Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Afan Night Riding – Penhydd/Blue Scar
  • gribble
    Free Member

Hi,

In South Wales again next week for work and will be very close to Afan. Last time I got out for a ride when staying locally, I rode Y Wall from the car park at Station Road, other side of the bridge (summer time).

Am going to have to do a night ride this time (and am on my own). Last time I was thinking about doing Y Wall on my own, but someone posted on here questioning my sanity. In the end I met up with a mate locally for a meal and didn’t get round to it.

Is Penhydd/Blue Scar a better bet for a night ride? Have not ridden there for 7 years or so. I ride locally at night solo plenty, which obviously carries an element of risk.

I presume the sign posting is pretty easy to follow at night as well?

ndthornton
    Free Member

which obviously carries an element of risk

So does getting out of bed

Go for it – tell some where your going and carry a mobile phone just in case.

But what risk of getting injured beyond your ability to get back alone…..pretty darn miniscule.

booktownman
    Free Member

Pretty sure I’ve finished a solo ride of The Wall in darkness, you’ll be adjusting your speed and commitment for dark and being alone – don’t see why you shouldn’t ride it if you want to. As above tell someone what time you’ll be back and where you’re going.

If you do opt for Penhydd, it’s at the easier end of red, lots of berms though so you might want lights on lid as well as bars.

Have a good one.

BTM

wookie
    Free Member

Ive heard the new Penhydd is haunted by the remnants of the old trail and is too scary to ride at night on your own.

gribble
    Free Member

Thanks both. Have got bar and helmet light now, which has made a massive difference.

I used to ride quite regularly at QE2 park, Surrey Hills, Swinley and locally at night and the combination of work commitment and being a parent has curbed my riding time, or maybe I have let it curb my mojo. And maybe the weather. I don’t mind the rain etc, as long as you can make progress. A lot of the local trails are very boggy.

Regardless of excuses, I want to be sort of sensible as now have a small child, so feel I should pretend to be responsible.

garethjordan
    Free Member

Afan Valley are doing Night Rides every Wednesday starting at Afan Bike Shed at 18:30hrs.
    I did a ride there the other week and think that Penhydd is fine at night. The Wall is ok as well – just ride appropriately.

From Afan Valley Bike Shed Facebook page on 3rd Jan:
    Right then guy’s it’s the start of the new year and it’s time to work off all that crimbo food you have been enjoying.
    We will be starting our night rides from next week Wednesday 8th leaving from the shop at 6:30 if your keen. If you would like to hire lights give me a shout and i will put some aside.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Afan-Valley-Bike-Shed/225133784249236?hc_location=timeline

rickon
    Free Member

Wow, who said you were crazy for riding the Afan at night?!

Take a mobile with you, Y Wall is not technical at all. You’ve got a chance of knocking yourself out, but day or night you could do that.

I’ve ridden Afan routes in the night loads of times, I remember riding W2 at about 11pm, after having started riding at 9am at Nant Yr Arian the same day. Now, that was an adventure 🙂

There’s no big drops or jumps, so as long as you’re not riding balls out, out of your depth, then you’ll be fine. (lots of double entendres in there for you).

Take your lights, and a backup light, and a decent bag of kit and spares, and something to keep you warm in case you do end up with a series of punctures.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

wookie – Member
    Ive heard the new Penhydd is haunted by the remnants of the old trail and is too scary to ride at night on your own.

Blame 27.5 for awakening the spirit trails

gribble
    Free Member

Thanks for the above. Can not do wed on, due to work commitments. However, will be having a crack on a 26 er, despite this not being a suitable size of wheel to ride across a car park any more, according to the gospel of biking press.

booktownman
    Free Member

[However, will be having a crack on a 26 er]

That changes everything, you’re going to die.

wonnyj
    Free Member

gribble
    Free Member

Thank you for the high level comedy above, of course it has made my day!

Rode Blue Scar in the pouring rain this evening, which was better than not riding at all. Was set to ride Penhydd, but the driving rain didn’t light my fire and I needed to go out and get some nuts. As Mr T was not available, I just did the short loop. Didn’t see any other riders out. Funny that.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Afan Night Riding – Penhydd/Blue Scar’ is closed to new replies.