• This topic has 67 replies, 37 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • A&E waiting time roulette
  • cloudnine
    Free Member

Just arrived in a&E
    Boringly it’s a small piece of tannelised wood in my eye.

How long until I get seen?

qwerty
    Free Member

If its tannelised then you’ve already been treated.

qwerty
    Free Member

PS: – just think of anything under 4hrs as a bonus. MIU nearby?

Cougar

Heaven forbid A&E should prioritise emergency cases.

rmacattack
    Free Member

[video]http://<iframe src=”//giphy.com/embed/65fiHpjKxyBgc?html5=true” width=”480″ height=”359.59866220735785″ frameBorder=”0″ class=”giphy-embed” allowFullScreen></iframe><p>via GIPHY</p>[/video]

f*@k it. its a slow clap gif

Drac

4 Hours at least.

Meanwhile keep refreshing to see Macattack’s fail.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Have some patience, the doc has to deal with the beam in his own eye before attending to the mote in yours – that’s the hippocrytic oath.

Drac

jonnyboi

If they have an eye casualty dept then you may be seen quickly

maccruiskeen

If its tannelised then you’ve already been treated.

Very good.

If there’s one nearby you’ll probably be quicker going to a branch of boots with an optician in house than waiting in a&e

rmacattack
    Free Member

what tech wizardry is this? for second post anyway, in response to ops question, a nice sunny easter sunday, id say 5 hours min.

Houns

qwerty wins, bravo.

Sit back, relax, observe the buffoons in the waiting room, be nice and polite to the staff once you’re seen, and be grateful that the awesome service is free

Tracey

Katie, my daughter, fell at work last night and dislocated her knee. The Paramedics arrived quickly and put it back in then took her to the hospital. She was just over six hours before she was first seen and a few more hours before she was ready to come home. Not a bad turn round for a Saturday night in South Yorkshire.

PiknMix
    Free Member

If there’s one nearby you’ll probably be quicker going to a branch of boots with an optician in house than waiting in a&e

Who will then tell you to go to A&E

maccruiskeen

Who will then tell you to go to A&E

Not in my experience

revs1972
    Free Member

Was in an out within half an hour when I put a 5mm scratch on my eyeball. That needle though ………..

P-Jay
    Free Member

A looooooong time.

Non-serious injury.
    Weekend.
    Bank Holiday Weekend.

I suspect you’re not going to be ‘most’ in their “most people seen within 4 hours” target.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Lots of fat people here with no obvious injuries. People keeping giving me funny looks as I keep winking at them. Small child has just arrived having gone over the handle bars on his bike.. Bloody cyclists.

Went to miu first but couldn’t do anything but squirt me with water.. In my eye

Drac

No child with a pan on their head?

PiknMix
    Free Member

Not in my experience

Good to hear, my optometrist would have referred you.

RobHilton
    Free Member

No old codger with his todger in a hoover?

cloudnine
    Free Member

Been triaged.. My requests for morphine were declined.

maccruiskeen

Good to hear, my optometrist would have referred you.

I don’t have an optometrist. But getting annoying bits of wood in the eye is a bit of an occupational hazard in my line of work. If an opticians is on the way to a&e we’d go there first.

In and out in 15 minutes. Never been turned away or referred on. Parking usually easier in retail parks too.

Flaperon

I don’t have an optometrist. But getting annoying bits of wood in the eye is a bit of an occupational hazard in my line of work.

Ah, one of the “too experienced to use eye protection” brigade… 😉

maccruiskeen

Sometimes the offending article is in the eye protection before put it on.

Goggles and glasses are fine for protecting against flying debris- the sort of thing you really would be heading to a&e with. But ambient grit and grot is harder to defend against.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Mac are you suggesting you shouldn’t go to A&E if you get something in your eye and it’s not coming out?

A&E doc always says come to A&E when it’s happened to me

Drac

Been triaged.. My requests for morphine were declined.

It dilates your pupils.

cloudnine
    Free Member

All sorted! Object removed, eye stained yellow, home in time for tea

maccruiskeen

Mac are you suggesting you shouldn’t go to A&E

No. I’m saying if there is an optician on the way I’d go there first. I wouldn’t pass an a&e to get to boots. But I’ve had people seen so quickly that way even if they couldn’t or wouldn’t help it would make next to no time difference given how long we’d be sat in a&e.

If it was a serious injury then obviously that’s a different story.

bails

Was in an out within half an hour when I put a 5mm scratch on my eyeball.

Same here when i did similar in the day before Christmas Eve. Checked over at the eye clinic first thing the next morning too.

jonba
    Free Member

Pretty quick then. When I’ve taken people with eye injuries they often are fast.

My thoughts on A and E are that I’d sooner spend 4 hours in the waiting room when I visit than ever need to jump to the front of the queue.

project
    Free Member

spend a few quids on safety eye wear and save the nhs the cost of your treatment

alric
    Free Member

where are you?
    can we get a database of A&E waiting times?
    with best /worst visiting times?
    currently deciding between waiting till morning on bank hol.
    I always wear eye protection after getting a metal spilnterdug out of my eyeball

cloudnine
    Free Member

It was small fragments of wood and dust that blew into my eye.. Wasn’t using a power tool at the time.

barkm
    Free Member

if you’re bothered about waiting times, then it isn’t an emergency, and you’re in the wrong place 8)

slowster
    Free Member

It was small fragments of wood and dust that blew into my eye.. Wasn’t using a power tool at the time.

In many factories, safety spectacles must be worn at all times in the workshop, not just by those operating tools (who might be required to wear goggles instead for added protection), or when tools are running. It sounds like the environment in your workshop may warrant a similar approach.

Sometimes the offending article is in the eye protection before put it on.

Eye protection and respiratory protection that are dusty and dirty, usually because they are hung up in a dusty and dirty environment, usually indicate that they are not being used. They should be kept clean, be stored in a clean place, and be on the moment you step into the workshop.

cloudnine
    Free Member

like the environment in your workshop may warrant a similar approach.

I was out in the garden assembling a wooden climbing frame holding a piece of wood when a gust of wind blew dust in my eye..

slowster
    Free Member

I was out in the garden assembling a wooden climbing frame holding a piece of wood when a gust of wind blew dust in my eye..

I’ll let you off in this instance.

Flippancy aside, I’m glad it did not take you too long to get seen and that it was not a major injury.

I’ll admit I’m a bit of a hypocrite, because I do not usually wear safety specs when I am working on my bikes, but I am hoping to get a bike stand soon, and I plan on getting into the habit of putting safety specs on whenever I put a bike in the stand.

maccruiskeen

In many factories, safety spectacles must be worn at all times in the workshop, not just by those operating tools (who might be required to wear goggles instead for added protection), or when tools are running. It sounds like the environment in your workshop may warrant a similar approach.

Not everywhere is a factory and spectacles and even goggles aren’t hermetically sealed – they protect you from something coming straight at you with a bit of momentum behind them. Nuisance stuff blowing around, falling off you sweaty brow, or whatever, can get behind them can get in your eyes. It happens occasionally – I’ve had to deal with it 3 times in the last 25 years.

alric
    Free Member

not so much botheredby waiting times, more interested if its quicker at milton keynes than bedford etc.
    When I had a bit of metal inmy eye I was wearing goggles

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘A&E waiting time roulette’ is closed to new replies.