• This topic has 4 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Kit.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Advise on riding Pentland Hills, Edinburgh please.
  • bigdan6
    Free Member

I am staying in Edinburgh for a few days (I’ll be travelling by train, so no car) and wondered if anyone had any ideas on which way to cycle from the centre of Edinburgh to the Pentland hills and which tracks/trails to look out for.

Any help much appreciated

Just as reminder I won’t have access to a car,

Thanks

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Fro the centre either head out to Lochin basin at the city end of tha canal and ride out until you hit the water of leith and follow that up to the hills or ride out to Murrayfeild and pick up the WOL there.

choice of climbs up into the hills anywhere from colington to balerono. Some obvious tracks on the OS map well worth doing, some not so obvious need local knowledge or a marked up map to find.

You got memory map? Email me and I can helpo with MM routes or a marked up map or even possibly ride out with you depending on my work

bigdan6
    Free Member

Much appreciated. I have viewranger on my phone and openstreet map highlights a track called Scaletrix (which I’ve since youtubed & it looks quite fun).

Are all tracks rideble in Scotland. Do I have to avoid certain types etc? Or is it quite open access?

Thanks again
    (I’m going up next week tue-fri)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

All tracks are ridable with the caveat of being reasonable IE not cause a nusience and not causing excessive erosion – so caution on the non surfaced trails in the wet.

http://www.pentlandhills.org/downloads/file/29/pentland_hills_regional_park_map

I’ll mark up a map or two for you if you email me – email in profile unless someone has some good route maps available can’t find any on google

Kit
    Free Member

Dan, I might be able to sneak a day off from uni to come join you if you like, weather dependent 😉

Drop me an email (in profile) and we can sort something out nearer the time (no guarantee I’ll be free).

Kit

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Advise on riding Pentland Hills, Edinburgh please.’ is closed to new replies.