Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Advice sought on 3 Specialized bikes
  • hiddenvalley
    Free Member

Hi All…………I have a great merlin Malt 4 hard tail but wish to add a full suss to my collection.

I like the specialized brand in particular and are stuck on deciding if its the the stumpy, epic, or the new pitch. I do realise there is less travel on the epic but only weighing 10 and half stone would this matter? I like the epic as it is lighter and therefore be faster uphills I guess.

Would be grateful for anyones advice. I do ride rough terrain where there are bumps and rocks such as afan and cwmcarn.

Would also consider a trek fuel ex

Much appreciated

psychle
    Free Member

Do you actually ride fast up hills, ie. racing? Or do you jsut winch your way up and then have us much fun as possible on the way down? 😀

psychle
    Free Member

btw… how’d you get your name to be – ?

takisawa2

If you were to keep just one I’d say the Stumpy.
    If your keeping the Malt also I’d say the Pitch.
    I’d rule the Epic out as a bit race orientated, although plenty will disagree.

rs
    Free Member

this is quite easy, if you prefer uphills go for an epic, bit of everything go for the stumpy or really just happy to make it to the top so you can play on the downhills go for the pitch.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Pretty much right RS. I have an Epic and a Stumpy. The Epic gets used for long all day rides as it’s a little lighter and a lot more efficient. If I’m going to Lakes/Peaks/Scotland then the Stumpy comes with me.

hiddenvalley
    Free Member

thanks so far……dont know why my user name is not showing…..its Hiddenvalley…..looks like my name has alo been hidden too!!!

Anyhow…I am keeping the malt 4.

I dont race or race uphill but dont want to be hindered by a heavier bike thats why I was pondering over the stumpy. Is the pitch lighter than the stumpy??

psychle
    Free Member

Stumpy is lighter than a Pitch.. I have an Enduro (an upmarket Pitch really) and don’t find it a hinderance climbing (though I winch my way up, no racing for me!). On the downs though, having 6″ of travel can be very nice 😀

hiddenvalley
    Free Member

ok good response so far…..so if I wanted to do Morzine for example I guess the stumpy or Pitch….would I not get away with using the Epic??

J0N
    Free Member

The pitch is not a ‘heavy’ bike for what it is and could be built <30lbs.
    the stumpy is a great bike and can go down hills very well but may not be best if you a doing any drops regularly.
    Epic is very speed focused.
    I think the biigest worry for going up hill would be the angles of the bikes.
    Can you not go and test ride any of these?

ampthill

Err…. I thought the UK was staight out of Pitch’s in all models and all sizes

A dealer showed me the UK stock levels

Spec had one medium Pitch Comp left, that was it

hiddenvalley
    Free Member

thanks to all that replied. I heard that the pitch is out of stock ….so I guess that knocks it down to the epic & stumpy then.

Could I just ask one question….would the 4 inch travel on the epic be a problem going down rocky descents bearing in mind I am only 10st 7lbs

cheers

iolo
    Free Member

Why would your weight have anything to do with it.
    Set the correct pressure and it will be fine whatever you ride.
    I sold my 07 heckler to buy an Epic as its a quicker all round bike.
    I love it as I’m a whole lot quicker climbing and not really a lot slower on descents.
    I’ve had major issues with shocks blowing but that seems to have been resolved now.
    Get an Epic – You’ll love it.
    For what its worth I’m 10st 4 ride my Epic a lot.

grumm
    Free Member

You really need to test ride some different bikes. I love my Pitch but I am definitely in the ‘winch up slowly and play on the downs’ category. But when I came from a hardtail I thought I wanted a short travel bike like an Epic as I found a hardtail fine.

When I tested lots of different bikes I found I enjoyed longer travel bikes more.

The Epic will handle rocky descents fine, it just likely won’t feel as smooth as with the Pitch or Stumpy. If you intend doing bigger drops or jumps then try and get a Pitch. Aren’t Pitch comps still available?

druidh
    Free Member

Epic for all-day, big mountain routes? Or better with the Stumpy?

rs
    Free Member

if your keeping the hardtail and can’t get a pitch, then go for the stumpy.

hiddenvalley
    Free Member

thanks Iolo….my weight I thought was relevant as if heavier that would increase the chance of me bottoming out the rear shock.

Grumm I think youre right…despite all good advice with many in both camps I guess you have just gotta go ride and test em both. Also I see Evans I think have got the pitch comp in medium

cheers everyone

hiddenvalley

grumm
    Free Member

if heavier that would increase the chance of me bottoming out the rear shock.

The shop you buy the bike off should set up the rear shock for your weight or you can do it with a shock pump. Although I do think that a less burly bike probably would suit someone lighter better than it would me. 😉

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Advice sought on 3 Specialized bikes’ is closed to new replies.