• This topic has 12 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by Keva.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Afan next week, advice sort.
  • johnikgriff
    Free Member

Off to Afan next weekend for the first time. Staying at the campsite at Glncorrwg. We are hoping to get there around 1 on the Friday, ride that afternoon, all day Saturday and possibly Sunday morning if the we don’t go to mad in the pub on Saturday night. All pretty good riders, all have rode all of North Wales centers (our local trails) and most of the 7 Stanes. Any advice on which rides and when welcome.

z1ppy

my preferences would be whites-wall (W2 trail) friday PM, Skyline or maybe July (as Skyline for the most part is boring) & Penhydd saturday, then blast down to Cwm Carn on Sunday.

snaps
    Free Member

Hmmm
    Friday Penhydd + Wall or Wall + Whites (W2)
    Saturday Skyline lunch then whichever I’d not done the day before.
    Sunday repeat favorite.

thomthumb
    Free Member

the final descent of skyline is worth doing – you can do it by doing the fist climb of whites/ the wall and using the fireroad to get to it.

well worth it imo. as is cwmcarn

roach

Your going to be pretty beat after skyline if your thinking of doing anything after. No?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I think “middle” sized version of Skyline (August?) is worthwhile. The full version is OK but the longish forest road bits are not especially scenic. The final descent is a lot of fun if you like leaping off rocky steps.

runswithscissors

I’m with Thomthumb with the shortcut to ride Jetlag.

Goodgey
    Free Member

Make sure at the campsite that you have a dry pitch for your tent, we had pitches 29 & 30 and they were nearly under water when we arrived for the Easter Long weekend

Whites Level was my best trail of the weekend.

Penhydd and the Wall were great trails was a long cycle back from Afan to Glncorrwg after riding those 2 routes

jimster
    Free Member

Did Penhydd and Whites a couple of weeks back – Whites was a poor second IMO.

Rickos
    Free Member

Friday – July
    Saturday – W2 with a spot of lunch half way
    Sunday – Whites again but include the loop of the black route or Penhydd

W2 is a cracking route with great views on the link that goes past the windmills.

Mugboo

Penhydd
    The Wall
    Whites Level

Avoid Skyline apart from the last descent..

As always it depends on your kind of riding. Penhydd is nice enough as a starter, didn’t ride the wall but it sounds good, loved Whites as it feels like they have applied all the lessons learn’t from other builds and created a very varied trail with plenty of chances to get a little air..

Skyline just didn’t have enough features for the effort in my opinion, but some will love it.

Ambrose

Whites on Friday PM.

Early Sat AM- shuttle/drop a car off in the Afan Argoed carpark for later. Return to Glyncorrwg in another car.

July Sat AM (July is the shortest version of the Skyline. Turn right- downhill, at the first signed option to do so. A great rocky, wet blast to the road and then re-join Skyline for the final highlights- Peregrine Ridge and Jetlag)

Lunch on some of Tim’s Tortilla and chilli potatoes at the DropOff Cafe.

Sat PM. Ride Whites to Wall. then ride Penhydd AVOIDING FROG CORNER!!! Boggy mess. Then collect the car you dropped off before.

Sunday- you’ve done the best- so pick your favorite(s).

Skyline has a lot of fireroad- too much to be worthwhile in my book. But- not many people do it in its entirety so you will have it to yourselves much of the time, unlike the other rides

Keva
    Free Member

we normally arrive a bit later on Fri get pished first…

Sat Whites & wall then get pished…

Sun Skyline… drive home feeling rather knackered but happy complete kind of way.

Kev

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Afan next week, advice sort.’ is closed to new replies.