Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Advise for racing enduro next year! Which bike would be the best frame or build?
  • onewing
    Free Member

As above im looking to enter a couple of gravity enduros next year! I will be working on my fitness over the winter.

I haven’t got a bike yet so looking to source one before next year!

What do people on here use to race extra.

Thanks in advanced

kimbers

Enduros can be a real mix and often involve climbing as well as technical descents so fitness is definitely required

As for bike …. Anything from 120 to 160 mm travel good brakes, strong wheels, dropper Seatpost , grippy front tyre and as said you need to be able to pedal it, so a dh tank is no good

br
    Free Member

Get a ‘sacrificial’ HT for now, and ride it over winter. Then buy a bike for Enduro’s once fit.

onewing
    Free Member

Thanks for the advise.

Does any one have any kind of training plans or know of any that could aid with fitmess.

I rid mostly downhill and 4x, so the decents should be ok. But its the climing that i will struggle with.

thanks

andyrm
    Free Member

I’d say 160mm travel, slack (64-65 degree) head angle, use an Angleset if necessary.

Short stem (35-50mm)
    Wide bars (740-780mm)
    Run your fork harder than you’d expect to, aim for 15% sag
    Big, grippy front tyre, fast rolling rear

That’s a good starting point 🙂

br
    Free Member

Does any one have any kind of training plans or know of any that could aid with fitmess.

Get out at least twice a week, and put in the miles. Setup Strava and monitor your times on the climbs/descents. And try to ride with folks fitter than you.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

andyrm – Member
    I’d say 160mm travel, slack (64-65 degree) head angle, use an Angleset if necessary.

Run your fork harder than you’d expect to, aim for 15% sagThat’s pro only stuff really. I’ve been riding a 160mm travel 65.5 degree hand angle bike this year and I most definitely wouldn’t like to ride anything slacker than it. I think it’s bang on but a 64 degree head angle enduro bike would handle like a barge and definitely be too much for the UK.

Also, 15% sag is best left to the pros to run too. Most people will be faster running standard 25-30% sag for the extra grip and control.

tmb467
    Free Member

Get an old hard tail – convert it to single speed – ride up hills and down dales

Gearing will keep you fit and lack of gears will improve your flow

Northwind

I’d say why wait, lots of winter enduros, jump in at the deep end. This approach has taken me to many illustrious “halfway down seniors” results.

andyrm
    Free Member

I think it’s bang on but a 64 degree head angle enduro bike would handle like a barge and definitely be too much for the UK.
    Also, 15% sag is best left to the pros to run too.

Probably should have added a disclaimer there that I mentioned my own setup which I run in the UK but is really set up for Italy!

But as you say, 65ish is probably bang on for UK at the moment….

🙂

Sancho
    Free Member

my prep for next season has been to get a DH bike and start doing DH races, now planning on a 650b Kona Process or Carbon Covert, then doing road for overall fitness, riding motorbike enduros to help with strength and endurance, then going to be riding the enduro mtb in to the ground to get completely in tune with it, will be ready to race in a month or so.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Advise for racing enduro next year! Which bike would be the best frame or build?’ is closed to new replies.