Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Advice: what size bike for a ten year old who is 5 foot tall with 27" inside leg
  • ColdAndWet
    Free Member

Hi all

I need to get a new bike for my son who has outgrown his 24″ wheel Cube 240

He is 5ft tall (150cm) with 27″ inside leg (68cm)

An Islabike Creig 26 would fit but too expensive

It’s hard to find adult 26″ now and I wonder if a 27.5 even on a small frame would be too hard for him to handle and ride?

Any suggestions?

Has anyone got an a small 26″ they want to sell? Needs to be reasonably light and somewhere near the Peak District to collect!

Cheers

Neil

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

He’s in adult bike territory now, go to your LBS 🙂
    My 9 year old nephew is riding a 13in framed 650B Trek and it won’t be long before he needs something bigger.
    Don’t worry about 26in wheels, wheel size doesn’t matter, standover and frame size is the key. its generally possible to skip a size here and there as kids grow, quite often it’s possible to go straight from 20in to 26in, for example, you don’t have to buy every single size as they grow!

EDIT
    He’s 147cm tall, so shorter than your lad.

ColdAndWet
    Free Member

Thank you
    That’s really helpful!
    So I can look at 650B’s without worrying about the large wheels – lots more choice

Cheers

Neil

middleagedmadness
    Free Member

my lads just hit 5ft hes now on a giant stance small frame 27.5 wheels, I was worried about the wheel size for him but he rolls over everything much easier than he did on his old ridgeback mx24 , it seems to have given him more confidence , we don’t do massive rides just follow the dog and a bit of off piste around Cannock , the weight dosent seem to have made too much difference to him

renton
    Free Member

Hi mate.

I managed to get this for my ten year old ……

I’m pretty sure it’s classed as a xs size frame but it’s a 15″ if that helps.

Cost me £130 after a bit of haggling as it needed a few things.

ColdAndWet
    Free Member

Nice looking bike!
    Good cross thread posting!
    Now I need to make a decision and buy something…
    Cheers
    Neil

takisawa2

My lad isn’t quite 5ft & happily rides his 15″ Hotrock.
    In fact, before I could stop him, he had dropped the post & took off on my medium Puffin the other day.
    He has now announced he wants a Fat bike.

BigDummy
    Free Member

My girlfriend’s 11-year old daughter is on a 15″ Ragley Mmmbop in 650b flavour. Seems to be alright – standover is nice and low.

stevextc
    Free Member

So I can look at 650B’s without worrying about the large wheels – lots more choice

Not entirely…
    It probably depends what type of riding and their weight as well.
    My 7yr old can “ride*” my medium 650B (*as in down a fire trail) but he wouldn’t stand a chance on a technical run

The Cube has really really long (426mm) chainstays (longer than my 27.5 trail and about the same as my 27.5 XC) so if they can manual the cube easily then you probably have more options as most adult bikes will be as easy or no harder… but that then depends which bike…. If you are buying an XS or S then it would be better for trails to buy one designed as a XS/S (i.e. shorter chainstays) rather than a medium that’s just a shorter top tube.

The other thing is if they need their weight back then obviously the 27.7 tyre will take more space (I find on the kids 24er he will be touching the wheel with his bum)

Overall, if you want to ride trails I’d say find a trail hire centre with a XS and do a half day’s hire… see how it works out and what if any specific problems he has

lazybike
    Free Member

He’d fit on a 16″ Carrera Vengeance/Vulcan..

ColdAndWet
    Free Member

Thanks everyone – all this info is really useful
    And it kind of demonstrates my lack of real understanding and knowledge about bike geometry – something I’ve been aware of but never done anything to learn
    Good idea about hiring for a day Steve – thanks for detailed reply

Cheers

Neil

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Advice: what size bike for a ten year old who is 5 foot tall with 27" inside leg’ is closed to new replies.