Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Afan Conditions?
  • Notter
    Free Member

Hi all, I'll be heading to Afan on Friday and was wondering what sort of nick the trails are in? We're prepared for filth but forewarned = forearmed etc…..!

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

me too. first time in two years. I gather that Afan drains pretty well though?

tinsy
    Free Member

Afan is always in good condition and doesnt ride much different from summer sunshine to winter cack, was even very nice in the snow.

Notter
    Free Member

Think I'd prefer snow looking at that picture Tinsy!
    Keeps your bike clean too 😉

tinsy
    Free Member

It was lovely but the climb up was LOOOOOOOONG 6-8 inches of power sapping snow, never used the granny gear so much!

Afan just doent get muddy, wet and gritty yes but not muddy, not even worth a tyre swap from my times there, always plenty of grip. Have fun. 🙂

coatesy
    Free Member

Did most of W2 on Sunday, and apart from a few minor patches of mud it was all fine.

Aidan
    Free Member

Trail conditions were good at the weekend, but a lot of Skyline's singletrack is closed at the moment. Like the man said, lots of grip even in the wet.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Penhydd was pretty waterlogged in places but the Wall was ok. Whites is usually pretty ok regardless.

nickc

but a lot of Skyline's singletrack is closed at the moment

Jesus, how pissed off would you be? I mean Skyline's not exactly covered in singletrack, and for bits of it to be closed….painfully dull ride

ddmonkey

Hi – I'm doing the Kona Mashup at Afan soon, sorry to ask but what tyres would you recommend? I was thinking High Rollers but was also wondering if I could get away with something lighter – I need all the help I can get on the timed climb!

robinbetts
    Free Member

ddmonkey – I'll be at the mashup too, can't wait, but don't think i'll be changing my tires. Currently Minion DH F/R 2.35 60a. The way I see it is I'd rather be more confident on the downs, and any extra drag on the ups just makes it a bit more of a challenge! Just think to your self how much better you're doing that all those guys taking the easy option with lightweight tyres!

ddmonkey

Indeed! Yes I think single ply 2.35 high rollers for me then, super tacky on the front and 60a on the back. I've never ridden there before and so will be riding the trails as fast as possible for the first time, should be exciting! Only one timed climb as well so as you say I think I'll gain more from having confidence in the rubber.

nickegg
    Free Member

FWIW i've done two Mash-up's using Minion DHF 2.35 Maxxpro on the front and a 2.25 Crossmark on the rear.

It was a great combination, loads of grip front and back with a stupidly fast tire on the back to boot!

It was Rowan Sorrells combo of choice too, and he won the technical category last year so if its good enough for him……..

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Those who were there last weekend, what were you riding? I was out and about that way all weekend.

It was wet. Very wet. But, very rideable, as ever.

Afan in the rain can be a brakepad killing grit fest, as it was for us!

Oh, and make sure you go and see Luffy before he takes the Dropoff off to its next home! (I know where, but not sure if Ian wants people to know yet, so will remain tight lipped!)

coatesy
    Free Member

Two of us on Orange 5s, one black, one white. What do you guys do with your brakes? Previous ride my rear pads were worn enough for the retainer spring to start touching the rotor(removed trailside before mangling occurred),on checking at the end of Sunday's ride there's still a similar ammount of pad left there.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Afan Conditions?’ is closed to new replies.