Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Aeris 145 or airdrop edit v2
  • timmtb
    Free Member

Tough choice to make, like so many others here. I am from Belgium and don’t have the opportunity to test them. Ride mostly Xc and trail in Belgium but want a new bike for trips to Italy, bpw etc. currently riding an old spectral which feels to short when it gets rowdy. Wheelbase is 1140 and reach 415. I feel more on top than in the bike. My 2 options now are the arris 145 with lyrick and rct3 deluxe or airdrop v2 with dub coil il and pike. Both will cost the same.

I test ride the old arris and it felt good and better than my spectral. First idea was go for the bird 145, but maybe it is to big? Size m/l is wheelbase 1230, reach 480 and ett 630. Airdrop medium is wb 1196, reach 453, Ett 620.

Anyone ridden both or ridden the new aeris 145, airdrop and old aeris to compare?

Only can spend the money once and I can tell both will probably be good, just want the best.

Any opinions and suggestions are welcome.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I looked at both very closely last summer. Bought an Alpine instead.

timmtb
    Free Member

Alpine is not my cup of tea, just as I don’t like the strive, commencal, Capra etc. I narrowed it down to these two. Really like the fact that I can chose my components myself.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ve ridden the airdrop and really rated it. I even started a thread about it. Planning on trying the one45 in March.

bungalistic
    Free Member

Not ridden any of the Aeris’ so can’t comment on them.

Have ridden and do own the v1 Edit and it’s really good. Not the lightest of bikes out there so maybe the Aeris is better in that regard but the weight is only noticeable when you’re carrying up the hills in the Lake District.

timmtb
    Free Member

@onzadog how tall are you and what size did you ride. I am 180 (6 foot I guess) with shoes on and feels like I am stuck in the middle.

I have added the weights of both bike options and components and they are similar just as the price. Otherwise the choice might have been easier.

bungalistic
    Free Member

At 180cm you’d probably be fine on a medium. Though you could size up and try a large Edit with short stem.

I’m 5’8″ (around 176cm) and riding medium with short stem (40mm) and it feels pretty good. After talking with Ed he suggested the medium and he was correct.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

@onzadog how tall are you and what size did you ride. I am 180 (6 foot I guess) with shoes on and feels like I am stuck in the middle.

If it helps, I’m 182cm and bought a L Aeris 1.5. Looked at the Airdrop (and had a chat via email with Ed – top bloke and very helpful) but declined because it didn’t have dropper routing.

Rode an Aeris on a filthy Feb nightride with Dan from Bird and liked it very much, and also liked Dan’s thoughts in this article: http://www.bird.bike/2016/02/08/kinematics/ They tend to talk a lot of sense (IMO) on their blog too: http://www.bird.bike/blog/

To throw something else into the mix, I’m a long-time Orange fan/user too, and was ultimately pining after a new Five, but Bird’s location (not too far away) and their attitude (genuinely incredibly helpful) as well as a decent product saw me splashing the cash.

So – being brutally honest – I think it would be hard to go wrong with either. Purely from visual impressions and comments from owners, the Airdrop is a little heftier than the Bird, but the Aeris is certainly no slouch heading downhill – it was designed with privateer enduro racing in mind.

If you’re still riding quite a bit of XC I’d personally go for a Bird as it pedals well; if you’re keeping it for big days in the mountains then consider the Airdop.

jamesfts
    Free Member

I am 180 (6 foot I guess) with shoes on and feels like I am stuck in the middle.

At 6 foot I’d say you should be on a large, not in the middle of sizes.

I’m 6ft and the large feels spot on, I’ve not ridden the Bird but have had my Airdrop now for a few months and love it.

Onzadog
    Free Member

My wife is 5’8.5″ and I’m closer to 5’10”. We both tried a medium with different sized stems. She had a 35 and I had a 45.

Much longer on the stem and you start to miss the design intent of the frame. The head tube on a v2 large will only be 125mm and the seat tube and standover are lower on the v2.

You sound like you’d fit both but perhaps only want the large if you’re straight line bombing stuff. The wheelbase on the large is about 1220 from memory so might be interesting in single track. That’s only my guess though, I’ve not tested that theory.

If in doubt, speak to Ed, he’s really really helpful and very chilled out. I believe one of the things he tried to achieve with the design was getting most people onto the medium rather than making most of the population have to choose between medium or large. Unlike pretty much every other bike out there.

bungalistic
    Free Member

Also if you’re 180cm that’s more like 5’9″ than 6′ but if you have a large inside leg measurement or long arm the large may fit better

crusty
    Free Member

I tried the Bird and Edit and went for the Edit.
    The bird was flexy in the corners, not just a feeling but genuine tyre-rub on the stays with witness marks. I’m not heavy either.
    Went for the Edit and haven’t looked back, it’s a really good bike and good value.
    EDIT: And Ed was really helpful, it was a pleasure to buy a bike from him.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Also if you’re 180cm that’s more like 5’9″ than 6′

That makes it so much easier. Medium, enjoy!

Thought your existing bike sounded small.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Er, 1m80 is 5’11“ – where did you lot go to school!?

FWIW, I’m 6′ but with long upper body, demoed the Large Aeris and now have one on order. The reach figure might be huuuge but the steep seat-tube angle puts you nicely in the middle for climbing. If you’ve got longer legs, you might want to go for a ML though.

Belgium isn’t that far away – could you not plan a trip over a couple of days to demo both?

jamesfts
    Free Member

I just read 6ft and ignored the 180 bit I’ll be honest!

At 5’11” I’d still be looking at a large IMO.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Ah, I see bungalistic’s error. It’s 5.9″, not 5’9″.

bungalistic
    Free Member

Yup you’re right I was reading 5.9ft foot as 5ft 9inches when it is really 5ft 10.8inches

Give both Ben@Bird and Ed@airdrop an email and see what they suggest size wise, you can’t go wrong with either really.

Edit:

Ah, I see bungalistic’s error. It’s 5.9″, not 5’9″

Ha yeah I just noticed that too

timmtb
    Free Member

Thanks for the fast replies. Comment of jazzmaster helped a lot as well. Bird sounds little bit better for xc and edit little bit burlier for the ‘downhill’ parts.

Unfortunately not have the time to go try them both.

kudos100
    Free Member

I owned a mk1 aeris and thought it was a great bike/frame. (Sadly sold it as my back has been knackered for the past year and a half)

My only criticism is that with the bike being so long, it lost a bit of the manoeuvrability and fun that a shorter bike has on slow and twisty trails. The rear triangle had a bit more flex in it compared to my old stumpy evo (not sure if they have beefed this up on the new ones) One the flip side, when it was fast, open and rough the bike excelled.

The new one’s are perhaps a little too far in the reach department for my taste. A large is longer than my XL.

I’d prefer something with a little less reach and a slightly longer TT (Mk1 aeris had awesome geometry)

It’s good that they have included an extra size, so you can always downsize and get something a little less extreme.

No idea about the Airdrop. From the numbers it looks a little less extreme in the reach department and perhaps a bit heftier. Also comes with 142 rather than boost and a regular shock mount which is a bonus (I can’t stand the built in obsolescence that is coming with new bikes)

I wouldn’t count the Aeris out downhill, the original one was a monster DH so while the Airdrop might possibly be stiffer, I doubt it would be any faster DH. I’d need to ride them both to find out.

All that being said, I may end up with another bird in the future, but will downsize to a m/l or a l.

Bird also have an amazing warranty, so that would probably sway it for me, even though the boost and metric shock mount are a pain in the arse.

anagallis_arvensis

but declined because it didn’t have dropper routing.

V2 edit does doesnt it?

bungalistic
    Free Member
    mark90
    Free Member

No idea about the Airdrop. From the numbers it looks a little less extreme in the reach department

The Edit’s numbers are very similar to the Mk1/1/5 Aeris.

I wouldn’t count the Aeris out downhill, the original one was a monster DH so while the Airdrop might possibly be stiffer, I doubt it would be any faster DH. I’d need to ride them both to find out.

I have a Mk1.5 Aeris and a riding buddy who is similar riding standard to me has an Edit. Our stava times are very similar, maybe on average I’m a little quicker 😉 On rough, rocky, rooty, technical stuff I pull away, on the bike park style jumps he gains. I can’t jump, so probably more down to rider than bike.

Bird also have an amazing warranty, so that would probably sway it for me

The Bird warranty is better. I’ve had good service from Ben and Dan at Bird and my mates had good service from Ed at Airdrop.

I’m still yet to have a really decent go on the Edit (and it’s a bit big for me to ride properly). But I would say based on my Mk1.5 that the Aeris is a better pedalling bike for covering the XC stuff.

It seems both bikes descend well. On a recent group ride someone said to us we’re much better riders since we got our new bikes. No’s we’re still shit but the bikes are so confidence inspiring and skill compensating that the terrain we are riding has stepped up a level, or two.

Always recommend what you own, so just get an Aeris, you won’t be disappointed 🙂

kudos100
    Free Member

The Edit’s numbers are very similar to the Mk1/1/5 Aeris.

Aeris MK1/1.5 isn’t available anymore, so we are talking about the 145 which is quite a bit longer.

jruk
    Free Member

I find the flexy comments about the Aeris a bit odd tbh. I’m 100kg in my kit and never managed to get my tyres to rub the stays. Obviously not trying hard enough.

timmtb
    Free Member

Aeris MK1/1.5 isn’t available anymore, so we are talking about the 145 which is quite a bit longer.

This is what is maybe stopping me from buying the aeris. The reach on the M/L (which is the suggested size on the bird website) is longer than the L size edit and for example the same as an XL strive. It makes me feel the bike might be to big and puts me in an uncomfortable position, but maybe that is just the new forward geometry I need to get used to.

benpinnick

The bikes aren’t big (or at least not specifically massive by comparison to anything else). Anything bigger than the smallest one is after all just a size unless you have either extremely short legs or extremely long ones.

What you have to decide is whether you want the ride characteristics of the combo of Reach, Wheelbase and Seat Angle for your chosen bike and size. I would say (well I would wouldn’t I) that the updated Aeris is a big improvement over the MK 1/1.5 in terms of climbing, and the metric shocks deliver some mental small bump sensivitity and nicely supported mid-stroke that the old monarch never quite managed, but the wheelbase to ETT ratio change does need some getting used to, but once you do everything else just feels wierd.

RicB

Ben – could the 120 be supplied with the super deluxe shock (which supposedly has better damping)? I can’t seem to find the available sizes on the SRAM website

benpinnick

Yes and no. There are super deluxe shocks available, but we’re not importing them at the moment.

nickc

OP I don’t think you’d be disappointed with either TBH. I’m 178cm and very comfy on a med V.1 Edit. it’s very confidence inspiring, the suss action is smooth and unobtrusive and just let’s you get on with riding. I think the single most impressive thing for me is the Bike’s ability to climb techy steep stuff. I was sort of expecting it to be good on the DH, but the thing just grips insanely well.

Personally I like the non stealth routing, but I can see why it’s a deal breaker for some.

jruk
    Free Member

If the new 145 climbs better than than the original Aeris it must come with a bloody motor.

timmtb
    Free Member

@Ben since I guess you are one of the people behind bird. when comparing the new aeris to the 1.5 which I have ridden before. Would you say the new one climbs better and is more stable on the descents, but also less playfull (harder to pop off things and harder to throw around the really twisty stuff)? Or how would you describe the difference in character of the 2 bikes?

tomaso
    Free Member

It is worth considering seat angle in with reach as this impacts the feel greatly. Two bikes with same reach but wildly different seat angles will feel quite different both riding and the cockpit.
    If you make trips to BPW I’d go via Swinley and have a ride.

jamesfts
    Free Member

OP I don’t think you’d be disappointed with either TBH.

I think the above is spot on – you’ll be happy whatever your decision.

psycorp
    Free Member

If you’re looking for small bump a coil shock is the answer not metric.

The bike industry is all too fond of introducing meaningless “standards” in an effort to force purchases and destroy compatibility. Really it’s destroying consumer faith and the reputation of the industry.

benpinnick

Would you say the new one climbs better and is more stable on the descents, but also less playfull (harder to pop off things and harder to throw around the really twisty stuff)?

I would say pretty much exactly this, but I would add I feel the balance is better this way as it feels a bit more controlled, so easier to push about at speed, negating some of the longer wheelbase effects.

If you’re looking for small bump a coil shock is the answer not metric.

Thats true to an extent, but if you haven’t tried a deluxe or super deluxe with bearing mounts yet I suggest you do, I think the small bump sensitivity will surprise you, as will the support it provides in the mid stroke. Its so different from a monarch it took us getting on for a year of testing to figure out what tune to run as its a very different shock. The whole Metric thing is a bit of a red herring, the shocks are just massive for their stroke, allowing them to do a lot more inside, a lot better in my opinion. I will be writing up an article on the actual differences between the Monarch and Deluxe in the next few days to highlight whats actually changed and what effect its had in non-marketing speak.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

V2 edit does doesnt it?

I believe it does. It’s certainly something Ed wanted to rectify when I had an e-chat with him; he’d just not found a method of routing the cable internally that he liked, which I totally understand.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Aeris 145 or airdrop edit v2’ is closed to new replies.