, but if youre insistent on afan then do W2. takes the best (and worst) from both trails.

Onzadog
    Free Member

And if you do get as far as brechfa, the blue/green is actually way better than the black.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

“skyline (inc july);fireroad downhills are unforgivable”

Oh come on it’s just a section before the turbines, nothing to cry about.

toys19
    Free Member

Do whytes, great fun, we normally repeat the black 4 or 5 times then have a break and do the rest. I dunno what anyone means about the final decent being boring, it’s one of my fave bits. Loads of little rock drops and jumps, mucho laughs.

davesmate
    Free Member

Whyte’s is the best trail there (IMO) but W2 gives you more riding and the best of both worlds. I reccomend starting from Glyncorrwg as you get the whyte’s ascent out of the way 1st. There’s an option for snacks and a brew at Bryn Bettws Lodge just before the zig zags descent, saves you going out of the way to get to Afan Forest Centre. Also, if you’ve got a bit of post ride time to kill, there’s a superb curry house in Port Talbot called Agni.

LoCo
    Free Member

Whytes is the one you may want to check this out too as it’s a bit more up your street too!

http://www.brynbettws.com/reviews/ Phil Saxena designed 4 cross track, just up the road from Afan.

jedi

whytes it is then beer 🙂

Kev79
    Free Member

I’d be tempted to do the climb on whytes, then do the final decent of skyline and then climb back up whytes to do the full loop.

johnikgriff
    Free Member

Whytes all day long, great trail.

Didn’t really think much of the Wall, but in my defence it was a fantastic day we rode the Whytes and pissed down the day after when we did the wall.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

oxforddan – Member
    Carry on to brechfa – a lot more fun for a skilled rider!

Like you’d know!

I reckon Kev79 might’ve just nailed it. Whole of skyline is a bit boring but the July trail is the best thing there.

Would be interested to know what you thought of the energy section of whites though Jedi. When are you thinking of heading over there?

ronjeremy
    Free Member

Start at Afan Lodge, little bit of a singletrack climb up to the wall, follow the trail until the end of windy point, then a cheeky descent past Bryn Bettws to meet the climb up to The Mast followed by the farside descent, and then back to the lodge for one of their large breakfasts and a post ride beer!!

jedi

thursday 🙂 7 of us. it’ll be a ride/ramble 🙂

ronjeremy
    Free Member

ooh Thursday…. I may be free, so if i’m around i may well look out for ya’ll

jedi

you wont miss us, all shapes/size and fitness. walking/riding up but always laughing

ronjeremy
    Free Member

all shapes and sizes you say, i would probably fit in well, so may well aim to ride Afan* thursday then, I might even bring trail snacks!!

*I live about 10/15 minutes away

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

ahhh bawls, I’m going to be up there at the weekend.

Edit – based on how you describe the ride… do Whites.

might be a bit late now but w2, if you have the time best of both worlds!

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘afan, what trail’ is closed to new replies.