Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Afan Area – short rides
  • gribble
    Free Member

Hi,

Not been to Afan for a while, but have heard changes are in the ether.

For a short ride or two before/after work, what is the best option these days? I have done the Wall in a relatively short time, which I understand has been done up. Penhydd I presume is closed until later in 2013?

Am there in mid-June.

philwarren11
    Free Member

Do Blaengarw. 4 mile long trail split half way for a black top half and blue bottom half. Its 15 mins from Bridgend junction of the M4 on the way westbound to Afan.

Do the wall and extra bits from the bike park. Dont bother with Skyline as most of it is shut or diverted.

Whites is running well despsite an entirely new climb and final decsent.

pedroball
    Free Member

+1 for the Garw – well worth the diversion and a bit different to the usual trail centre route.

davidjey
    Free Member

I used to live in the Afan Valley til end of last year. There is much more to it than the trail centre.

How short is a short ride? Where are you going to be based? There is good stuff from Port Talbot all the way up to Blaengwnfi (most of the way up the Bwlch). If you want to keep it simple, plenty of ways to ‘shortcut’ Y Wal.

Email in profile if you want route suggestions/Strava links…..

gribble
    Free Member

Thanks all for your comments and suggestions. I am visiting the area for a couple of nights and thought I would make the most of having the ability to get out on the trails, rather than just going back to the hotel and putting on The Wire on my laptop…

I have ridden from both trail centres a couple of times, but not for a while now (have a kid these days). I am actually going to be based in the Swansea area so will be heading back from the West to East, hence my thinking it would be easier just to head up into the valley rather then get back onto the M4 heading back towards the East.

I have ridden The Wall as an after work shortish blast before (in the pouring rain I seem to remember), but have not done any of the local rides. Shortish to me would be sub 2 hours, so that I am not too pooped, yet feel like I have been out for a ride.

David Jey, will email as any routes would be of interest.

IdleJon

gribble, if you are based around Swansea there is no need to drive over to Afan as there is good riding to be had locally. Clyne Valley and Kilvey are both within an easy ride of the city centre and have plenty of riding. Gower is slightly more of a ride but can be lovely on a sunny evening.

If you want to join a group for an evening the MTB Pigs ride Clyne on Thursday evenings (7.15 from the Blackpill end of the cyclepath) and end up in the pub, and I’m sure there’d be someone around to show you other trails after work.

http://www.mtbpigs.co.uk/forum/index.php

Give me a shout if you want.

prezet
    Free Member

Great topic. I’m off to the Mumbles in a few weeks with the missus and daughter and was hoping to find a few nice little evening routes I can go and explore…

IdleJon

Same again, prezet. Meet up with us if you want.

prezet
    Free Member

Thanks Jon – will drop you a line.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Afan Area – short rides’ is closed to new replies.