Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Advice sought on fold up commuter bicycles please…
  • edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

Basically, what is a comfortable distance to use them for and what is an average speed i.e. I assume you travel less quickly than a road bike/mountain bike with slicks? Also, what are the good brands to get for reliability, comfortability etc?

Cheers for any help…

kilo

Got a brompton, rides quite well although I’ve not done more than a few miles in one hit. Seem to hold their value,i bought mine second hand and it was £450 for a two speed version. A freind had a Decathlon one for a six mile commute across London and she really rated it

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

Cheers @kilo..I’m wondering if six miles is a doable distance…thinking of cycling between two offices and it’s about that distance (and relatively flat).

clodhopper
    Free Member

Bromptons are great if you want the smallest folding bike that actually works as a bike. I’ve never found it comfortable over longer distances, I’d much rather have a ‘proper’ bike for anything over a few miles or so. Six miles is fine.

Larger wheeled (18, 20″)folders are more comfortable over longer distances, ride a bit nicer (Bromptons are very ‘twitchy’), but are invariably heavier and generally nowhere as convenient as a Brompton. Often much cheaper though. But then, Bromptons are made in the UK, London in fact. Excellent back up if needed. Great range of luggage accessories (again, very expensive!). They’re even ‘cool’. 8)

Just don’t try taking it in my local post office, even folded. Even when other people have massive prams and stuff in there. Because the miserable **** behind the counter will ban you for life. Everywhere else on Earth will let you take it in though. 🙂

aP
    Free Member

I do 5 miles each way on my Brompton every day. It’s fine, once a week I’ll have meetings elsewhere, I’ll get the train in and cycle to the meetings before cycling home – it’s 16 miles home, that’s also fine on a Brompton. Not as fast as a road bike but more versatile in town.

riddoch

There was a Tesco metro in Epsom I think that was kicking people out with Bromptons.

People go touring on them so no problem with longer distances. If I ever get a place in the ride London I fully intend doing it on my Brompton.

benp1

Really rate my Brompton, it’s ace. It’s been into poncy restaurants, the tube, shops, supermarkets, offices etc really is good!

My commute to work is about 10 miles and it’s fine for that. It’s definitely less fast and comfy than a normal bike, but it’s also surprisingly normal. To be clear, it gets taken to work about once a fortnight, rest of the time is on a normal bike

The most I’ve done in a day on it is just under 50 miles, longest ride is about 20 odd miles – bum was hurting after that though!

I have the 3 speed bike. It’s plenty of gears but could do with a lwoer one with really loaded up

It’s also a surprisingly capable bike. It’s done light off road (e.g. gravel tracks), carried my son/daughter and shopping, all sorts of kit (I use the IT chair for my kids, a Game Bag for the front, and a Carradice SQR bag if I really need the space)

I only take use it in the following circumstances
    – need to take public transport
    – have a number of meetings and don’t know about safe storage/parking
    – need the flexibility of being able to take in with me
    – need the option of being able to bail out at some point

It’s also useful in other circumstances. For example, I’m going to meet some mates in the pub tonight. I might take the Brompton as I could get a lift home if someone is driving. Taking a normal bike means I’m cycling both ways for sure!

It’s really handy being able to lob it in the boot, I’ve been on a few rides that were impromptu because I happened to have it in the boot

onandon
    Free Member

I did 126 miles on my Dahon folder. Folders can be very comfy depending on how tall you are.
    Some danhons have extendable handle bar posts and saddles so you can get an exact fit.

Only thing that takes some getting used to is the twitchy/ direct steering.

clodhopper
    Free Member

One top tip if you do buy a Brompton (or other small folder); buy one of those cheap plastic zip-up laundry bags that it’ll fit into, just in case you get someone moaning about it being a bit dirty, or you need to take it on the tube in rush hour etc. Brompton do their own bag, but it’s something stupid like £25. Laundry bag will be £3 or so.

benp1

The Ikea Dimpa is the bag that most recommend

Personally I bought the Brompton cover instead. Packs up smaller and covers the bike to allow you to take it into somewhere that might not be keen or cover it up in the car

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Advice sought on fold up commuter bicycles please…’ is closed to new replies.