Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Afan tomorrow. What's worth riding? What's not?
  • michaelmcc
    Free Member

Haven’t ridden there in about 7 years. What state are all the trails in these days. Hoping to do about 4 hours or so. Cheers!

deadkenny
    Free Member

Whites ending has no trees and lost its charm, the black option seems a lot less black than it was. Blade is new. The full loop of Skyline I think is no more? (never did it anyway). Penhydd is finally back!

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Bugger. I really liked Skyline. Can anyone confirm it’s gone?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

W2 with cake and view stops.

Blade is, IMHO, shit. Every time it looks like it’s getting a bit of flow going, it stops. Dull, weak trail design to assuage the needs of the wind farm.

Haven’t ridden the new Penhydd yet, but W2 is like a greatest hits of Afan, IMO. I prefer the climb out of Glyncorrwg with fresh legs (Wall climb is easier after lunch!) and there are options of final descent back to Glyncorrwg, which makes it my preferred start/finish.

myti
    Free Member

I absolutely loved blade. Thought penhydd was a bit rubbish!

jam1e
    Free Member

Yep, Skyline has gone due to a wind farm being built. Apparently if you know where you’re going, the trails are still there.

Instead there is Blade which is good and has a bit of everything. Some of Skyline is still available in the Skyline loop. Information and map in the link below:

http://www.afanforestpark.co.uk/default.aspx?page=11333

michaelmcc
    Free Member

So it looks like you can ride Blade and ad on part of the old Skyline if you like.. going by that link! Anyone know what length those two put together would be? Can’t see any distance for that on there. Cheers.

ferrals
    Free Member

My current favourite is the wall, I tend to link do the wall followed by penhydd or vice versa, takes about 2hrs to do both
    If I’ve got all day i tend to drive to glyncorrwg, do blade or whites, then have a bacon gap in the cafe and then do the wall and penhydd after.

jam1e
    Free Member

Yeah, Blade is 24 km but you miss out quite a a few km if you go off on the Skyline loop. At a very rough guess I reckon Blade + Skyline loop would be about 40-45km. Let me know if you find out!

michaelmcc
    Free Member

So is there parking and bike wash up in Glyncorrwg or do I need to park in Afan?

jam1e
    Free Member

Yeah, Glyncorrwg is a separate center to Afan and has everything there – car park, jet wash, shop and cafe

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Cool beans.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Afan tomorrow. What's worth riding? What's not?’ is closed to new replies.