Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Afan & Cwmcarn
  • dazzydw
    Free Member

Just back from a bikey camping weekend at Afan. For those previous ‘closure’ threads – W2 was fully open with only a tiny diversion at the fireroad to the Afan visitor centre.
    Staying at Clyngorrrrrwg site – Skyline cycles were ultra helpful and friendly as usual, but jeez WTF have you done to the Drop Off Cafe? Really poor – it can’t take much effort to get the old atmosphere back..

A massive word of thanks to the unknown rider – halfway round W2 my rear mech fell apart as a pivot pin fell out. While we uselessly faffed with zipties, 2 guys turn up and help out by incredibly finding said 10mm long pin on the trail a way back. I smack it back in and it survived all the way back (with no gear changes!) Lifesaver – I owe you a pint whoever you are!

Then headed over and did the crosscountry loop at cwmcarn – really quite awesome. And a much better CAFF!

Wally

Thanks for the info – doing exactly the same very soon.

cheers_drive

I haven’t been since Drop Off Changed hands but was optimistically hoping it would still be good as Skyline Cycles has always has been. However if you are saying that the Cwmcarn cafe is better then Drop Off has gone seriously downhill.

scruffyluffy1970
    Free Member

The Drop Off Cafe has nothing to do with what is happening in glyncorrwg now.
    I moved out lock, stock and barrel back in December 2010.

All activity, staff, furniture, menus etc are now the sole responsibility of skyline cycles/cafe not the Drop Off cafe.

I will post a new thread on the forum but I really must make this clear.

Luffy

llama

the cafe is better at cwmcarn? jeez it must have got bad at Afan!

james_turk
    Free Member

Luffy and the Drop Off Girls, you are very much missed, what a ridiculous state of affairs….

cheers_drive

I went today and the new Skyline cafe is poor but still better than Cwmcarn or Afan. Service wasn’t with a smile and the food choice was just the bland cafe norm, good cakes though :D. We were the only people in it too where as the old Drop Off cafe was always busy.
    A shame a the bike shop is actually pretty good.

stevede
    Free Member

Agreed the old Drop Off cafe was brilliant but surely anything is better than nothing? Even getting a cuppa and a bite to eat from the girls in the van at Glyncorrwg last time i went was a luxury, whatever did people do before trail centres?! Once Jamie Oliver is done chasing a knighthood changing our kids school menus we could get him started on trail centre cafe menus – it could even see him gain a place in the MBUK hall of fame 🙂

LoCo
    Free Member

It’s frustrating to say the least see the poor quality of cafes’ at trail centres having worked in the catering industry for a while.

If the Drop off was used as a template people wouldn’t go far wrong in term of the quality ( and quantity 😀 ) of food and drinks.
    Most seem to churn out standard rubbish made from the cheapest ingredients available as it’s easiest and makes to most money, no love in it at all. 🙁

jonahtonto
    Free Member

just want to add that i miss the drop off guys being at glyncorrwg too. food made with love is so hard to find these days. shame. your missed by everyone guys, including the locals i speak to who dont even ride.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Cwmcarn cafe is absolutely shocking! I wouldn’t even give them money for a cup of tea! Bring back Drop Off! Let’s boycott the rubbish cafes 😉

thebunk

Bit harsh about the Cwmcarn cafe, I’d say it’s only mediocre. Now the Ashton Court golf kiosk, that’s proper rubbish that is. The “No Muddy Bikers” sign is a particularly nice touch, seeing as a mountain bike trail circles it. They’re knocking it down and replacing it with a mountain biking super cafe though. Karma in action, right there.

I miss the Dropoff too, the new cafe was a very sad sight yesterday.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Nope not harsh at all, all complete cr** greasy spoon food, they so “no muddy bikers” after council wasted millions on that complete garbage! I will take my own snack and flask of coffee (and packed lunch!) if it’s good luke TDC then I wil purchase but they are few and far between.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Afan & Cwmcarn’ is closed to new replies.