Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Ae
  • forge197
    Free Member

Rode AE for the first time today.

It was a lot more technical in places than I thought it would be and on a drop that I was fully commited to managed to file down three teeth on my chainset.

Really enjoyed it and better than I was led to believe.

druidh
    Free Member

Seems to be a bit “marmite”. I really rather enjoy Ae as it feels more out there than the likes of Glentress. I also like the fact that you get a few climbs and descents in, not just a blast to the top and back down again. I’ve read lots of complaints that there’s too much forest track, but I’m sure Kirroughtree has just as much and that’s fawned over.

forge197
    Free Member

It didn’t feel like there was too much Forest Track, thought the balance was good and no more than some of the others as you say.

Looking to head over to Glentress as not been there yet probably not for a few weeks.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

I rode it recently and really enjoyed it, the penultimate descent over the doubles, kickers and down the big berms is awesome.

however, the singletrack climbing for the first 20 minutes or so is also good, then some fireroad and then more singletrack, across the top of the hills and then around ‘the Edge section’ is great fun. It’s got a bit of everything.

Here’s a video of my 7 stanes trip last week featuring bits of Ae as well as others

forge197
    Free Member

Good Video That

Trekster

hey forge
    mail me anytime if you are going out

Mabie next Tues @ 4ish if you fancy a “slow” ride with my workmates

billybob
    Free Member

some good cgi work there…

there’s no way you had that much sun in Scotland!

simonralli2
    Free Member

Mini hijack

Trekster – I did Mabie today but only managed 75% of the red in around 2 hours. I’m pretty out of shape so was going to do a slow Dalbettie on Tuesday and then maybe Ae or Drumlanrig Thursday. My bike gets a service on Friday. I was so shamefully slow that I decided not to give anyone a shout for a couple of weeks as it would be too embarrassing have someone go at my speed. May drop you an email for Maybie if I am feeling like I am getting fit over the next week or so. Was going to go out tomorrow too but decided to climb Criffel instead.

Forge – glad you enjoyed Ae – I quite like it but not too sure when I’ll be tackling it as it is quite a long ride (for me anyway).

forge197
    Free Member

Trekster, Simon I’ve sent you both a mail

SlowJohn
    Free Member

I have ridden Ae once and i loved it, but my mate on the other hand didnt like it at all. i cvame a real cropper on the last bit (forget its name) yet i was grinning from ear to ear

simonralli2
    Free Member

Forge – sent you an email outlining current lack of mojo/biking woes : )

Wont go into detail here

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

Good Video That

cheers Forge, I enjoyed making it too.

Spesh99
    Free Member

I have to say I really don’t like Ae at all and I’ve ridden more or less every trail centre and countless unmarked rides in Scotland and it is the only trail I’ve not enjoyed both times I’ve ridden it. The final descent is good for a bit of fun, but the rest of the trail seems really badly designed with no flow at all.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

The cafe at Ae is very good.

convert

I rode it 4 years ago and loved it as it wasmy first experience of riding a “trail centre”. I rode it the other week at the end of a week of Highlands riding at trail centres (laggan and Golspie) and “real” trails and didn’t enjoy it much. Partly my own fault I think as I had got into a habit during the week of always dropping my post for descents and raising it back for climbs. You just can’t do that at Ae as you are forever doing 20secs of fun descent followed by another climb. I also thought the trail surface had deteriated significantly and there were some berm sections that just could not be ridden with a good line. It had been raining for a few days so maybe that had broken it up and washed it away a bit in places.

toons
    Free Member

I rode it last weekend and I loved it.

It’s changed loads, since I last rode it, couple of new sections; that new north shore bit was class, made my eyes go funny.

forge197
    Free Member

toons – I had the beginnings of a headache before the wood section it didn’t help 🙂 Think that bit could be interesting in the wet.

craig1975
    Free Member

I rode it 6 months ago and it was a disaster Cu’s half the trail was diverted so I ended up on 70% fire road but that was my fault for not checking first 😯

I gave it another shot on Saturday and had a grate time, I loved the place. There was enough good few fast flowy sections to keep me smiling and where some sketchy berms to keep you on your toes, The jumps at the bottom where a bit mental but you can roll over them which was fun. I like the remote feel you get from the Ae forest. For me it came a close second to Kirry. I will defo be back.

I cant wait to move back down to Dumfries and have the stains on my door step!!

forge197
    Free Member

We will have to sort a STW Stanes ride!!

toons
    Free Member

Defo going to be interesting in the wet!

Also it was a lot rockier than I remember, felt like a new trail with all the felled trees.

Nice bike craig1975

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

I rode there last weekend too and enjoyed it. However, a lot of the trails are almost unrecognisable since the tree felling and there are still diversions in place. My last visit prior to that, was about a year ago and the trail conditions were awful so I avoided it till now despite it being quite local.

Will be visiting it more often this year i think 😀

forge197
    Free Member

What bike is that bigdugsbaws?

BoardinBob

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Turner DW spot

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Ae’ is closed to new replies.