Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Afan tomorrow – Where to start W2 trail?
  • skybluestu
    Free Member

Thinking of going up to Afan tomorrow for the first time and doing W2. Which is the best start point?

diawl2
    Free Member

I wouldn’t bother. Did it a few weeks ago. Diversions in place which spoil the flow and the signage is rubbish. I’d drive another half an hour and go to Brechfa instead.

skybluestu
    Free Member

Would that be the same for Skyline as well? How much is diverted and onto what…just fire road?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    creamegg
    Free Member

If I was you I’d consider going to Bike Park Wales instead if you haven’t already been.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’d drive another half an hour and go to Brechfa instead.

^^This^^

poonprice
    Free Member

I went to Afan last Friday and did The Wal, signage was missing in places and they had those annoying V shaped bike gates at the start and finish of every section which ruined any sort of flow round the trail.

I can understand them before entering back onto fire road but why at the start when leaving fire road. Is the rest of Afan like this, if so I won’t be going back anytime soon.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

why at the start when leaving fire road.

Top stop asshats on MX bikes ruining the trails. Never seen the gates as a problem, myself.

greeble
    Free Member

I’d drive another half an hour and go to Brechfa instead.

^^This^^

or save yourself an hour and drive to bpw?

skybluestu
    Free Member

BPW looks like a load of very short runs. Can you put them all together easily as was after a good 4-5 hr ride out?

greeble
    Free Member

BPW looks like a load of very short runs. Can you put them all together easily as was after a good 4-5 hr ride out?

hell yes!

ride up to the top, down
    up, down
    up, down
    up, down

repeat until you can’t pedal no more…
    there’s plenty to keep you occupied.

pickle
    Free Member

no one wants to tell him where to start then? LOL

greeble
    Free Member

start in the little carpark at the end of the wall trail. stop for lunch in the cafe at glyncorrwg. Then ride back along the trail to the carpark.
    Alot of the trees have gone loads of diversions. have fun

professorfaceplant
    Free Member

Like Greeble said

defintiley start at Bryn Argoed
    half time lunch at glyncorrwg

although i’d completly miss whites level out and just do the Wall, then you can try out the Afan bike park on the way back,

skybluestu
    Free Member

Cheers all, decisions decisions!

variflex
    Free Member

Just got back from a weekend in Afan.
    FANTASTIC. Great trails, great weather, great food and beer.
    Although a diversion was in place it didnt make much difference and the lovely dry and fast trails were great fun. Skills park is good fun too after a cuppa at the cafe half way down the Wall.

V shaped gates were not a problem, and as someone above said, they are to stop motorbikes ploughing up the trails.

Afan lodge is comfy, good food and beer and designed around bikers. Location was perfect too.

tonyg2003

Glad you liked W2W. Some of the best sections are missing and the signage isn’t brilliant although it’s still a great XC trail.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Afan tomorrow – Where to start W2 trail?’ is closed to new replies.