Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Afan & Cwmcarn
  • fatgit
    Free Member

Hi
    I am off to visit my folks next week in Gloucester so was thinking about going off to ride one day.

Is Afan and Cwm Carn both doable in one day-looking at a map it seems that its dual carriageway for most of the journey from Gloucester and then between the centres.

How long will each of the rides take me-I am reasonably fit and would like to think that I can ride reasonably quick up and down (although others would!!!!
    Also was going to take my hardtail-would this be ok or would I be better on a full-susser.

Any other advice or info gratefully received.
    Cheers
    Steve

tree-magnet
    Free Member

It’s doable, but I’d be tempted to go to just afan. There’s more trails there (4) and you’ll get more riding in. Cwm Carn is good, but there’s just the one trail.

Bike wise, a hardtail is fine, but when I go I take my full susser. There’s a few rocky sections that are more fun to blast through IMO.

lookmanohands
    Free Member

Cwmcarn is just over an hour from glos and just under 2 to afan, m5 m4! Require the use of the Severn bridge,£5+ to get into Wales! There is tons of riding locally, painswick, cranham, lecky, cleeve, FOD. I’m sure myself or one of the other locals could show you around 😀

mikey74
    Free Member

Cwm Carn is good, but there’s just the one trail.

Erm, I think you’ll find there are three, if you include the two dh tracks, which are great.

tree-magnet
    Free Member

Okay, one XC trail and two downhill runs. I’d argue that they’re great though…

FuzzyWuzzy

I’d say just do Afan to if you only have one day

fatgit
    Free Member

Thanks people
    Might go to Afan then for a full day and then try CwmCarn for a quick half a day if I get the chance.
    Lookmanohands-may well take you up on that offer (if not next week then another time when I am down if thats ok?)-any chance you could email me contact details and I will get in touch. My email is stevetodd1963@hotmail.com

Cheers
    Steve

Diawl
    Free Member

I’d disagree that there are two DH tracks at Cwmcarn. The Mynydd Mojo course has options but I wouldn’t say it’s two distinct tracks. If you’re referring to the Pedal Hounds course on the opposite side of the valley, it has been destroyed because some knob decided to advertise its location by constructing a jump over the Forest Drive access road.

fatgit
    Free Member

Ok
    Just been on the website and there is more there than I thought.
    What are my best options in terms of a good day bearing in mind this is my first visit?
    On the face of it it would seem that Skyline trail first and then if I have time/energy Whites Level-this is based mainly on the fact tha I have heard of them!!!!.

I can do others if I go again.
    Is this a good plan or is one of the others better as starting ride?
    The grading doesnt bother me as have ridden lots of Black stuff elsewhere.

Cheers
    Steve

snaps
    Free Member

We did Whites with two loops of the black section half way round, then stopped at the Drop off cafe for coffe & cake then rode down the valley to do the Wall at Afan – about 27 miles in total & took 4.5 hours, gives you the option of another stop at the Afan visitors center & the Penhyd trail or return to the car.

Diawl
    Free Member

I wouldn’t bother with Skyline. Lots of boring forest road sections. I’d do the shorter July trail which takes in most of the best bits of Skyline. I still enjoy doing the Penhydd trail. It has some really good bits if ridden at speed.

jimster
    Free Member

To avoid the Severn Bridge go A40 from Gloucester to Ross then take either the A449 to the M4 or go the A465 Heads of the Valley road to Swansea. Prob 2 hrs from Gloucester, I know it’s 2-1/2 from Malvern.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

If i were you i’d just do afan (which you know already by the looks of it). Do W2 (the wall and whites level connected) and if time after do penhydd. start at the afan end (where the wall and penhydd start) rather than the glyncorrwg end.
    if you’re not too worried about driving time head to ross on the A40 and I normally stay on that down to newport and the M4. if you’re happy paying the bridge (and it could be worth it) then m5/m4 is pretty damn quick. bridge is free on way back so def take m4/m5 back home.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Afan all the way! Cwmcarn is just one short XC loop that is okay but not brilliant! enjoyable and worth doing but not driving lots for.

mrmo
    Free Member

an alternative to Jimster’s route, take the A40 turn off in the forest, head to Monmouth then floor it down the deserted dual carriage way to newport and the M4 from there

Taz

Afan for a day.

W2 route. Then if time / energy permits either the Penhydd or the July route (shortcut off of Skyline).

All 4 do-able in a day if you are reasonably fit.

Full Skyline is ok but would not be my first choice.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Park at Forest centre and do Penydd and W2, lunch stop at Glyncorrwyg half way round W2.

If you’re really fit you can do July (mini Skyline) before finishing W2 but beware this is 84km and a bloody tough 84km at that!

sharki
    Free Member

Park at the drop off cafe, Do whites, pootle down the old railway line to Afan, do Penhydd then the wall, then back to the cafe for food, do whites climb and straight over to the skyline descent or do july if you’ve got the legs….Worth making a good day of it if your going..

lowey

Steve,

When I had just the day at Afan, We set off from the Cafe at Glyncowyg and did the Wall, then back up the valley as did Whites Level (which was my fav). We were done for about 1pm as I had to drive back to Bolton then, so you could always think about doing the Penhydd as well as the wall.

The Skyline is a massive trail and would take me all day. Have fun mate.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Afan & Cwmcarn’ is closed to new replies.