Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Aero rims on my road bike?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

I have 32h hubs with Mavic Open Pro rims on my road bike. They are getting old, and will need to be replaced before too long.

I originally got those rims because I wanted maximum comfort for mile munching. Now I don’t do as many miles, but I might one day do some road racing. Would it be worth getting a slightly deeper rim – Mavic do one at 30mm.

I’d still need 32h of course so they are unlikey to be much more aerodynamic I suppose, but they could be a little stiffer to help get my phenomenal power on the road/support my lardy arse.

flange
    Free Member

I’d still need 32h of course

I think this will limit your choice of rims significantly.

cp

Going from an Open Pro which is what, 15mm in section ish, to a 30mm section is going to make fa difference in real terms, particularly with 32 spokes creating a windmill.

IMO aero benefits start to become significant to become worth it at 50mm section and 20-24 aero profiled spokes, but then price really starts to climb from where you’re at now.

Which Mavic rims you looking at with a 30mm section?

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

Why are 32h a must?

Have only tried my normal ultegras and 50m deep section wheels. Deep section ones amazing and i’m buying some asap!

carbon337
    Free Member

I love my wheelsmith gigantex I’m uising them for everything at the moment which is naughty since i have some mavic Ksyrium elites too.

20-24 and well stiff even for race sprinting. They make a nice sound too when changing down gears.

[/url]
    IMG_3062 by H2O Foto, on Flickr[/img]

Ps – yes i know my tomato plant and wall are beyond repair!

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

carbon337 – nice bike, got my eye on one of those at the moment. This years model comes with deep section carbon DT Swiss wheels and looks ace for the £.

How do you like it?

carbon337
    Free Member

Its awesome, fast stiff and light. The BB is massive.

It can be a bit hard on very rough roads as it really is designed as a race bike, they have changed the seatpost to a 27.2 to help a bit i believe. The colour is nicer in real life too. I initially wasnt sure from pictures but its nice in the flesh. I originally wanted a TCR adv SL but this came up so jumped at it.

I wont tell you how much i bought the brand new frame only for though 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

I’d still need 32h of course

I looked online, there are various creative ways of lacing up 24h rims on 32h hubs. The reason is that I don’t want new hubs – I have a powertap that I would like to keep.

The other option is something like Mavic Aksium at £170 a pair (which the bike actually came with and were sold), with aero spokes and all. I dunno if it would make a difference. I think stiffness would be more noticeable….?

carbon337
    Free Member

Speak to derek at wheelsmith im sure he could sort you out – he does powertap hubs

m1kea
    Free Member

Empirically, I’ve never noticed any real difference with slightly ‘aero’ rims.

I brought a set of Campag Zondas back in 03 for my TT bike before going CF tubs. Said Zondas are now on my winter bike, mainly because I wrecked a Vento rim on a drain cover, and had two Aksium hubs fail.

Now if you’re looking at 40mm or deeper rims then yes I can see the logic however I wouldn’t personally road race a set.

Stick with what you know works

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

I’d think there’s more to be gained from switching from 32 spoke wheels to aksiums than there is from aksiums to non FC zipps or other cheap deep rims

molgrips
    Free Member

Stick with what you know works

Well, they all work, don’t they? They go round!

I’d think there’s more to be gained from switching from 32 spoke wheels to aksiums

Hmm..

Now if you’re looking at 40mm or deeper rims then yes I can see the logic however I wouldn’t personally road race a set.

Why?

molgrips
    Free Member

Blimey, Planet X aero wheelsets are cheap!

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Yeah, but how aero are they? Deep ? aero.

Test on the actual aero gains of various wheelsets

m1kea
    Free Member

molgrips

Why?

I know plenty of people who’ve trashed decent CF rims in road races. A recent one would be one Sean Yates esq who got taken out in a recent RR at Goodwood.

His younger brother Conall has also had ‘fun’ in a crash this year.

For the record I have Corima Aeros and Easton EA90 TT wheels for the TT wagon.

molgrips
    Free Member

I can’t really afford CF anyway! New rims on the same hubs would be a stretch.

cynic-al
    Free Member

doesn’t sound like your budget will stretch to anything that will make a significant difference.

Why do they need replaced?

BrickMan

Might be the brake surfaces are worn out? I’ve worn a few out over the years (MTB!) and when it comes to it, done the same as you, looked around for rims that would be better/lighter/stronger/more bling, but then found that the cost of changing increases massively when you have to factor in new spokes (decent spokes are now around the £1 each mark, £3-10 each for aero blades!), so always come to the conclusion that i’ll just replace like for like.

Open pro’s are well reputed road rim, sure there are better, and there are more aero, but at 32h, the differences are really only going to be aesthetics and more side wind failures.

Kbrembo
    Free Member

Have a look at Spinmyride

Great wheels and a fantastic service…give them a call..they will build what YOU want.

Good Luck!

molgrips
    Free Member

Why do they need replaced?

As above, sidewalls are wearing and the spoke tension is getting a bit out of hand.

Like I say, stiffness is more likely to be a factor, esp with me being on the heavier side for a cyclist. When I had them built the LBS chap (who is a very quick and experienced rider and a first class mechanic and wheel builder) thought there’d be a difference, albeit small, with even slightly deeper section rims.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Aero rims on my road bike?’ is closed to new replies.