Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Advice – XC race kit advice.
  • DT78
    Free Member

So if I hypothetically found myself with £500 to spend what do you think would provide the best performance upgrade for XC racing for someone in their first season –

A. Swapping my steel HT frame out for a scandal/fleabay carbon frame and also swapping my proII/4.2 wheelset for proIII/355 wheelset

Or B. Scouring the market for a giant anthem frame and swapping that for my steel frame and using proII/4.2 wheelset on it

Rest of the parts would be identical, XT / Reba SLs.

njee20
    Free Member

You could buy my 18" fleabay carbon hardtail in near perfect condition, and the wheels (although if I was buying race wheels I'd get ZTR hubs on Alpine rims)!

The Pro 3s really wouldn't be a worthwhile upgrade IMO.

Spend the £500 on getting to more races this year and get more experience.

Stevie-P
    Free Member

Go to the races on your current bike and spend the £500 on a nice biking holiday to remind you that riding your bike is about enjoying it and not about racing 😉

Ok just my opinion, granted, but that's what I'd do.

…now where's my Enduro 6 sign-up form…

cynic-al
    Free Member

Unless your frame is a tank an upgrade will not get you faster times (though FS may be more fun). njee's frame must be good – he's selling it after a couple of months of ownership 😛 Not sure I'd even bother with the wheels. Many folk getting into racing think they MUST have the best kit, but training is more important.

I'd say get a HRM, training book, stuff that makes riding more comfortable (clothing etc), maybe a cheap road bike to train on, and get training – if you are serious about £500 going towards better results.

However, you may just fancy some new kit.

br
    Free Member

Keep the wheels, they are light enough at the moment – but go tubeless and something like Racing Ralphs.

What is the rest of your bike like – decent fork?

Also look at your riding gear – new shoes?

thomthumb
    Free Member

first season

don't bother

you might not like it – you might drift into different racing (24hr etc)

you might really get the bug and want to buy a full on race bike.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

As above train, enter races with current bike and see how you like it, I certainly wouldn't bother with changing your wheel set at the moment it's perfectly Ok for racing.

DT78
    Free Member

Hmmmm doesn't appear to be a resounding reason for me to upgrade.

Races are already kind of already budgeted for & holiday isn't an option, this money is from selling some bike parts & work bonus so was looking to spend it on more new shiny things for the bike before the missus 'allocates' it to the wedding fund.

I raced the Southern XC on Sunday and was interested to see what the other guys were riding in the 'fun' and 'open' categories. The vast majority of people had what I would regard as fairly serious XC bikes whereas I feel mine is more trail focused comfy steel HT (charge duster).

Was racing on mudx's so think I'll try some schwalbes as everyone else seemed to be running them. There was no way for me to capitalise on being faster on singletrack as I couldn't get past the people who were holding me up, and then they were quicker on the flat/uphills.

Forks are reba SL's which seem perfectly fine, clothing/shoes are ok though I haven't quite persuaded myself to go for the full lycra look yet…maybe if I loose a couple of kilos.

flange
    Free Member

I started racing seriously (well, for me) last year and found the best upgrade I could make was a set of light wheels with fast rolling tyres. Made a huge difference to me and after a 2 hour enduro its what I noticed more than a light frame or any other upgrade I made.

Getting your position right is also worth considering, I had my bars waaay to low and after a discussion on here and posting a pic of my steed it was determined that my lower back issues (that really hampered me on enduros) were caused by having the bars too low. For the record I went from a Morning Glory with 140mm forks and 2.2 tyres to a fully rigid On-One Inbred with 1.8 semi-slicks

I also went to Torq for a fitness test and that also really helped – not cheap but well worth doing and has helped me focus my training much more

My results went from 158th in March 2009 to 21st in March 2010 doing the same race (Thetford Winter series Rd4).

fontmoss
    Free Member

good riding kit, tyres and good shoes, then even if you find you don't enjoy it you have something you'll still use. plus if you do enjoy it then get new bike stuff next year which with a seasons racing under your belt you'll be a monster

IanMunro
    Free Member

You could get 2 months worth of EPO for that mid season extra zing.

molgrips
    Free Member

spend the £500 on a nice biking holiday to remind you that riding your bike is about enjoying it and not about racing

Hmm, except he wants to race.. is he wrong?

Chew
    Free Member

'as I couldn't get past the people who were holding me up, and then they were quicker on the flat/uphills'

All of the 'racing' is done on the flat/uphills and a better bike wont help you there. Single track decents are pretty much single file due to the space and speed differential needed to pass.

Best advice is training, so just find some steep hills to ride up and get faster, climbing.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

get your forks TF tuned. They will be better for everything not just racing. I was really surprised at the difference in handling it made to mine.

Get some good shorts. They make a big difference.

Sam

Wheels and tyres are always the first thing to upgrade. Or get a turbo trainer and hurt yourself doing intervals – that will make a bigger difference than £500 worth of gear. Fast tyres and tubeless would be the obvious place to spend cash though.

njee20
    Free Member

All of the 'racing' is done on the flat/uphills and a better bike wont help you there

Huh? Isn't there where a bike will help?!

Ignore what other people use, particularly re tyre choice, it's so personal. Although Schwalbe are certainly popular, I found Rocket Rons excellent on Sunday.

brassneck

£500 roadbike and get out in the evenings doing some intervals up your nearest nasty hill. Less hassle, less cleaning = more training time.. and if you get the bug buy a specific racing bike in the future or upgrade.

molgrips
    Free Member

+1 for tubeless. Makes a big difference to speed. Don't bother with a turbo trainer – they are hell to use and you may well be able to do just as well with a hill. I never use mine, preferring to go out even in the dark and rain.

njee20
    Free Member

njee's frame must be good – he's selling it after a couple of months of ownership

I've had it for 3 months I'll have you know! Team wants me to ride my team bike, finances dictate I need to flog the Pedal Force, what is it people say… 'legitimate reason for sale' 😉

Agree with tubeless, Mud Xs are designed to be run that way, and Schwalbe tyres will convert nicely.

IainGillam
    Free Member

Go full Lycra and get a road bike for training.

Iain

sofatester
    Free Member

– Buy a decent heart rate monitor and learn how to use it.

– Learn the principles of training relating to the events you intend to compete in.

– Educate yourself in the ways of nutrition and race preparation, both physically and mentally.

– Get your bike reliable and smooth running.

– Spend as little money as possible and enjoy yourself 😀

YellowBelly
    Free Member

£500 will get you:

Cheap road bike
    Heart rate monitor
    Turbo trainer

You will blitz your previous performances much more than a new set of wheels/tyres would

Be careful tho'….its a fine line between 'going for a ride' and 'going for a training ride' cos you'll end up doing the latter before you know it.

Oh, and eat less*.

* as part of a controlled balanced diet

njee20
    Free Member

What's the problem with going for a training ride? If you enjoy training, and the end goal is to race faster, it kinda makes sense…

Edit: and surely at the point of which you're going out with an HRM you're training anyway, like it or not!

ac282

On a sunny sunday going for a ride is great, but riding with a purpose will help.

When its a miserable Tuesday morning you won't get out of bed unless there is a specific goal/you believe this session will make you faster.

molgrips
    Free Member

Training is not necessarily the same as going for a ride. Training can be grim at times, and you have to do it regardless otherwise you'll not get the benefits.

In winter, as I get togged up to go out in the dark late at night in lashing rain, people look at me strangely and ask 'how can that be fun?' When I reply 'no, it's not' they look at me even more strangely.

You have to want it.

Having said that you can race and enjoy it with just having done lots of recreational riding.. just don't expect to win anything 🙂

brakeswithface

500 quid for a road bike and a turbo sounds a bit optimistic?

IA

My old decathlon was 270 – new. And perfectly good for tooling about on.

Plenty change there for a turbo. And maybe a good raincoat.

njee20
    Free Member

Second hand on both, certainly doable.

molgrips
    Free Member

Turbos are awful. Avoid. DO NOT waste your cash on one, you'll hate it 🙂

brakeswithface

I stand corrected!

molgrips
    Free Member

Step away from the turbo!

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Advice – XC race kit advice.’ is closed to new replies.