Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Afan in the snow
  • tinsy
    Free Member

Had a great weekend in Afan, only rode the Penhydd on the saturday with my 2 riding companions, one a MTB virgin and the other a trail centre virgin both rode some very testing conditions admirably..

Rik, looking pretty glad the climbing is over…

Compulsory bike in snow shot..

The first timers

Drac

Crikey not that much really, glad you got and didn’t listen to the scaremongers.

fbk
    Free Member

We rode Cwmcarn on Saturday and had an excellent time. Loads of snow but almost all rideable. Nice and quiet (plenty of walkers but very few bikers) and fantastic views in the sun too :o).

We had a few comedy stacks but at least the snow gave a relatively soft landing!

glenp
    Free Member

Happy you got round without mishap.

As for scaremongering – Drac and others; there is nothing wrong with stressing the need to be prepared and everything wrong with an irresponsible “mtfu”. Dickhead attitude. If you knew anything about what might happen if you were forced to sit in the snow for an hour or more you would change your tune. I was merely pointing out that I wouldn’t take novice riders quite so far in snowy conditions for multiple reasons. Just because it is quite possible (likely even) to get away without mishap, doesn’t mean it is a good idea.

Glad you guys had fun anyway.

molgrips
    Free Member

I too was at Cwmcarn on Saturday (I was in the white Passat and I spoke to a couple of guys in the carpark from Cwmbran who’d just finished) and it was ok – up to 6″ or so on the top. I had studded tyres on but I think it only helped a bit. The problem was falling off the hard-packed bit in the middle of the trail, rather than the snow itself. Only had one stack coming down the slope into the slalom section from where the FR bit starts. Good ride tho and a great view from the top.

But +1 for the comment about novices – I found it hard and I’ve been biking for 15 years.

tinsy
    Free Member

Just when we thought we were really tough riders pushing the boundaries, we came across 2 women and 3 kids looking for a nice hill to sledge down.

We were fully prepared 40+ blokes, with plenty of kit, I carried a spare everything of clothing (for use by all who needed it), tubes, tools, first aid kit.
    The newbies had what they needed plus a change of dry gloves, we were very aware of what we were taking on, we did have to convince the guy in Skyline Cycles that we were competent at being up a mountain (hired a bike), but its not like we were going through uncharted territory it is a trail centre and there were plenty of people out riding. The only potentially painful off the complete offroad novice had, was the last section, & that was in great condition and virtually snowless, the cause of his crash was being under pressure becuase a group of riders caught him up, & had not left enough time before following him into the section, I was a bit annoyed by this as I had stressed to them a few times on meeting them he was a novice, so why they tailed him into the trail I dont know. Still he came out of that with minor scuffing and a bit grubby.

I myself let them ride their own pace both up and down, rather than pressure them from behind I led, and stopped at regular intervals, sometimes twice per section, or after each technically challenging section to get us all together.

Drac

If you knew anything about what might happen if you were forced to sit in the snow for an hour or more you would change your tune

That’s right I have no idea about hypothermia, how to identify the stages and how to treat it.

singlespeedstu

That’s right I have no idea about hypothermia, how to identify the stages and how to treat it.

😆

Go on tell him what you do for a living.

stuartkendall
    Free Member

eskimos do alright 🙂

Sandwich

I see reasonably high-end clothing in the third picture. Looks like they were properly equipped. Old enough to know the score and probably hill walkers in a previous life. Very jealous!

Rich
    Free Member

singlespeedstu – Member

[:lol:]

Go on tell him what you do for a living.

Works in the freezer section at Tescos?

I know really…..;)

djglover
    Free Member

Drives a herse?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Afan in the snow’ is closed to new replies.