Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Aerial Connection Issue
  • whimbrel
    Free Member

Just bought a new digi box/recorder and am having trouble with the signal/reception. Initially I couldn’t tune all stations we’d previously been able to get, then I could intermittently get them. Changed my aerial lead from wall socket to box and seemed OK, but when I moved the TV and box to final position the reception went on and off. I checked all connections and found the lead plug to wall socket connection was a bit loose so as a temporary measure wrapped tin foil round the plug to make a snug fit. This seemed to work, until my wife was moving stuff to dust and picture went again. Bought a new wall socket and and plug is now a snug fit without tin foil.
    I’ve remade connection to aerial in loft, been out and bought a new aerial lead and still intermittent reception. The strangest thing is that if I touch the body of the aerial lead plug the signal improves and can go from no picture to 10/10 on signal strength and quality, and on some stations I can change from no picture to 10/10 just by moving my hand to within 10mm of aerial plug/input socket at back of digi box without touching/moving anything.

I’m thinking faulty box now. Any other ideas before I take it back?

Cougar

One thing to check,

If the cables have home-terminated ends (ie, it’s not a premade cable with moulded plugs), the core wire sits inside the little metal sleeve on the plug. You need to have a slight bend in the wire so that it makes contact with the sleeve; if it’s dead straight, chances are there won’t be a connection.

The symptoms you’re getting sound more earth-related to me though.

argoose
    Free Member

If they are home made connetions make sure the copper screen wire (negative). Looks like fishnet. Has not got a stray strand making contact with the solid copper core, only needs one strand to touch to mess up your RX.
    Also ensure its all shiny new looking copper, no dull or green color. A little spray of GT85 or similar on assembly also assists.

whimbrel
    Free Member

Thanks. I initially made a new ‘home made’ cable, had the same issues, so went out and bought a ready made one [albeit a ‘cheap’ one] in case I’d got it wrong.

If it is an earth issue, any ideas where to look?

bearnecessities

Are you using decent screened cable like ct100?

Drac

Here you go a nice simple guide worth checking.

http://www.aerialsandtv.com/wiringup.html

jota180
    Free Member

Any other aerial outlets running off the same drop cable?

djglover
    Free Member

The number and quality of the joins is the major factor in achieving a good signal in my experience.

whimbrel
    Free Member

Don’t know about CT100, but the home made cable looks more ‘substantial’ [Old school brown sleeving] than the new shop bought lead.
    This is only outlet running off the aerial.
    Will check out the link.
    Ta.

Edit:
    Just compared home made cable with shop bought. Home made has bare metal plugs, shop bought has plastic over moulded. When I touch the metal body of plugs on home made cable the picture signal quality changes – this is on both ends, digi box and wall socket. I can’t touch any metal on the shop bought plug at the wall socket and touching the over moulding does nothing. If I touch the accessible metal part at the digi box end the signal quality changes.
    If I rotate and slightly side load the digi box connection on both leads the signal quality varies.

jota180
    Free Member

Old school brown sleeving

That’s likely to be C55 and perfectly adequate in most situations
    The signal varying when touched points to a problem with continuity on the screening – check and double check those 2 terminations

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Aerial Connection Issue’ is closed to new replies.