Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Aeroplane geekery – Big 787 content
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Have a look on Flightradar24.com for flight BOE004

🙂

legend
    Free Member

haha well played! Didn’t get it until i started zooming out

EDIT: really hope someone goes full-STW and has a massive froth over the “waste of resources, carbon footprint, etc” 🙂

allthegear
    Free Member

https://www.flightradar24.com/BOE004/e54ad6b

Yes, that’s quite cool 😀

Rachel

scuttler

Mint. If I ever want to go to Memphis I think I’ll package myself up via FedEx. Bizzy.

njee20
    Free Member

Awesome!

scuttler

Just looking at that non-symmetric APU it reminds me of the tension of etch-a-sketch and the closer you get to the end the more stressful it gets not to eff-it-up.

Presume the etch-a-sketch function on the autopilot is better than the manual version.

legend
    Free Member

Gonna take bloody ages to colour in though

plyphon
    Free Member

Amazing. Why?

plyphon
    Free Member

A few people at work suspect it’s not real and it’s someone having a laugh : (

plyphon
    Free Member

Although there are a number of tweets suggesting it is real….

legend
    Free Member

plyphon – Member

Amazing. Why?

Same as using Strava to draw something – funsies

PiknMix
    Free Member

If you could, you would. Love it.

scotroutes

All those wasted hydrocarbons…

scuttler

The miles done are probably part of some test or pre-delivery plan for new planes or prototype configurations. What with the bean-counters running the show I can’t believe they do this thing any more purely for S’s-and-G’s.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

scotroutes – Member
    All those wasted hydrocarbons…

Polar bears are miserable gits.

🙂

legend
    Free Member

but it’s not shits n giggles, it’s great PR. test miles would be something boring, this is defintely not their standard day out. Even the level of detail is OTT!

aracer
    Free Member

Exactly – they have to “waste lots of hydrocarbons” as part of their testing anyway, and doing something like this is at least a bit more interesting for the crew than just flying in circles. The publicity doesn’t exactly do any harm either.

scuttler

IANAP but miles is miles and hours is hours when it comes to testing and flying planes, etc-a-sketch or otherwise. Not sure (yet) on the PR front as only about ten of us plus my dad seem to care at the moment 😉

thepurist

Anyone want to bet that the first flightplan they filed was for CocknBalls?

aracer
    Free Member

I assumed some sort of airspace issue, but there’s nothing obvious near Fayetteville they’d have to avoid.

crazy-legs

I assumed some sort of airspace issue, but there’s nothing obvious near Fayetteville they’d have to avoid.

There’s a bit of a glitch in the left hand engine as well, definite dip inward there.
    Not sure it would be running into airspace issues at 43,000ft!

Still a nice bit of artwork.

bencooper
    Free Member

Pointing at Seattle too, nice touch.

hooli

I have just spent far too long on that site, it still baffles me how many planes and people are in the air at any one time.

scuttler

Finished!

Captain Jeff Frankenburger III Jr to his mum

“Mum, mum, look what I did!”

globalti
    Free Member

Yes, I worry about my 2 litre diesel engine warming the environment when at any time there are thousands of huge turbo-fans blasting hot air and CO2 out into the upper atmosphere. I can’t believe they don’t have an effect.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

This event was an very specific flight test required for certification done once for every new aircraft/engine combination to prove the ETOPS capability of the aircraft.

Between 3 and 5% of man made CO2 comes from aircraft. Of course this number is growing as aviation continues to grow and they’ll become a bigger proportion as other sectors reduce….but unlike cars jet engine are getting a hell of a lot more fuel efficient and in 10 years time they’ll be 15 – 20% more fuel efficient than today’s generation of engines, and most aircraft are flying on a biofuel/Kerosene blend.

You want to make flying more environmentally friendly? Then find a more environmentally friendly way to get to and from the airport, because the biggest polluters in the aviation industry are passengers getting to and from airports. Airports themselves are not particularly environmentally friendly too.

njee20
    Free Member

Bloody long flight! I’m impressed with their accuracy (minor deviations in the APU and LH engine aside!)

cynic-al
    Free Member

If they’d had the balls, they’d have drawn…

Srsly:

the biggest polluters in the aviation industry are passengers getting to and from airports

My 6 return UK flights pa equated roughly to my 2000 miles in a car on my recent check.

You are saying the former includes the driving to the airport? (I mostly cycle, 13 miles. I appreciate it’s longer for others but many will use public transport or drive in groups).

kormoran
    Free Member

Between 3 and 5% of man made CO2 comes from aircraft. Of course this number is growing as aviation continues to grow and they’ll become a bigger proportion as other sectors reduce….but unlike cars jet engine are getting a hell of a lot more fuel efficient and in 10 years time they’ll be 15 – 20% more fuel efficient than today’s generation of engines, and most aircraft are flying on a biofuel/Kerosene blend.

You want to make flying more environmentally friendly? Then find a more environmentally friendly way to get to and from the airport, because the biggest polluters in the aviation industry are passengers getting to and from airports. Airports themselves are not particularly environmentally friendly too.

Sources please

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Yay! Another copyandpastefest argument. 🙁

Pook

We were tracking it all day at work today. Very amusing

aracer
    Free Member

I’m not – you’d think with GPS and autopilot they should be close to 100% accurate.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Aeroplane geekery – Big 787 content’ is closed to new replies.