Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • Advice Request – Bad Trader failing to make a refund for goods
  • lemonysam
    Free Member

What is wrong with some of you lot? So busy picking on the victim you seem to have forgotten about the stw ‘community’

Do classifieds only posters really constitute part of that “community”?

sbob
    Free Member

lemonysam – Member

Nope.
    Like kitchen porters, they have no souls.

plyphon
    Free Member

You used PayPal gift to skip fees on £45 quid?

The fees would have totalled £1.79[/u]

You skipped fees to save £1.79. I think I can get a coffee for £1.79 at one of those trailers on the side of dual carriage ways.

theocb
    Free Member

YES if STW is striving for a community feel then people who use the forum have to accept all parts of the forum and it’s rules.

Lot’s of people come here just to trade crap from their shed to build a pub bike, to build a dream bike at half the cost, to get themselves back on the trail, build up a bike for the other half.. And I would imagine a lot of people have used the classifieds without ever using the other parts of the forum.

Funnily enough some people don’t want to talk crap with the regular never wrong forum dwellers.. real scumbags hey.

tuttonp
    Free Member

“On a point of note,

He has stated he will only refund the remaining £20 IF I contact the STW admins and get his account unlocked.

We suspended his account with a message asking him to get in touch. He has thus far failed to do this. The onus is not on you to ask us to do anything, it’s down to him to make good.”

Cougar – Thanks for your assistance on this. I’m sure the £20 he now has will be a lot less than the money he may have got from the other kit he was trying to flog.

Cougar

To be fair, the seller’s account does go back to 2009. Most problematic sellers would have been outed in that sort of time frame.

It’s hard to know whether it’s an isolated incident or he’s had previous, usually this sort of thing comes out in the wash. Though I suppose it’s a bit Operation Yewtree, people don’t come forward until there’s something to say “ooh, me too” to I guess.

Seems a bit odd that someone would suddenly start quibbling over £20 after several years, it’s not exactly the work of a criminal mastermind.

tuttonp
    Free Member

If I have covered the fees via PP I’m still not sure their buyer protection cover is.

From their terms

“To be eligible for PayPal Purchase Protection you must meet all of the following requirements:

Pay for the eligible item from your Account.

Pay for the full amount of the item with one payment. Items purchased with multiple payments – like a deposit followed by a final payment – are not eligible.

Send the payment to the Seller through:

the eBay “Pay Now” button or the eBay invoice; or

the “Send Money” button of your Account by selecting “eBay Item” and entering your eBay User ID and the eBay item number for purchases on eBay website; or

the Send Money tab on the PayPal website, by clicking the “Purchase” tab, or by selecting the “Checkout with PayPal” button or otherwise selecting PayPal as part of a Seller’s checkout flow.”

As this was a private seller without any of the above, covering the fees wouldn’t have made a jot of difference

Happy for someone to clarify exatly how adding fees would have made a difference in this instance.

zilog6128

Seems a bit odd that someone would suddenly start quibbling over £20 after several years,

From the OP though, it sounds like the seller is not actually quibbling over returning the £20 so much as trying to use it as ransom to get OP to exert pressure on you to unfreeze has account (which is presumably of some value to him due to the posting history).

tuttonp
    Free Member

“From the OP though, it sounds like the seller is not actually quibbling over returning the £20 so much as trying to use it as ransom to get OP to exert pressure on you to unfreeze has account (which is presumably of some value to him due to the posting history). “

That, precisly that

v666ern
    Free Member

Maybe you should leave some feedback* on his original FS thread, that way when someone else checks his history they’ll see that rather than a thread where no ones mentioned the users name?

*wording up to you!

I think you should still put a small courts claim in, just to inconveninace(sp)them

Cougar

it sounds like the seller is not actually quibbling over returning the £20 so much as trying to use it as ransom to get OP to exert pressure on you to unfreeze has account

Which is odd and unnecessary in itself; we told him what to do to when we locked the account. Unless the email address on account is wrong of course, but that’d be a banning offence anyway (to get someone’s attention as we can’t contact them any other way).

If he thinks that holding someone to ransom is the best course of action then the account isn’t getting unlocked whilst I’ve got a hole in my arse.

tuttonp
    Free Member

“If he thinks that holding someone to ransom is the best course of action then the account isn’t getting unlocked whilst I’ve got a hole in my arse.”

This alone is probably just covered the £20 I lost

To those people saying ‘I told you so’ – It’s not the £20, the seller could have just dissappeared into the ether with the original £45, but he didn’t, he refunded £25 and then insisted I get his account access back before he released the remaining money, that’s the action that angers me.

nealglover
    Free Member

As this was a private seller without any of the above, covering the fees wouldn’t have made a jot of difference

Happy for someone to clarify exatly how adding fees would have made a difference in this instance.

You send the money as “paying for goods or services”

The seller pays the fees out of what you send them, so you add a bit on to cover that, so they still receive £45.

Then you are protected, and you would have had your (full) refund by now.

jota180
    Free Member

Just a little tip for the OP here for posting in the discussion forums 😉

If you use the ‘Quote’ button it formats the text much better when replying to something specific.

tuttonp
    Free Member

I would but it would appear the office bolted down version of Firefox (35.0.1) does not offer the ‘quote’ button (just Share+ or Report Post)

Cougar

It’s in the edit box, not on the original posts. You need to C&P as you are doing then highlight it and use the Quote button just above.

Or, you can type it manually, with [ quote ] and [ /quote ] tags (without the spaces though, I had to put those in to stop it rendering them).

tuttonp
    Free Member

Or, you can type it manually, with [ quote ] and [ /quote ] tags (without the spaces though, I had to put those in to stop it rendering them).

Got it 😉

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I also bought some Ultegra shifters from the same seller. Checked his forum history and was cautious of his primarily selling history. I checked the photos which appeared to support his written description.

When they arrived they were incomplete and missing their bar clamps. I realized the photographs had been taken to conceal their omission. I emailed him, he said he would look for and send on some clamps. I’m away from home at the moment so have no idea if any suitable clamps have been posted. I will update this confirmation when I get home.

I paid via PP gift, my mistake, his preferred payment option.

Make your own assessment. Mods, I would support your exclusion of his posting on the forum.

True to his work, some lever clamps arrived in the post.

Sadly they weren’t the correct type.

Poor show vendor.

Cougar

<mod>
    Just an update here.

The OP has confirmed that his refund has now been paid in full.

The seller has sent us an explanation which differs in places from what’s been said here. We’ve no way of knowing how much said by both parties is accurate, which is a large part of why we cannot mediate Classifieds disputes.

Innocent or guilty, or somewhere in the middle, he didn’t have right of reply to the comments being made here which is unfair.

With this in mind, we’ve now unlocked his account.

As with any Classifieds transaction, we’d advise that buyers and sellers exercise caution to ensure goods are as described when making purchases, and avoid Paypal Gift as a payment method.
    </mod>

singlesteed
    Free Member

Could it be that kiddy called Craig who was prosecuted for scamming lots of peopleon here and PinkBike!?

He also came lived in Bournemouth iirc.

If you haven’t been fully refunded yet, I would advise contacting both site mods to give their evidence and hand it to the authorities still.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Could it be that kiddy called Craig who was prosecuted for scamming lots of peopleon here and PinkBike!?

He also came lived in Bournemouth iirc.

So the nameless vendor from Bournemouth refunded me and I posted the shifters back.

When he supplied his postal address it came without a contact name. When asked to provide one, he said the company name would suffice.

singlesteed
    Free Member

Interesting…

And the mystery continues…

tuttonp
    Free Member

I have received my remaining refund.

Suffice to say I’m more than happy not to deal with him again

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

So, onto the big question. Does Cougar still have a hole in his arse? 😀

tuttonp
    Free Member

Cougar – Thank you for your assistance in resolving this.I appreciate you are in a difficult position and understand that you are limited both in terms of info received and what you can actually do. I do however believe that without your involvement I would be £45 down as the seller went silent as soon as I queried the item received and did not contact me until mod intervention. I have posted an image of the chainset I received in the sale thread prior to returning it, it is a much clearer picture than any originally supplied by the seller.

Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Advice Request – Bad Trader failing to make a refund for goods’ is closed to new replies.