• This topic has 64 replies, 30 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by gbss.
Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • Afan – trail diversions?
  • matthewspb
    Free Member

Maybe I’m being obtuse, but I don’t read the trail update (link above) as saying that the White’s Level climb will be closed for good. If it’s closed for felling, doesn’t that mean it will be a temporary closure (albeit no doubt a lengthy ‘temporary’ closure)? Or am I missing something?

*waiting for someone to point out the obvious bit I’ve missed*

Oh and the suggestion that only 1,000 people rode Skyline last year just feels plain wrong.

wrecker
    Free Member

Nobody is interested in longer routes such as Skyline.

I don’t think this is true. I bet a lot of people rode W2 last year. I rode it a a fair few times, never rode skyline though.
    Skyline is a bit of a marmite trail; some love it as it feels a bit more wild and others hate it because there’s a large amount of fireroad.
    A new 10-15 mile trail like whites/wall would be absolutely brilliant and could give Afan a new lease of life (which is much needed). As rocky as you can please chaps!

davidjey
    Free Member

There’s still tons of good riding here – the annoying thing is the diversions are often pretty ill-thought out when more interesting alternatives exist. So people turn up and follow the signs thinking WTF – I’m sure plenty of people starting Y Wal from the Afan Valley car park this month have cursed the 5 miles of flat tarmac that currently gets you to the first climb (that diversion should be gone soon mind).

The signage on the ground is not too bad, and even gives some info on what’s going on/why the closures are necessary/how long they are going on. What is desperately needed, as many others have said here, is Forestry/Cognation to communicate that properly on the web – that would be a very good use of the fancy new Cognation website.

To conclude, don’t think its not worth coming, but do expect some disruption over the winter – but I wouldn’t have to tell you this if a bit more thought went into communication from those reponsible…

philwarren11
    Free Member

I bet that 1000 people was done on a survey from the car park in Glyncorwg or something, you have to include people who park elsewhere like along with people like me who ride it localy by joing it in different areas.

I think people who think its not worth it are mad. Its still an awesome place to ride.

That diversion on the wall is gone from today apparently along with 373. So basically the wall is fully open.

Totally agree with above, one place for the latest info is badly needed, right now i use cognation, MBWales, Afan Forest park websites along with their facebook and twitter accounts, all have different info at different times. Rubbish.

Mbnut
    Free Member

Ok so it looks like things are changing at Afan, maybe for the better in the long run… maybe not.

I will go on my roadtrip next week if for no other reason than to ride the climb on Whites for the last time and to support the locals who have always made me welcome.

RIP Afan of old… long live Afan

Paceman
    Free Member

Got a weekend planned there in November, still going whatever, I love Afan.

dadster21
    Free Member

Afan is definitely still worth a visit – I did 60 miles over 1.5 days on different trails. Got to be better than most in terms of length and variety even if there are parts that are shut.

flap_jack
    Free Member

Me and the big group I did the Skyline with weren’t counted last year. They probably asked on one day and extrapolated the result. Grr.

Also, it sounds like it’s about to be ‘Coed-y-Brenined’, i.e. totally ruined. Following the same programme, i.e. shut the good cafe, close off best bits, open a new trail that’s bermed asphalt. Double Grr.

Nipper99
    Free Member

Problem with Afan and other places is that there isn’t any sort of user group to give feed back / liase as there used to be.

Nipper99
    Free Member

Skyline ridable today – no sections cordened off. Some largish new forest tracks gone in advance of large scale felling.

DT78
    Free Member

Right so we went to afan for a day trip, little bit of feedback for others wondering…

A large section of skyline is closed, most of the eastern loop, ignore the diversion signs until you get to a nice big sign saying diversion starts here, then follow little black squares! You are then sent down a long dual track loose rocky descent which is dull and looses a lot of height fast. Old skyline descent is still there and riding well. Picked up 44th on strava, not bad on an anthem. Whites climb has a horrible muddy bit in between the two single track sections which was only passable by walking. Lot of surface water, most puddles okay apart from one on Granada where I had an otb as it was an exact match for my wheel..

Whites level has diversions you get sent up the big fire road climb by the end of the black section and finish on skyline descent.

A good day out, 30 miles, 3800ft climbing, 4 hours ride time 5 hours elapsed.

However, definitely not enough way marked riding there any more for a weekend or interesting enough for me to want to go back there again until the diversions are removed. Really sad to see how much of a shadow it is of its former self, especially as the areas infrastructure is vastly improved.

Might be worth as a base for a long weekend when combined with Brecfa and Cwmcarn.

bentudder

Another note – went there a few weekends ago with a bunch of friends in a mixed-ability group and had a great time. There’s still a ton of good riding there – you just need to (gasp!) get the maps out and do a bit of planning around the diversions and closures to make up your own loop.

As said above, it’s worth going and spending a little more time making up your own route to support the locals, who are really feeling the impact this tree fungus is having on their income at the moment.

redx

Has anyone ridden the Blue route at Afan? And if so, how doea it compare to the Penhydd? Looking for a route to take a novice on and would have probably used the Penhydd a few years ago, but am now unsure. May take him to Cwmcarn but go up the fire road instead of the usual climb…..

Cheers

DT78
    Free Member

Personally I would take them to the new fod track.

Painey
    Free Member

Is the main climb on Whites closing for good? I used to quite look forward to it.

ryanctj
    Free Member

The blue loop at Afan is only 2km long and all machine gravelled so another vote for the FoD here. Either that or do Gower/Beacons.

MrAgreeable

We did Skyline this weekend too. With the diversion it’s almost exactly 20 miles long and the new section is a hoot, around a mile of mostly downhill along natural rocky double-track.

I’m not convinced by the new sections of trail so far (a muddy abomination on the White’s climb and that “intro section” of Y Wal with the concrete berms!) but if most of Skyline, White’s and Wall stay how they are it’ll have more than enough fun riding for a weekend.

DT78
    Free Member

Funny how people see things different I felt the dual track descent was rubbish when you balance the climb, with the speed, risk and fun of the descent. Compare that run to the proper skyline descent, no contest.

Awesome pic

gbss
    Free Member

I love the white’s climb, will be sad if that goes. Though, goodwood and darkside were shut last time we were there, but the forestry guys said we could still ride them anyway, was great, apart from some winch cables across the trail, but they had hazard signs up to warn riders.

It was a few months ago I was last there though. Need to get back soon.

sonofapitch
    Free Member

W2 tomorrow starting at the Wal ?
    What will I find?
    Diversion after Energy to the Skyline decent.

MrAgreeable

Expect some rather patchy signage, but yes, basically after Energy it seems like you do a long grindy climb, arrive at the start of the Whites Level black, then continue up the fire road to the start of the last bit of Skyline. Which is awesome.

dadster21
    Free Member

If it wasn’t for the grind up past the black run – the combination of Whites and Darkwood/Jetlag is brilliant…..

ryanctj
    Free Member

Rode The Wall yesterday, it’s running well. Only 373 closed, diversion on fireroad takes you to Graveyard. Best trail at Afan at the moment.

philwarren11
    Free Member

I dont get it, some people are actually riding 373 according to strava and nothing on the Afan forest website says its closed.

gbss
    Free Member

I rode every single trail there on tuesday, did W2, the initial climb from glyncorrwg was open, no signs saying otherwise, all of whites and the wall were open, goodwood had a sign saying it was closed, but i rode it anyway, cos the website said it was open, and i met 2 guys down there clearing the trail, they said it’s fine to ride goodwood and darkside.

They need to get their website/notices up to date!

Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Afan – trail diversions?’ is closed to new replies.